Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

RedTigerFish
I am very fond of VIM and have been so accustomed to its style of typing and
entering.
Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

-----
Dig, dig where you are,
Down below's well.
Let those that walk in darkness shout,
Down below's hell.
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
Dig, dig where you are,
Down below's well.
Let those that walk in darkness shout,
Down below's hell.

Re: Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 06:49:00PM -0700, RedTigerFish wrote:
> I am very fond of VIM and have been so accustomed to its style of typing and
> entering.
> Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

There is the SVI package by Steven Swerling. You can find in in the SqueakMap
package loader. It is probably 10 years out of date by now, so I don't know
if it still works. It would be worth trying this if you have an interest, and
if it does not work out of the box I'm sure there will be help available here
on the list.

See also http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1844

Personally, I am a vi user but I do not bother with these things when working
in Smalltalk. There's just not all that much typing involved :-)

Dave

Re: Is it possible to make squeak workspace vim-like?

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there!

If you want to dive into it, see:

TextEditor class >> #initialize*Shortcuts
TextEditor >> #dispatchOnKeyboardEvent:

If you would build your own subclass of TextEditor (or SmalltalkTextEditor), you could use it via "TextMorph defaultEditorClass: MyNewTextEditor" in all standard tools.

Best,
Marcel