Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

Totally Objects-3
Hi there.
I am prototyping an iPad app in VAST 8.5.2. The app will get its data from a remote server with all access over http. I have the the app in one image - currently 8.5.2 - and I have the server running on the same maching under 6.0.2. Is there any way that I can run two 8.5.2 images on the single machine as I would like to have the same environment for both?

David

Re: Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

Thomas Koschate-2
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:09:35 AM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:

Is there any way that I can run two 8.5.2 images on the single machine as I would like to have the same environment for both?

I quite frequently run multiple development environments simultaneously.  The key requirement is that one use emsrv for repository access rather than relying on file access.  Ideally, you run the repository server on a completely different machine but it isn't necessary.

Tom

Re: Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

jtuchel
David,

you can run many images, even different versions in parallel. I do this often. The technical requirement is described by Tom already. There is, however, another problem: once you have many windows open, it is hard to tell which image they belong to :-)  But if you find a scheme for your window positioning when working with multiple images, there's nothing that stops you.

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 13:09:35 UTC+1 schrieb Totally Objects:s
Joachim

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:07:50 PM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:

There is, however, another problem: once you have many windows open, it is hard to tell which image they belong to :-)  But if you find a scheme for your window positioning when working with multiple images, there's nothing that stops you.

One of the ways I mitigate this problem is to keep each image in its own directory.  In this way, I can create a unique abt.cnf for each image.

The abt.cnf can contain commands such as

    StsPowerTools enhancedListColor: (CgRGBColor red: 16rFFFF green: 16rE7E7 blue: 16rBABA)

which can be customised for each image, allowing easy visual identification of the image.  You might also want to play with setting fonts as well.

Tom

Re: Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

Totally Objects-3
Hi Tom

I was going by the fact that I was trying to install a second copy and that wouldn't work. You would have thought that after 17 or so years using VAST that I would know better! I copied the image, changed the paths in the abt.ini and both images work fine. I actively want two manager.dat files as I want to keep the server from utilising client code and vice versa. This way I don't get distracted.

Thanks for the help.

David

Re: Is it possible to run two development images on a single computer?

Thomas Koschate-2
After enough years, we start to forget what we know.

I'd probably still use emsrv and specify the manager in the ini file - you just never know when you'll want multiple images on the same repository.

Thomas Koschate                              <a href="tel:+1%20416.716.5949">+1 416.716.5949
[hidden email]                    FAX:  <a href="tel:+1%20905.451.9268">+1 905.451.9268

Hi Tom

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:55:51 PM UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:
You can also download a virtual desktop manager, like windowspager, and open an image in each desktop.  This has worked well for me.

I routinely do that for client/server development, but sometimes you're trying to reconcile some code differences, and then there's just nothing for it but to open two images side by each.  Also, if you're routinely working with multiple images, it's still better to have some sort of visual indicator that's automatically set.

Tom