Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

Ricardo Pacheco
IMHO, one important aspect to deliver comercial solutions for customers in an
environment like Pharo is to be able to protect certain code or algorithms
developed by the company. It possible to have some clases compiled and
closed to the eyes of customers? Or it is posible to have some kind of
access control to edit clases?

A bit of context for my question.
In the company I work for in Mexico we have been using a similar live coding
environment for 30 years with great results. The environment we used until a
couple of years ago is named G2 by Gensym; lisp based internally,  with is
own natural language like syntax for developers, with a very powerful
backward ans forwards chaining rule engine, an excellent toolkit to create
visual components and a wonderful VNC like and lightwaight
client(Telewindows) that makes visual interactions with a remote G2 very
easy with a very small bandwidth use. Until a couple of years ago, we
developed on it tailor made supply chain solutions and mathematical models;
since then we moved to Java and .NET.
We wish we could stay with live coding, but the draw back with that platform
we used is that is really expensive for customers and the company has been
changing hands to more lawyer oriented owners, because of its installed
based license fees and IP portfolio. So, getting to know Pharo makes me very
enthusiastic about the possibility to move back to live coding.

Thanks for the response.

Ricardo

Re: Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi ricardo

- You can ship pharo without sources. In fact the sources are not used
during execution (just for the human).
- You can ship pharo without debugger. This is one line of code.
- Soon we expect to be able to remove the compiler and the decompiler :).
- You can also control that the commandline does not allow code execution

Now this is not user friendly. We wan with esteban to provide a way to
deploy applications (by opposition of code).
So I can tell you that we want to have a process and tooling to help for that.
I you need help to get you started with Pharo let us know.

stef

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Ricardo Pacheco
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMHO, one important aspect to deliver comercial solutions for customers in an
> environment like Pharo is to be able to protect certain code or algorithms
> developed by the company. It possible to have some clases compiled and
> closed to the eyes of customers? Or it is posible to have some kind of
> access control to edit clases?
>
> A bit of context for my question.
> In the company I work for in Mexico we have been using a similar live coding
> environment for 30 years with great results. The environment we used until a
> couple of years ago is named G2 by Gensym; lisp based internally,  with is
> own natural language like syntax for developers, with a very powerful
> backward ans forwards chaining rule engine, an excellent toolkit to create
> visual components and a wonderful VNC like and lightwaight
> client(Telewindows) that makes visual interactions with a remote G2 very
> easy with a very small bandwidth use. Until a couple of years ago, we
> developed on it tailor made supply chain solutions and mathematical models;
> since then we moved to Java and .NET.
> We wish we could stay with live coding, but the draw back with that platform
> we used is that is really expensive for customers and the company has been
> changing hands to more lawyer oriented owners, because of its installed
> based license fees and IP portfolio. So, getting to know Pharo makes me very
> enthusiastic about the possibility to move back to live coding.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Ricardo

Re: Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

Ricardo Pacheco
Wow, that sounds great. Thanks a lot!!

Ricardo

Re: Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

kilon.alios
If you make a morph maximise and pin it down, it will cover the entire pharo windows and wont be movable and will make it impossible for the user to interact with the IDE even via shorcuts. If I am wrong on shortcuts I hope someone correct me but last time I checked that was the case.

Command line wise, command line api is very elegant, very simple to add and remove arguments.

Those will block the user from controlling Pharo.

Soruce code visibility:

1) What stef said, delte sources
2) If you use monticello the traditional way ,it saves in mcz files which are jus zip files with source code files inside. Created every time you save to a local or remote repo
3) Delete any fileouts, those produce st files too, smalltalk source code files
4) if you use filetree that uses source files too but generally you would pick a directory outside pharo
5) changes files also contain source code you modified or added
6) We hava new recovery tool, I forget the name, has its own file format I dont rememebr if it uses text files like changes, it might, check that out too.

Generally anywhere you spot a file with st extension its a source code file, delete it or move it away. We may use an image format but we generate a ton of source code files for various reason as you can see.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:27 PM Ricardo Pacheco <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow, that sounds great. Thanks a lot!!

Ricardo

Re: Is possible to keep some code closed in Pharo?

Ricardo Pacheco
Thanks a lot for the info!!