Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Tim M
I have hunted through the new group and read DSDN (including Chris' nice
long explanation on Icons) - but is it really true that the only way to have
a different application icon for my .exe is to use a resource editor to change
the !APPLICATION icon resource?

I was hoping it was just some property in the Lagoon wizard (e.g. I can edit
my application copyright info in there) or that there was some automatable
strategy.

Do I have to use ResHacker or equvalent? Or has someone come up with a command
line tool that can do this?

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Tim,

> but is it really true that the only way to have
> a different application icon for my .exe is to use a resource editor to change
> the !APPLICATION icon resource?

I believe that is the case, unless there was another way added in D6?

> Do I have to use ResHacker or equvalent? Or has someone come up with a command
> line tool that can do this?

You can drive ResHacker with scripts. Below is a script and batch file
that I use (It is for D5 ... I have not done any real deploying with D6
yet)

=========
script.txt
//
[FILENAMES]
Exe="C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\My Documents\Dolphin Smalltalk
5.1\Stubs515\GUIToGo.exe"
SaveAs=GUIToGoMyApp.exe

[COMMANDS]
-delete ICONGROUP,"!APPLICATION",2057
-delete Bitmap,"EDITBAR.BMP",2057
-delete Bitmap,"FILEBAR.BMP",2057
-delete Bitmap,"FINDBAR.BMP",2057
-delete Bitmap,"LISTBAR.BMP",2057
-delete Bitmap,"VIEWBAR.BMP",2057
-addoverwrite
"C:\MyApp\Icons\!APPLICATION.ico",ICONGROUP,"!APPLICATION",0
-addoverwrite "C:\MyApp\Icons\blank.ico",ICONGROUP,"BLANK.ICO",0
-addoverwrite "C:\MyApp\Icons\MyApp.exe.manifest",24,1,1033

=========
script.cmd
//
..\ResHacker.exe -script script.txt

=========
It also removes unneeded resources that you mentioned elsewhere.

Steve

Re: Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Tim M
Hi Steve,

> You can drive ResHacker with scripts. Below is a script and batch file
> that I use (It is for D5 ... I have not done any real deploying with
> D6 yet)

Hey thanks, I never thought of checking if ResHacker had a scripting function
- that will certainly do it!

Andy/Blair - can you add a feature request to let us specify an icon for
the final .exe in the lagoon wizard - this does seem like a roundabout way
of doing something which should be quite simple.

Tim

Re: Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Support at Object Arts
"Tim M" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi Steve,
>
>> You can drive ResHacker with scripts. Below is a script and batch file
>> that I use (It is for D5 ... I have not done any real deploying with
>> D6 yet)
>
> Hey thanks, I never thought of checking if ResHacker had a scripting
> function - that will certainly do it!
> Andy/Blair - can you add a feature request to let us specify an icon for
> the final .exe in the lagoon wizard - this does seem like a roundabout way
> of doing something which should be quite simple.

There has been such a feature request for quite a long time (well it has the
lowest unclosed defect number or 67 anyway), but because manipulating icons
in resources is non-trivial, and because there are good workarounds, we have
never quite got around to it.

Regards

OA

Re: Is resource editting my ToGo exe the only way to change my application icon?

Chris Uppal-3
Tim,

> I was hoping it was just some property in the Lagoon wizard (e.g. I can
> edit my application copyright info in there) or that there was some
> automatable strategy.

There is a limited ability to set the version strings from the package's
properties and/or Lagoon (its the same thing just reached via different
routes).  That includes the copyright string which shows up in the .exe's
"properties" page (properites=>imageStripper->versionResource).  It may be that
you can also set up other string tables from there, but I have tried it myself.
If you want more than that then there is nothing "in the box".

> Do I have to use ResHacker or equvalent? Or has someone come up with a
> command line tool that can do this?

Some time ago I put together a moderately complete package for manipulating
graphical resources from Dolphin (icons, bitmaps, etc).   It turns out that the
underlying Windows APIs are themselves buggy, and the workaround I devised is
so ugly that, although it seems to work, I never went back and integrated it
properly into the package.  Still, I do use that stuff in my own deployment
code, and I haven't seen any problems so far.   I'm not convinced that it
offers any really strong advantages over scripting ResHacker, but if anyone's
interested I'll finish the integration and publish it somewhere.

    -- chris