Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Wouter Gazendam
Hi,

Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready? Running an
image prepared with the ImageWriter under Ubuntu 64 and loading
packages from store does sporadically result in a crash.

Wouter

Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Ian Upright-2
Hi Wouter,

We have been using 7.5 on Ubuntu 64-bit and haven't noticed any serious
problems, during runtime at least.  I got my first crash loading
something out of store today, but I've been using it for a while now and
haven't experienced this as of yet.  Strange.  I've also noticed some
performance problems in loading packages with a lot of shared variables,
or defining shared variables..  I wonder if it might somehow be related
to the crashes when loading from store, or if it's totally unrelated.

I would be interested in hearing other people's experiences with the
64-bit VM.

Ian

Wouter Gazendam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready? Running an
> image prepared with the ImageWriter under Ubuntu 64 and loading
> packages from store does sporadically result in a crash.
>
> Wouter

Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Yea, I'm still waiting for win version to see where the shared perm space benefit breaking point for us would be. Here's to hoping it comes out sooner than later...

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Wouter Gazendam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready? Running an
> image prepared with the ImageWriter under Ubuntu 64 and loading
> packages from store does sporadically result in a crash.
>
> Wouter

Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Eliot Miranda-2

On 5/20/07, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yea, I'm still waiting for win version to see where the shared perm space benefit breaking point for us would be. Here's to hoping it comes out sooner than later...

you know that shared perm support is not yet implemented for any platform don't you?

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Wouter Gazendam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready? Running an
> image prepared with the ImageWriter under Ubuntu 64 and loading
> packages from store does sporadically result in a crash.
>
> Wouter

Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Umm, no, I do not. Where did all the talk about it come from then? Hype machine at work? In all my mentions to various people at sts you're the first to point out an obvious hole :)

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

        Wouter Gazendam wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready? Running an
        > image prepared with the ImageWriter under Ubuntu 64 and loading
        > packages from store does sporadically result in a crash.
        >
        > Wouter

Re: Is the 64 bit VM production ready?

Martin McClure
Wouter Gazendam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the 64 bit VM considered anywhere near production ready?

In my limited experience, no. As I reported week before last about 7.5
on Linux:

   I had trouble keeping it running -- the VM would exit on parcel loads,
   use of Store, etc.  These were not repeatable, but I don't think I
   ever kept the thing running for more than five minutes at a time.

I'm running on a modern Linux box. 32-bit VW is quite stable in this
environment. But in 64-bit, some times the VM would just exit, other
times I'd get a walkback saying something like "about to execute invalid
bytecode", and the VM would exit a couple of seconds later.

If someone has suggestions on how to get debugging information, I could
try to get some.

Regards,

-Martin