Is the Playground the Workspace?

Dan

Is the Playground the Workspace?

Dan
I am a complete noob when it comes to Smalltalk. I have chosen both Squeak and Pharo to learn this language. I am doing so just for my own knowledge and to try and keep my aging brain active. I may choose down the road to concentrate on one of the Smalltalk variants but right now I'm going to go with both.

My question: All of the documentation refers to a Workspace. Sqeak has one but all I find in Pharo is the Playground. Does the Playground serve as the  Pharo Workspace?

Thanks for your time,

Dan

Re: Is the Playground the Workspace?

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Daniel Roe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am a complete noob when it comes to Smalltalk. I have chosen both Squeak
> and Pharo to learn this language. I am doing so just for my own knowledge
> and to try and keep my aging brain active. I may choose down the road to
> concentrate on one of the Smalltalk variants but right now I'm going to go
> with both.
>
> My question: All of the documentation refers to a Workspace. Sqeak has one
> but all I find in Pharo is the Playground. Does the Playground serve as the
> Pharo Workspace?

Yes, this is a more elaborate Workspace.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Is the Playground the Workspace?

CyrilFerlicot
The playground is not the workspace.
You can open a workspace by executing this : Workspace open.

But the playground replace the workspace and all the doc will be
updated to refers to the Playground.
Almost everything you could do on a Workspace can be done in the Playground.

If you follow Pharo By Example you might have some difficulties with
Pharo 4 because PBE was for Pharo 1.

We are updating it to Pharo 4 but that takes time. You can find a
version here : https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/UpdatedPharoByExample/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/UpdatedPharoByExample.pdf

But keep in mind that it's not finish.

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: Is the Playground the Workspace?

Sergio Fedi
Yes, and it also offers additional features.

It remembers the code you've written/executed (someone correct me please)
(it saves them in a directory called name-cache or somothing like that)

​If you rename the tab you get a file with that name. And you can search for that piece of code later with the Spotter (sfhit+enter)

You can evaluate and inspect something in the same window: try Alt+Shift+G or pressing the little green play button top right.

There may be more features that I don't recall right now.

Cheers.

Re: Is the Playground the Workspace?

Sergio Fedi
Question to Daniel:

Did you try to know something about the tool before in the IDE?

For example, did you try to read the About of the tool?

(I'm trying to determine how useful/accesible are the help features of the tools)