Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

tty

Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

tty
First, thank you for the new site. It looks great.

Is the source code for squeak.org available for people to putter with and try out new ideas?

thx.

tty

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

David T. Lewis
I don't know any of the specifics for the squeak.org site (Chris
Cunnington may be able to give you a better answer), but I know that the
new site is done with Altitude, which is MIT licensed and freely
available:

http://news.squeak.org/2012/07/23/altitude-in-the-cloud/

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2012-July/164881.html

Dave

> First, thank you for the new site. It looks great.
>
> Is the source code for squeak.org available for people to putter with and
> try out new ideas?
>
> thx.
>
> tty

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

Yanni Chiu
On 26/03/2014 9:25 AM, gettimothy wrote:
> First, thank you for the new site. It looks great.
>
> Is the source code for squeak.org available for people to putter with
> and try out new ideas?

I think you want to ask this on the Squeak mailing list.

IIUC, the new site is done using the Altitude framework (a sort of
Seaside-NG).

--
Yanni

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

Chris Muller-3
> IIUC, the new site is done using the Altitude framework (a sort of
> Seaside-NG).

What does "NG" mean?

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

Herbert König
I assumed Next Generation like Startrek TNG :-))

Herbert

Am 27.03.2014 15:39, schrieb Chris Muller:
>> IIUC, the new site is done using the Altitude framework (a sort of
>> Seaside-NG).
> What does "NG" mean?

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

timrowledge

> On 26/03/2014 9:25 AM, gettimothy wrote:
>> First, thank you for the new site. It looks great.
>>
>> Is the source code for squeak.org available for people to putter with
>> and try out new ideas?

ChrisC pointed out that the Altitude image etc is at http://www.chriscunnington.com/squeak.org.zip
Use the do-it in the squeaksite.st file to start up, aim your browser at localhost:8264 and play away. Frankly the combination of fairly raw html assembly and CSS scares the hell out of me and I ran away, very fast.

tim
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things.

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

Colin Putney-3

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
I assumed Next Generation like Startrek TNG :-))

Well, it's certainly inspired by Seaside. The Seaside community doesn't seem interested in going in this direction, though, so it's not likely to become a future version of Seaside.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

ChrisC pointed out that the Altitude image etc is at http://www.chriscunnington.com/squeak.org.zip
Use the do-it in the squeaksite.st file to start up, aim your browser at localhost:8264 and play away.

There's no documentation for Altitude, but I'm happy to answer any questions here on the list. Chris has been a brave pioneer in adopting Altiude, so my hat goes off to him!

Frankly the combination of fairly raw html assembly and CSS scares the hell out of me and I ran away, very fast.

Lately, I've been writing apps that have static HTML and CSS served off the filesystem, with the server generating only JSON. That tends to be better for fancy modern UI. :-)

Colin

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a download

Chris Muller-3
Interesting, so does the JSON participate in control of the UI (HTML)
elements or is it strictly domain information?  What do you use for
your JSON parsing and generating?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting, so does the JSON participate in control of the UI (HTML)
elements or is it strictly domain information?  What do you use for
your JSON parsing and generating?

Altitude includes code for generating and parsing JSON. On the client, Javascript code combines the JSON data with templates to render the UI; the JSON itself contains no code, it's just data. It might not be strictly domain models, though; it sometimes includes UI-oriented data.

Colin

tty

Re: Is the source for squeak.org available as a    download

tty
I think it is important to have the source to the site to encourage "crazy ideas" being developed by interested parties.

If somehow, I get the time, I was thinking along the lines of "user distro's" that are tailored to the quirks of a user's interests--things like  funsqueak, or the Seaside all-in-one.
I know that Nicolai Suslov has his interests that are interesting.
It would be very helpful to have a cut of whatever Eliot is developing on available for download as a zip.
Steve Wessel's has done some interesting things

I do know that without the source code, it would never happen even if I do get the time.

Thanks again for the source.

tty

---- On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 11:25:41 -0700 tim Rowledge<[hidden email]> wrote ----