Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'd like to see something done *well* (i.e. beautiful OOP) in Morphic.  All the tutorials I've seen are simple games, or with very simple models (e.g. a ClockMorph that just queries a time and updates).  Ideally, it'd be like Seaside's todo list example, where a user could add to (e.g. new task) and change (e.g. change task due date) the model, but in Morphic.

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Stéphane Rollandin
> I'd like to see something done *well* (i.e. beautiful OOP) in Morphic.  All
> the tutorials I've seen are simple games, or with very simple models (e.g. a
> ClockMorph that just queries a time and updates).  Ideally, it'd be like
> Seaside's todo list example, where a user could add to (e.g. new task) and
> change (e.g. change task due date) the model, but in Morphic.

Hello,

I happened to just package the TaalPulse application by Guillaume
Pothier (from: http://taalpulse.net/) so that it loads easily in a
Squeak image (if you get it from the original website, you will not have
complete sources).

It's there: http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/taalbox.zip

To install, unzip in the same folder as your image, file-in TaalBox.st
then evaluate "TaalBox open"

It's a nice music morphic app; and an original front-end for a
non-trivial job.

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Rollandin wrote
I happened to just package the TaalPulse application... a nice music morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.
Cool, thanks!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Casey Ransberger-2
While I can tell that you're looking for an application, I figured I may as well recommend:

If you would like to see Morphic done beautifully, you might check out Cuis. Juan has spent years cleaning up the cruft that accumulated while the VPRI folks were making "one more run at the [Dynabook] fence."

The result is a GUI layer that's much easier to work with, and less confusing. I can get worlds more done in the same amount time when working with the Cuis Morphic implementation.

In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how wonderful an experience it's been to work with.

On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:03 AM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>
>> I happened to just package the TaalPulse application... a nice music
>> morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.
>>
> Cool, thanks!
>
> Sean

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Casey Ransberger-2 wrote
While I can tell that you're looking for an application, I figured I may as well recommend... Cuis.
I'll take a look.

Casey Ransberger-2 wrote
In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how wonderful an experience it's been to work with.
What's preventing this from happening, say... today or tomorrow ;-)

Sean

On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:03 AM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <sean@clipperadams.com> wrote:

> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>
>> I happened to just package the TaalPulse application... a nice music
>> morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.
>>
> Cool, thanks!
>
> Sean

Sean

Reg. SimpleMorphic integration (wasRe: [squeak-dev] Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?)

Casey Ransberger-2
Squeak has a lot of UI surface that would need to be ported, I think. I don't know how much, if any, of that is handled by Juan's SimpleMorphic package.

Juan? Care to chime in?

On Jan 7, 2011, at 11:17 AM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Casey Ransberger-2 wrote:
>>
>> While I can tell that you're looking for an application, I figured I may
>> as well recommend... Cuis.
>>
> I'll take a look.
>

> Casey Ransberger-2 wrote:
>>
>> In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic
>> implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how wonderful
>> an experience it's been to work with.
>>
> What's preventing this from happening, say... today or tomorrow ;-)
>
> Sean
>
> On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:03 AM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>>
>>> I happened to just package the TaalPulse application... a nice music
>>> morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.
>>>
>> Cool, thanks!
>>
>> Sean

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Stéphane Rollandin

>> In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic
>> implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how wonderful
>> an experience it's been to work with.
>>
> What's preventing this from happening, say... today or tomorrow ;-)

For one thing, it would probably break all my code...

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Michael Davies-2
2011/1/7 Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>

I happened to just package the TaalPulse application by Guillaume Pothier (from: http://taalpulse.net/) so that it loads easily in a Squeak image (if you get it from the original website, you will not have complete sources).

It's there: http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/squeak/taalbox.zip

To install, unzip in the same folder as your image, file-in TaalBox.st then evaluate "TaalBox open"

It's a nice music morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.

There's a few hard-coded backslashes in TaalBox>>load TaalBox>>loadTaalCollections: and TaalBox>>reload which are an issue on OS X, but once you fix those, it's fun to play with. Thanks for sharing this.

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Casey Ransberger-2 wrote:
>>
>> While I can tell that you're looking for an application, I figured I may
>> as well recommend... Cuis.
>>
> I'll take a look.
>

> Casey Ransberger-2 wrote:
>>
>> In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic
>> implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how wonderful
>> an experience it's been to work with.
>>
> What's preventing this from happening, say... today or tomorrow ;-)
Someone has to do it. Without breaking existing code (or breaking as
little as possible). There was an idea to do it by creating a new kind of
Project (SimpleMorphicProject). I'm pretty sure that's the right way.
Common tools could be toolbuilderized. It doesn't have to be in the base
image, it can be a loadable external package.

Levente

> Sean
>
> On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:03 AM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>>
>>> I happened to just package the TaalPulse application... a nice music
>>> morphic app; and an original front-end for a non-trivial job.
>>>
>> Cool, thanks!
>>
>> Sean

Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?

Stéphane Rollandin
> Someone has to do it. Without breaking existing code (or breaking as
> little as possible). There was an idea to do it by creating a new kind of
> Project (SimpleMorphicProject). I'm pretty sure that's the right way.
> Common tools could be toolbuilderized. It doesn't have to be in the base
> image, it can be a loadable external package.

Yes, this seems the way to go IMO, wrt backward compatibility

Re: Reg. SimpleMorphic integration (wasRe: [squeak-dev] Re: Is there a Morphic Tutorial showing a complex model?)

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Squeak has a lot of UI surface that would need to be ported, I think. I don't know how much, if any, of that is handled by Juan's SimpleMorphic package.
>
> Juan? Care to chime in?

Yes, Cuis is great :) . I recommend everybody to take a look at
www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , download it, and use it.

As I say in the web page, I'm not caring too much about compatibility,
but about simpler and better code. Porting Squeak code to Cuis is rather
simple. Some things in the UI would need to be tweaked, obviously. What
else can I say? Well... please, go to the Cuis web page, read it, use
it. I'll be happy to answer questions.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>>> In the longer term, I would be ecstatic to see Squeak adopt the Morphic
>>> implementation from Cuis. I simply cannot rave enough about how
>>> wonderful
>>> an experience it's been to work with.
>>>
>> What's preventing this from happening, say... today or tomorrow ;-)
>
> For one thing, it would probably break all my code...
>
> Stef

Sure. If you have lots of legacy code, then switching to a new system is
most likely not a good idea.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich