Is there a book about Amber somewhere?

Oldřich Vetešník
Hello Amber people,

I have trouble finding good study materials (either larger tutorial or a book) about developing with Amber.
I looked on the amber-lang page, on the wiki and tried searching but I can't seem to find anything (other than hello world).
I have the environment up and running but I just don't know what to do.

The thing is I would like to build a JS frontend app for a Ruby backend app (simple RSS reader that would talk JSON).
I don't know Smalltalk (yet) but it looks tempting. :-)

I'd prefer a book, if there is any…

Thank you,
Ollie

Re: Is there a book about Amber somewhere?

Siemen Baader
Hi Ollie,

I found http://pharobyexample.org/ helpful to get the basics. Amber is modelled around Pharo. Other than that, the IRC channel is great help, and the more people get there, the better. Finally, I find that the class browser and the in-code documentation make the system more 'self-teaching' than what I am used to with other systems...

Is this of any help?

See you on IRC :)

-- Siemen

On 19 May 2014, at 01:12, Oldřich Vetešník <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Amber people,

I have trouble finding good study materials (either larger tutorial or a book) about developing with Amber.
I looked on the amber-lang page, on the wiki and tried searching but I can't seem to find anything (other than hello world).
I have the environment up and running but I just don't know what to do.

The thing is I would like to build a JS frontend app for a Ruby backend app (simple RSS reader that would talk JSON).
I don't know Smalltalk (yet) but it looks tempting. :-)

I'd prefer a book, if there is any…

Thank you,
Ollie

Re: Is there a book about Amber somewhere?

Herby Vojčík
There is no book.

And there is bunch of different questions to tackle:

- know Smalltalk
- know HTML / JS / CSS frontend
- know Amber specifics themselves and how it connects the previous two.

There are books on Smalltalk itself (Stephane Ducasse maintained some cache of free downloafable ones some time ago).

The second question, beyond the basic knowledge of building a web page, boils down to knowledge of JS libraries - Amber uses jQuery inside, and is designed to reuse any existing library easily (well, some are harder, like AngularJS, but most of them goes fine) (shamesless self-plug: you can try to use trapped, which is inspired by Angulat, but is written in Amber for Amber).

And then, Smalltalk encourages exploratory programming. Every method has visible source, so you can just find out how things are done, play with them live and see what changes.

Herby

Oldřich Vetešník <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Hello Amber people,

I have trouble finding good study materials (either larger tutorial or a book) about developing with Amber.
I looked on the amber-lang page, on the wiki and tried searching but I can't seem to find anything (other than hello world).
I have the environment up and running but I just don't know what to do.

The thing is I would like to build a JS frontend app for a Ruby backend app (simple RSS reader that would talk JSON).
I don't know Smalltalk (yet) but it looks tempting. :-)

I'd prefer a book, if there is any…

Thank you,
Ollie

Re: Is there a book about Amber somewhere?

philippeback

Le 19 mai 2014 11:52, "Herby Vojčík" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> There is no book.
>
> And there is bunch of different questions to tackle:
>
> - know Smalltalk
> - know HTML / JS / CSS frontend
> - know Amber specifics themselves and how it connects the previous two.
>
> There are books on Smalltalk itself (Stephane Ducasse maintained some cache of free downloafable ones some time ago).
>
> The second question, beyond the basic knowledge of building a web page, boils down to knowledge of JS libraries - Amber uses jQuery inside, and is designed to reuse any existing library easily (well, some are harder, like AngularJS, but most of them goes fine) (shamesless self-plug: you can try to use trapped, which is inspired by Angulat, but is written in Amber for Amber).

Intriguing.  Pointers?

> And then, Smalltalk encourages exploratory programming. Every method has visible source, so you can just find out how things are done, play with them live and see what changes.
>
> Herby
>

> Oldřich Vetešník <[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>

> Hello Amber people,
>
> I have trouble finding good study materials (either larger tutorial or a book) about developing with Amber.
> I looked on the amber-lang page, on the wiki and tried searching but I can't seem to find anything (other than hello world).
> I have the environment up and running but I just don't know what to do.
>
> The thing is I would like to build a JS frontend app for a Ruby backend app (simple RSS reader that would talk JSON).
> I don't know Smalltalk (yet) but it looks tempting. :-)
>
> I'd prefer a book, if there is any…
>
> Thank you,
> Ollie

Re: Is there a book about Amber somewhere?

Oldřich Vetešník
Yes this is fine for now, thanks. :)

Ollie

Dne pondělí, 19. května 2014 11:43:19 UTC+2 Siemen Baader napsal(a):
Hi Ollie,

I found <a href="http://pharobyexample.org/" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fpharobyexample.org%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG_Zg-k2zrHDJ6qZ-CcmzLOKNT5VA';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fpharobyexample.org%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNG_Zg-k2zrHDJ6qZ-CcmzLOKNT5VA';return true;">http://pharobyexample.org/ helpful to get the basics. Amber is modelled around Pharo. Other than that, the IRC channel is great help, and the more people get there, the better. Finally, I find that the class browser and the in-code documentation make the system more 'self-teaching' than what I am used to with other systems...

Is this of any help?

See you on IRC :)

-- Siemen

On 19 May 2014, at 01:12, Oldřich Vetešník <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="Bqr7NAHmxcsJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">whowantstopla...@gmail.com> wrote: