Is there a small and effective File library around?

Is there a small and effective File library around?

Alexandre Bergel
Dear List,

I need to work with files. Unfortunately, FileDirectory and FileStream
are hardly my fiends. I essentially need to recurse over folders and
files. So far, I have been using Rio. But it contains bugs that make
me a hard life by being under the attack of the Mac Death Spinning
wheel!
Is there a small file library that enables block evaluation when
recursing over files?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Lukas Renggli
I am using Filesystem from http://source.wiresong.ca/mc/ from Colin.
As far as I know an official release is imminent.

It is an amazing library, well documented and well tested with almost
400 unit tests (they all pass in Pharo). It supports uniform access to
the filesystem, zip archives and in-memory filesystems (for tests). It
supports different enumeration strategies and platform specific
locations (such as home-directory, desktop, etc).

Filesystem is built on the existing primitives, but does not depend on
FileDirectory and FileStream. I already mentioned this library several
times in the list and suggested to include it with Pharo core and kill
FileDirectory.

Lukas

2009/11/19 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:

> Dear List,
>
> I need to work with files. Unfortunately, FileDirectory and FileStream
> are hardly my fiends. I essentially need to recurse over folders and
> files. So far, I have been using Rio. But it contains bugs that make
> me a hard life by being under the attack of the Mac Death Spinning
> wheel!
> Is there a small file library that enables block evaluation when
> recursing over files?
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Marcus Denker-3

On Nov 19, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I am using Filesystem from http://source.wiresong.ca/mc/ from Colin.
> As far as I know an official release is imminent.
>
> It is an amazing library, well documented and well tested with almost
> 400 unit tests (they all pass in Pharo). It supports uniform access to
> the filesystem, zip archives and in-memory filesystems (for tests). It
> supports different enumeration strategies and platform specific
> locations (such as home-directory, desktop, etc).
>
> Filesystem is built on the existing primitives, but does not depend on
> FileDirectory and FileStream. I already mentioned this library several
> times in the list and suggested to include it with Pharo core and kill
> FileDirectory.

+ 1000

        Marcus

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Adrian Lienhard
+1

Would we include this new Filesystem besides the old FileDirectory
implementation to simplify migration of external code?

Adrian

On Nov 19, 2009, at 14:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> I am using Filesystem from http://source.wiresong.ca/mc/ from Colin.
>> As far as I know an official release is imminent.
>>
>> It is an amazing library, well documented and well tested with almost
>> 400 unit tests (they all pass in Pharo). It supports uniform access
>> the filesystem, zip archives and in-memory filesystems (for tests).
>> It
>> supports different enumeration strategies and platform specific
>> locations (such as home-directory, desktop, etc).
>>
>> Filesystem is built on the existing primitives, but does not depend
>> on
>> FileDirectory and FileStream. I already mentioned this library
>> several
>> times in the list and suggested to include it with Pharo core and
>> kill
>> FileDirectory.
>>

> + 1000
>

> Marcus

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I _think_ we would almost have to include both for migration.  FileDirectory is awful.  +1 on the idea of killing it.

Would we include this new Filesystem besides the old FileDirectory implementation to simplify migration of external code?

Adrian

On Nov 19, 2009, at 14:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> I am using Filesystem from http://source.wiresong.ca/mc/ from Colin.
>> As far as I know an official release is imminent.
>>
>> It is an amazing library, well documented and well tested with almost
>> 400 unit tests (they all pass in Pharo). It supports uniform access
>> to the filesystem, zip archives and in-memory filesystems (for
>> tests).
>> It
>> supports different enumeration strategies and platform specific
>> locations (such as home-directory, desktop, etc).
>>
>> Filesystem is built on the existing primitives, but does not depend
>> on FileDirectory and FileStream. I already mentioned this library
>> several times in the list and suggested to include it with Pharo core
>> and kill FileDirectory.
>>

> + 1000
>

> Marcus

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Yes!

Stef

On Nov 19, 2009, at 3:31 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> +1
>
> Would we include this new Filesystem besides the old FileDirectory
> implementation to simplify migration of external code?
>
> Adrian
>
> On Nov 19, 2009, at 14:41 , Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On Nov 19, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Filesystem from http://source.wiresong.ca/mc/ from Colin.
>>> As far as I know an official release is imminent.
>>>
>>> It is an amazing library, well documented and well tested with almost
>>> 400 unit tests (they all pass in Pharo). It supports uniform access
>>> the filesystem, zip archives and in-memory filesystems (for tests).
>>> It
>>> supports different enumeration strategies and platform specific
>>> locations (such as home-directory, desktop, etc).
>>>
>>> Filesystem is built on the existing primitives, but does not depend
>>> on
>>> FileDirectory and FileStream. I already mentioned this library
>>> several
>>> times in the list and suggested to include it with Pharo core and
>>> kill
>>> FileDirectory.
>>>

>> + 1000
>>

>> Marcus

Re: Is there a small and effective File library around?

Alexandre Bergel
All the 390 tests are green in my image. Cool!
I will have a look at it.

Thanks,
Alexandre