Is there a way to limit taskbar

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

in one of our server we got that!
        - two reactions
                - we should limit the number of taskbar elements
        - would be good to have also a real logger (if this is not the case here) instead of transcript to report structured log
        I will have a look at SimpleLog of goran

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>
> Date: September 4, 2010 8:00:33 PM GMT+02:00
> To: notre liste <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Lsehub-staff] apparently http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/ does not answer... anymore.
>
> VNC works, but here's what it looks like. I don't have access to the world menu, I could open a workspace but it appears somewhere else than visible.
>
> Pharo needs a proper message logger I guess :)
>

> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 19.55.52.png (192K) Download Attachment

Re: Is there a way to limit taskbar

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

That's impressive :)  I have long believed our goal should be to produce something like Chris Uppal's Ghoul:

   http://metagnostic.dolphinmap.net/Ghoul.html

Just in case the link does not work, I have attached the screenshot of Ghoul itself in action.  Some background: Dolphin creates two different types of error logs.  First is a simple log of callstacks with no information about parameters.  The result can be reasonably compact and is often sufficient to sort out problems.  However, there were situations in which crashes could take out the vm w/o leaving a trace of what happened, so a second, more detailed log called a crash dump was born.  Dolphin's crash dumps are relatively detailed snapshots of the callstack with arguments.  Parameters limit the size by leaving out "the middle."  Crash dumps can be triggered programmatically at any time (with no harm to the running image), and as the name suggests, if Dolphin actually crashes.  In the Dolphin spirit of providing information about what it is doing, new entries are appended to an existing log.

Ghoul opens a crash dump log, parses the multiple dumps that it contains, and shows a debugger like view on the result.  It is WONDERFUL.  Note the drop-down list at the top of the screenshot; it can be lengthy, and selects individual callstacks from the log.  With a given dump selected, Ghoul shows the callstack in the left pane and debugger-like inspector and code panes on the right.  The code is from the image that loads the dump, which can be misleading if there have been major changes since the log was recorded, but it is a very useful tool.  Another gem is F.M.B. (filtered method browser) on the same web site.

Another great place to look for inspiration on tools is Ian Bartholomew's site:

     http://www.idb.me.uk/goodies.html

His ChunkBrowser is legendary, providing something very similar to Pharo's GUI for recovering lost changes, only with a much better design.  Chunks can be filtered, sorted and selected in very powerful and understandable ways.  There is no going back once you have used it.

Bill

                - we should limit the number of taskbar elements
        - would be good to have also a real logger (if this is not the case here) instead of transcript to report structured log
        I will have a look at SimpleLog of goran

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Damien Pollet <[hidden email]>
> Date: September 4, 2010 8:00:33 PM GMT+02:00
> To: notre liste <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Lsehub-staff] apparently http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/ does not answer... anymore.
>
> VNC works, but here's what it looks like. I don't have access to the world menu, I could open a workspace but it appears somewhere else than visible.
>
> Pharo needs a proper message logger I guess :)

Ghoul.gif (30K) Download Attachment