Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Louis LaBrunda

Hi Gang,

Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned yet?  I am in a mode where I am debugging new code.  I have to make a small change and test on the customers server because it has access to another host that I don't.  This is a repetitive process as I learn more about how the host responds (there is little or no documentation).

When I try to build the XD image, I am informed that one or more of the apps are not versioned.  The packaging continues but with the latest version of the apps.  If I could get a package with the un-versioned apps, I could make all these little changes and little tests without having to version every time.

Lou

Re: Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:06:25 AM UTC-7, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned yet?  ...

When I try to build the XD image, I am informed that one or more of the apps are not versioned.

I don't know anything about XD packaging, Lou. But that doesn't really matter. As long as your changes (classes and apps/sub-apps) are released, you should be allowed to do this. You may need to hack a bit or perhaps subclass the default XD packager.

Start by locating the method which contains the string complaining of the unversioned apps. Look at the code that triggers it. It is possible you may discover there is a control already built-in. If not, you can hack the existing code to remove the requirement. As mentioned, you might be able to subclass the packager with your change.

Re: Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Douglas Swartz
Hello Lou,

It's been a while since I worked with XD packaging, but I used to do
this occasionally when need to work on a Unix specific subApp, but was
packaging from Windows. If you make your change directly in the
XD/passive image, rather than making it in the regular/active image
and loading it into the XD image, the code should package. You will
get the unversioned message, but that can be ignored.

The trick is to make sure you're actually making the code change on the
XD side. Sometimes the editors would get confused, even if you start
by browsing your class on the XD side. Sometimes I used to magically
(and annoyingly) end up with the editor pointed at the code in the
active rather than the passive image. I once wrote up a defect for
Instantiations on this, but I'm not sure I ever submitted it.

Remember that you can't test the code in your development environment
if it's only present in the passive/XD image. But, you can edit it.

Doug Swartz

--
Best regards,
 Douglas                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Thomas Koschate-2
Sorry, Lou, I don't stop by often anymore since I don't do Smalltalk, but I think you could probably benefit from the discussion and code in my old blog entries.  Start with http://omasko.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/improving-the-development-process-part-1-setting-the-scene/ and go on from there.

Tom

Re: Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

jtuchel
Hi Lou,

this is sure not a helpful answer, but I will tell you why I absolutely avoid doing this, at least for packaged images that are intended for production machines:

If I build a new Linux web server image for deployment, I want it to be 100% reconstructible, so I not only version classes, but also their containing applications and maps.

But I think it should be possible to do that if you load unreleased class editions or versions directly into the passive image. Have you tried?

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2014 20:06:25 UTC+2 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

Hi Gang,

Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned yet?  I am in a mode where I am debugging new code.  I have to make a small change and test on the customers server because it has access to another host that I don't.  This is a repetitive process as I learn more about how the host responds (there is little or no documentation).

When I try to build the XD image, I am informed that one or more of the apps are not versioned.  The packaging continues but with the latest version of the apps.  If I could get a package with the un-versioned apps, I could make all these little changes and little tests without having to version every time.

Lou

Re: Is there a way to package an XD image with an app that isn't versioned?

Ralf Helm

Hello,

to generate an test icx, xd or not, I have a test config map, I release my apps, versioned or not, in this config map, start my image that I have only for packaging, load the config map, start packaging with my package instructions, thats all.

Regards

[...]

Hi Ralf,

Thanks, I am past the point where this would really help but I will give it a try,

Lou