Is there an Undo/Versioning solution based on Magritte?

Is there an Undo/Versioning solution based on Magritte?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi all,

I'm trying to implement a way to have versions of the contents entered
through a form so I can revert the object models to an early state,
very much like the page history edits in Wikipedia, but with more
fields than just the text content.

This solution should provide a feature to store the contents not only
of the descriptions in the container, but also descriptions contained
in referenced descriptions (via MAReferenceDescription).

I'm about to write my own, but if there is something out there, I
would like to see if it fits our needs, or could be easily modified.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Is there an Undo/Versioning solution based on Magritte?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
> but with more fields than just the text content.

And obviously there's the rub. Not only do we have to serialize non-literal
data, but how to reconstruct the object graph later (i.e. yes we restored
/an/Object, but how to make it be /this/Object?!).

Esteban A. Maringolo wrote
> if there is something out there, I would like to see if it fits our needs,
> or could be easily modified.

I wrote a WIP extension which merges two objects by comparing their Magritte
descriptions and building a tree of commands to make the changes. See
https://github.com/seandenigris/Magritte3/tree/master/repository/Magritte-Merging.package.
I guess if one serialized the commands that might work. NB the code is in an
early stage so there are likely to be API changes.

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--