Is there an "official" Glorp project/package?

Is there an "official" Glorp project/package?

T. Edwin King
Forgive me if this is the incorrect forum for Glorp, but I'm interested in Pharo and not Squeak.

It seems that there are multiple projects around for Glorp (on Squeaksource), and there appears to be differences in what is available (particularly Ramon Leon's MagritteGlorp/GlorpSeaside and ActiveRecord).

So is there an "official" Glorp project (I use the term loosely)?

I have succeeded in getting ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX 1.3 up and running in a Pharo 1.1.1 image with CogVM, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, on MacOS X in 64-bit kernel mode no less.  And the GlorpTests mostly run except for 8 or 9.  But I don't see the same packages/classes as those that are available in the Glorp project.

Regards,
TEK

Re: Is there an "official" Glorp project/package?

Stéphane Ducasse
> Forgive me if this is the incorrect forum for Glorp,
this is not!
This is the right place to ask such question.

> but I'm interested in
> Pharo and not Squeak.
>
> It seems that there are multiple projects around for Glorp (on
> Squeaksource), and there appears to be differences in what is available
> (particularly Ramon Leon's MagritteGlorp/GlorpSeaside and ActiveRecord).
>
> So is there an "official" Glorp project (I use the term loosely)?

I will let other comment.

> I have succeeded in getting ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX 1.3 up and running in a
> Pharo 1.1.1 image with CogVM, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, on MacOS X in
> 64-bit kernel mode no less.  And the GlorpTests mostly run except for 8 or
> 9.

good to know.

>  But I don't see the same packages/classes as those that are available in
> the Glorp project.
>
> Regards,
> TEK

Re: Is there an "official" Glorp project/package?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM, T. Edwin King <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forgive me if this is the incorrect forum for Glorp, but I'm interested in
Pharo and not Squeak.

Hi Edwin. This is a good place. In addition, for GLorpDBX/SqueakDBX  specific questions you can also use our own mainling  list.But this is fine here too.

It seems that there are multiple projects around for Glorp (on
Squeaksource), and there appears to be differences in what is available
(particularly Ramon Leon's MagritteGlorp/GlorpSeaside and ActiveRecord).

Yes, but as far as I understood those where just some development from Ramon.

So is there an "official" Glorp project (I use the term loosely)?

The problem is what you mean by official. I take care about making GlorpDBX/SqueakDBX to work (and develop) on Pharo, and I am a pharo developer also. Is that "official" enought?
From the original Glorp developers, there is no Pharo support. WE have to take care.

I suggest you to read: http://www.squeakdbx.org/GLORP integration

I have succeeded in getting ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX 1.3 up and running in a
Pharo 1.1.1 image with CogVM, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, on MacOS X in
64-bit kernel mode no less.

WOW!  you make it work with SqueakDBX, with Cog, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, and using 64bits, without asking a single question???  wow, you are good :)

And the GlorpTests mostly run except for 8 or
9.  But I don't see the same packages/classes as those that are available in
the Glorp project.

No. GlorpDBX is a fork of Glorp. Here are the explanations of why: http://www.squeakdbx.org/GLORP integration

Best regards,

Mariano

Regards,
TEK

Re: Is there an "official" Glorp project/package?

T. Edwin King
Thanks Mariano and Steph for replies.

>> So is there an "official" Glorp project (I use the term loosely)?
>>

> The problem is what you mean by official. I take care about making
> GlorpDBX/SqueakDBX to work (and develop) on Pharo, and I am a pharo
> developer also. Is that "official" enought?
> From the original Glorp developers, there is no Pharo support. WE have to
> take care.

> I suggest you to read: http://www.squeakdbx.org/GLORP integration

That's good enough for me.  I'm most familiar with VisualWorks (I used to work professionally with it and it's ancestry "back in the day"), but I have become more interested in Pharo recently due to my frustration with the fact that VW 7.7.x will not run on OS X 64-bit kernel mode.  So I'm just trying to find some familiar ground with Glorp and Seaside to help me get used to Pharo.

>> I have succeeded in getting ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX 1.3 up and running in a
>> Pharo 1.1.1 image with CogVM, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, on MacOS X in
>> 64-bit kernel mode no less.

> WOW!  you make it work with SqueakDBX, with Cog, against PostgreSQL and
> Sqlite3, and using 64bits, without asking a single question???  wow, you are
> good :)

That's kind of you to say, but I found most of the info I needed to get OpenDBX working on OS X 64-bit from the SqueakDBX website ;)
Plus, while I'm a relative newcomer to Mac OS, I have been a pro software developer for 16+ years and have worked with a lot of OS's and languages in that time.

Regards,
T. Edwin King

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM, T. Edwin King <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Mariano and Steph for replies.

>> So is there an "official" Glorp project (I use the term loosely)?
>>

> The problem is what you mean by official. I take care about making
> GlorpDBX/SqueakDBX to work (and develop) on Pharo, and I am a pharo
> developer also. Is that "official" enought?
> From the original Glorp developers, there is no Pharo support. WE have to
> take care.

> I suggest you to read: http://www.squeakdbx.org/GLORP integration

That's good enough for me.  I'm most familiar with VisualWorks (I used to
work professionally with it and it's ancestry "back in the day"), but I have
become more interested in Pharo recently due to my frustration with the fact
that VW 7.7.x will not run on OS X 64-bit kernel mode.  So I'm just trying
to find some familiar ground with Glorp and Seaside to help me get used to
Pharo.

Excellent and welcome :)
For Glorp, we also have connection pool that can be easily used in Seaside if you want.

But be aware of something: FFI DOES NOT work with 64 bits!  So...if you have a 64bits OS, you have to install the 32bits libraries of the database, of OpenDBX, and the squeakVM.
I guess you know this because you make it work.

>> I have succeeded in getting ConfigurationOfGlorpDBX 1.3 up and running in
>> Pharo 1.1.1 image with CogVM, against PostgreSQL and Sqlite3, on MacOS X
>> in
>> 64-bit kernel mode no less.

> WOW!  you make it work with SqueakDBX, with Cog, against PostgreSQL and
> Sqlite3, and using 64bits, without asking a single question???  wow, you
> are
> good :)

That's kind of you to say, but I found most of the info I needed to get
OpenDBX working on OS X 64-bit from the SqueakDBX website ;)

THanks. I try to keep it up to date and with more information as possible. The website is done with Pier, so in case you want to help us to improve, just let me know and I give you a user :)

Plus, while I'm a relative newcomer to Mac OS, I have been a pro software
developer for 16+ years and have worked with a lot of OS's and languages in
that time.

Excellent :)

Regards,
T. Edwin King