classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IslandVMTweaksTestCase and Memory corruption

Clément Béra
Hello,

I was looking for VM tests in the Pharo image and I found the class IslandVMTweaksTestCase. The strange thing is its comments :
"Test case for some tweaks to the VM that Islands requires. These tests are largely for documentation; with an un-tweaked VM, the tests mostly still succeed, albeit with possible memory corruption."

Does that really mean if I run those tests it might result into memory corruption ? 

I don't think it is a good idea to ship Pharo with this memory corruption tests in IslandVMTweaksTestCase. I suggest that if the tests may really corrupt memory we remove them from Pharo, or if they cannot corrupt memory then we fix the memory corruption comment.

Regards,

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: IslandVMTweaksTestCase and Memory corruption

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 28, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I was looking for VM tests in the Pharo image and I found the class IslandVMTweaksTestCase. The strange thing is its comments :
"Test case for some tweaks to the VM that Islands requires. These tests are largely for documentation; with an un-tweaked VM, the tests mostly still succeed, albeit with possible memory corruption."

Does that really mean if I run those tests it might result into memory corruption ? 

I don't think it is a good idea to ship Pharo with this memory corruption tests in IslandVMTweaksTestCase. I suggest that if the tests may really corrupt memory we remove them from Pharo, or if they cannot corrupt memory then we fix the memory corruption comment.

Yes, we should not ship code like that.

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Ciprian Teodorov-3

No, I think that those tests should be shipped... And fix the VM to not corrupt the memory. That's only in the case these test are wrote in pure smalltalk. If they use ffi then yeah they should be removed

On Feb 28, 2013 3:11 PM, "Marcus Denker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 28, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Ciprian Teodorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

No, I think that those tests should be shipped... And fix the VM to not corrupt the memory. That's only in the case these test are wrote in pure smalltalk. If they use ffi then yeah they should be removed

They have primitives in methods for which the primitive was not written. 

On Feb 28, 2013 3:11 PM, "Marcus Denker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Fernando olivero-2
In reply to this post by Ciprian Teodorov-3
Island are part of the TeaTime implementation in Croquet. If the tests
are referring to that "Island" then why should Pharo include such
tests?

Fernando

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Feb 28, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Ciprian Teodorov <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
> No, I think that those tests should be shipped... And fix the VM to not corrupt the memory. That's only in the case these test are wrote in pure smalltalk. If they use ffi then yeah they should be removed
>
> They have primitives in methods for which the primitive was not written.
>
> On Feb 28, 2013 3:11 PM, "Marcus Denker" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> On Feb 28, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was looking for VM tests in the Pharo image and I found the class IslandVMTweaksTestCase. The strange thing is its comments :
> "Test case for some tweaks to the VM that Islands requires. These tests are largely for documentation; with an un-tweaked VM, the tests mostly still succeed, albeit with possible memory corruption."
>
> Does that really mean if I run those tests it might result into memory corruption ?
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to ship Pharo with this memory corruption tests in IslandVMTweaksTestCase. I suggest that if the tests may really corrupt memory we remove them from Pharo, or if they cannot corrupt memory then we fix the memory corruption comment.
>
> Yes, we should not ship code like that.
>
> Marcus
>
>