Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Issues with recent Pharos reading files

AndrewBlack
I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.  

Today, I downloaded Pharo (32-bit), loaded my code into the image using git and Iceberg, and half of my tests failed because Pharo claimed that the files that are on my disk are in a directory that does not exist.   If I go back to an older image, everything works fine.

I’m seeing a similar thing on Travis-CI: the build under Pharo 6 works fine, and all the tests are green, but the build under Pharo 7 fails:

> Loaded -> SmalltalkCI-Coverage-Core-fn.5 --- filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository [:] --- cache
> SmalltalkCIPharo class>>deprecationWarning (TestCoverage is Undeclared)
> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class>>stdout (ZnCrPortableWriteStream is Undeclared)
> Loaded -> SmalltalkCI-Pharo-Core-fn.62 --- filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository [:] --- cache
> ...finished baselineMessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "on:" is nil
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #on:
> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class>>stdout
> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class(SmalltalkCI class)>>travisFold:id:block:
> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class(SmalltalkCI class)>>stage:id:block:
> SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCI)>>reportImageInfo
> SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCI)>>basicLoad
> [ super basicLoad ] in [ [ super basicLoad ]
> on: (Smalltalk at: #MCMergeOrLoadWarning)
> do: [ :ex | ex resume: true ] ] in SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCIPharo)>>basicLoad in Block: [ super basicLoad ]

(The logs are here: https://travis-ci.org/apblack/GraceInPharo.  Look at build #83.  I’m not sure if they are public — I think that they are!)

What’s weird is that my co-worker, who I was introducing to Pharo, was able to download a Pharo distribution and install and run the same git commit with no problems.

So I decided that maybe my launcher was out of date.   I just downloaded and installed a new version of the launcher.  When I use it to create a new image, it is unable to launch it, because it can’t find the VM.  (The VM package was there, but with a “no entry” sign across it.)

I eventually patch up the launcher by hand, and load my code into a new image.  Half of my tests fail once again.  There are two issues.

First, file streams are now ZnCharacterReadStreams instead of MultiByteFileStreams.  Ok, that’s a change that I had been expecting.  But  ZnCharacterReadStreams don’t understand readStream, whereas MultiByteFileStreams did (and returned self).  I can code around that.

The second issue is one that I can’t code around.  I’m getting a "directory does not exist” error from DiskStore>>#basicEntry:path:nodesDo:, even though the sending method, FileSystemStore>>#directoryAt:ifAbsent:nodesDo: has just correctly verified that the directory does exist.  Looking at the offending method, I think that the problem is that

Primitives lookupEntryIn: encodedPathString index: index.

always returns #badDirectoryPath.    Since this method contains a call to a primitive, followed by ^ #badDirectoryPath if the primitive fails, I’m guessing that either I don’t have the primitive installed, or I have an old version of the primitive.

How do I fix this?   More interesting in some ways: if I download a new copy of the launcher, and then use the launcher to install a new copy of the development image, shouldn’t all of the necessary files be installed along with it.

From the fact that this isn’t working on Travis either, I’m guessing that there might be a problem with the distribution.

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Issues with recent Pharos reading files

CyrilFerlicot
On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.
>
> Today, I downloaded Pharo (32-bit), loaded my code into the image using git and Iceberg, and half of my tests failed because Pharo claimed that the files that are on my disk are in a directory that does not exist.   If I go back to an older image, everything works fine.
>
> I’m seeing a similar thing on Travis-CI: the build under Pharo 6 works fine, and all the tests are green, but the build under Pharo 7 fails:
>
>> Loaded -> SmalltalkCI-Coverage-Core-fn.5 --- filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository [:] --- cache
>> SmalltalkCIPharo class>>deprecationWarning (TestCoverage is Undeclared)
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class>>stdout (ZnCrPortableWriteStream is Undeclared)
>> Loaded -> SmalltalkCI-Pharo-Core-fn.62 --- filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository [:] --- cache
>> ...finished baselineMessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "on:" is nil
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #on:
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class>>stdout
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class(SmalltalkCI class)>>travisFold:id:block:
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7 class(SmalltalkCI class)>>stage:id:block:
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCI)>>reportImageInfo
>> SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCI)>>basicLoad
>> [ super basicLoad ] in [ [ super basicLoad ]
>>       on: (Smalltalk at: #MCMergeOrLoadWarning)
>>       do: [ :ex | ex resume: true ] ] in SmalltalkCIPharo7(SmalltalkCIPharo)>>basicLoad in Block: [ super basicLoad ]
>
> (The logs are here: https://travis-ci.org/apblack/GraceInPharo.  Look at build #83.  I’m not sure if they are public — I think that they are!)
>
> What’s weird is that my co-worker, who I was introducing to Pharo, was able to download a Pharo distribution and install and run the same git commit with no problems.
>
> So I decided that maybe my launcher was out of date.   I just downloaded and installed a new version of the launcher.  When I use it to create a new image, it is unable to launch it, because it can’t find the VM.  (The VM package was there, but with a “no entry” sign across it.)
>
> I eventually patch up the launcher by hand, and load my code into a new image.  Half of my tests fail once again.  There are two issues.
>
> First, file streams are now ZnCharacterReadStreams instead of MultiByteFileStreams.  Ok, that’s a change that I had been expecting.  But  ZnCharacterReadStreams don’t understand readStream, whereas MultiByteFileStreams did (and returned self).  I can code around that.
>
> The second issue is one that I can’t code around.  I’m getting a "directory does not exist” error from DiskStore>>#basicEntry:path:nodesDo:, even though the sending method, FileSystemStore>>#directoryAt:ifAbsent:nodesDo: has just correctly verified that the directory does exist.  Looking at the offending method, I think that the problem is that
>
>         Primitives lookupEntryIn: encodedPathString index: index.
>
> always returns #badDirectoryPath.    Since this method contains a call to a primitive, followed by ^ #badDirectoryPath if the primitive fails, I’m guessing that either I don’t have the primitive installed, or I have an old version of the primitive.
>
> How do I fix this?   More interesting in some ways: if I download a new copy of the launcher, and then use the launcher to install a new copy of the development image, shouldn’t all of the necessary files be installed along with it.
>
> From the fact that this isn’t working on Travis either, I’m guessing that there might be a problem with the distribution.
>
>         Andrew
>
>
>

Hi,

Fast answer, I did not had the time to check for a long time.

I see it the logs:

SmalltalkCIPharo7 class>>stdout (ZnCrPortableWriteStream is Undeclared)

I think ZnCrPortableWriteStream was renamed into
ZnNewLineWriterStream. Maybe it is SmalltalkCI who need to adapt?

Probably this method:
https://github.com/hpi-swa/smalltalkCI/blob/master/repository/SmalltalkCI-Pharo-Core.package/SmalltalkCIPharo7.class/class/stdout.st

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by AndrewBlack

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 14:36, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.  

OK, this is no answer to your issue, but Pharo 7 latest is far from stable, it is intentionally the development head.

It is very good that you test it and help out, more eyes and all that, but using it is at your own risk, there are no promises about stability.

Reply | Threaded
|

cedreek
Just a side note. I had problems with Monticello ftp repo. Ok on pharo 6, not on 7 last week.
I’ll try to reproduce. It was in relation to the zip file.

Cheers,

Cedrick

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 20 mars 2018 à 15:15, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>
>
>> On 20 Mar 2018, at 14:36, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.  
>
> OK, this is no answer to your issue, but Pharo 7 latest is far from stable, it is intentionally the development head.
>
> It is very good that you test it and help out, more eyes and all that, but using it is at your own risk, there are no promises about stability.
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

AndrewBlack
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 03:15 , Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 20 Mar 2018, at 14:36, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.  
>
> OK, this is no answer to your issue, but Pharo 7 latest is far from stable, it is intentionally the development head.
>
> It is very good that you test it and help out, more eyes and all that, but using it is at your own risk, there are no promises about stability.

I understand this.  The point of my post was to try and diagnose the issue and help make Pharo 7 more stable.

Does my diagnosis of a missing or outdated primitive look reasonable?  If so, how do I check?  That is, where are is this primitive

<primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error: errorCode >

supposed to come from?    I’m guessing that there should be a file with ‘FilePlugin’ somewhere in its name somewhere in one of my VMs.  There isn’t — although some older Cog vms from back in the day (I’m talking Pharo 1.4) have something called
‘libAsynchFilePlugin.dylib’

If this plugin is now essential to run Pharo, shouldn’t downloading the launcher and using the launcher to grab a fresh image and launch it (after checking for the appropriate VM) be all that is required to ensure that it is installed?   If not, what other steps should I take?

I’m getting on a l-o-n-g flight in a few hours, and would really like to be able to run Pharo ...

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

alistairgrant
Hi Andrew,

On 20 March 2018 at 21:42, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> On 21 Mar 2018, at 03:15 , Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 20 Mar 2018, at 14:36, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.
>>
>> OK, this is no answer to your issue, but Pharo 7 latest is far from stable, it is intentionally the development head.
>>
>> It is very good that you test it and help out, more eyes and all that, but using it is at your own risk, there are no promises about stability.
>
> I understand this.  The point of my post was to try and diagnose the issue and help make Pharo 7 more stable.
>
> Does my diagnosis of a missing or outdated primitive look reasonable?

Not really :-)

>  If so, how do I check?

If you can successfully open World Menu -> Tools -> File Browser then
the primitive is working.

>  That is, where are is this primitive
>
>         <primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error: errorCode >
>
> supposed to come from?    I’m guessing that there should be a file with ‘FilePlugin’ somewhere in its name somewhere in one of my VMs.  There isn’t — although some older Cog vms from back in the day (I’m talking Pharo 1.4) have something called
> ‘libAsynchFilePlugin.dylib’

Plugins can either be built-in or external.  FilePlugin is built-in.

> If this plugin is now essential to run Pharo, shouldn’t downloading the launcher and using the launcher to grab a fresh image and launch it (after checking for the appropriate VM) be all that is required to ensure that it is installed?   If not, what other steps should I take?

The error handling in #lookupEntryIn:index: is less than ideal.  I'm
working on a replacement, so I don't think it is worthwhile spending a
lot of time on it.

This primitive returns a directory entry by index number.  Just taking
a couple of wild guesses:  One possibility is that the directory was
modified while you were iterating over the directory.  I'm also not
sure how it handles entries that you don't have permission to read.

But to help track down your issue, maybe temporarily replace the code with:

<primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error:
errorCode >
    errorCode ifNotNil: [self halt: errorCode asString].
    ^ #badDirectoryPath

That should allow you to track down the issue a bit more.

P.S. If the primitive really is missing, errorCode will be #'not found'.

> I’m getting on a l-o-n-g flight in a few hours, and would really like to be able to run Pharo ...
>
>         Andrew

HTH,
Alistair

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
I'll fix smalltalk CI code for Pharo 7 to use the new class. That will solve the problems in travis builds.

@Andrew, about the directories issue, can you provide me a full stack trace and even better a way to reproduce it?

@Cédrik, kind of the same, if you provide a proper issue (or even a test case?) that would be a real time saver.

Issues that are arising now are because there are parts of the system that were badly tested or not tested at all, so ...

Tx all,
Guille

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.
>>
>> OK, this is no answer to your issue, but Pharo 7 latest is far from stable, it is intentionally the development head.
>>
>> It is very good that you test it and help out, more eyes and all that, but using it is at your own risk, there are no promises about stability.
>
> I understand this.  The point of my post was to try and diagnose the issue and help make Pharo 7 more stable.
>

>  If so, how do I check?

>  That is, where are is this primitive
>
>         <primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error: errorCode >
>
> supposed to come from?    I’m guessing that there should be a file with ‘FilePlugin’ somewhere in its name somewhere in one of my VMs.  There isn’t — although some older Cog vms from back in the day (I’m talking Pharo 1.4) have something called

Plugins can either be built-in or external.  FilePlugin is built-in.

> If this plugin is now essential to run Pharo, shouldn’t downloading the launcher and using the launcher to grab a fresh image and launch it (after checking for the appropriate VM) be all that is required to ensure that it is installed?   If not, what other steps should I take?

The error handling in #lookupEntryIn:index: is less than ideal.  I'm
lot of time on it.

This primitive returns a directory entry by index number.  Just taking
a couple of wild guesses:  One possibility is that the directory was
modified while you were iterating over the directory.  I'm also not

errorCode >
    ^ #badDirectoryPath

> I’m getting on a l-o-n-g flight in a few hours, and would really like to be able to run Pharo ...
>
>         Andrew

HTH,
Alistair

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll fix smalltalk CI code for Pharo 7 to use the new class. That will solve the problems in travis builds.

Aaand, fix in here, awaiting for integration:

@Andrew, about the directories issue, can you provide me a full stack trace and even better a way to reproduce it?

@Cédrik, kind of the same, if you provide a proper issue (or even a test case?) that would be a real time saver.

Issues that are arising now are because there are parts of the system that were badly tested or not tested at all, so ...

Tx all,
Guille

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

>
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> I’m having trouble  reading files with the most recent “stable” versions of Pharo.
>>
>>
>
> I understand this.  The point of my post was to try and diagnose the issue and help make Pharo 7 more stable.
>

>  If so, how do I check?

>  That is, where are is this primitive
>
>         <primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error: errorCode >
>
> supposed to come from?    I’m guessing that there should be a file with ‘FilePlugin’ somewhere in its name somewhere in one of my VMs.  There isn’t — although some older Cog vms from back in the day (I’m talking Pharo 1.4) have something called

Plugins can either be built-in or external.  FilePlugin is built-in.

> If this plugin is now essential to run Pharo, shouldn’t downloading the launcher and using the launcher to grab a fresh image and launch it (after checking for the appropriate VM) be all that is required to ensure that it is installed?   If not, what other steps should I take?

The error handling in #lookupEntryIn:index: is less than ideal.  I'm
lot of time on it.

This primitive returns a directory entry by index number.  Just taking
a couple of wild guesses:  One possibility is that the directory was
modified while you were iterating over the directory.  I'm also not

errorCode >
    ^ #badDirectoryPath

>
>         Andrew

HTH,
Alistair

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Reply | Threaded
|

AndrewBlack
In reply to this post by alistairgrant

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 10:07 , Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> But to help track down your issue, maybe temporarily replace the code with:
>
>    <primitive: 'primitiveDirectoryLookup' module: 'FilePlugin' error:
> errorCode >
>    errorCode ifNotNil: [self halt: errorCode asString].
>    ^ #badDirectoryPath
>
>
> That should allow you to track down the issue a bit more.
>
> P.S. If the primitive really is missing, errorCode will be #'not found'.

I still got #badDirectoryPath, so I assumed that the primitive was there, and was just returning the wrong answer.  The question then became: why?

After some hours spent investigating, I figured out what is going on.  Here is the story.

The new file streams have behaviour that differs in several respects from the old ones.
Here are three things that affected my application:

1.  sending #readstream to an old file stream answered self; with the new ones, I get a MNU.

2.  closing a stream that that already been closed used to be a no-op; now it causes a primitive failure walkback.

3.  Repositioning a filestream stream doesn’t work. Unfortunately, sending #position: doesn’t fail immediately, but the effect in my app (a compiler) is that the file I’m reading appears to be empty.

Now for the interesting bit.  Because the file appeared empty, my tests opened the default prelude file.  This also appeared to be empty, so it opened the default prelude file again, while it was still open the first time.  This continued indefinitely — presumably, until some resource in the plugin was exhausted.   Once that happened, the plugin was permanently broken.  Probably the unwind machinery should have released the resource, but it didn’t, probably because the resource is in the plugin, not in Pharo.

You can argue that (1) is the desired behaviour, but it is atypical.  Sending #asString to a String, #asNumber to a Number, or #asSet to a Set all return self.  I think that sending #readStream to a ReadStream should likewise answer self.  It used to.

You can argue that (2) ought to fail, and I’ll probably agree with you.  However, the failure should be a clean one (‘attempt to close a stream that has already been closed’), not a primitive failure.  And then /all/ streams should behave that way, and there should be a #closeIfNecessary operation that does what #close used to do.   Incidentally, the predicate that tests whether a stream is closed is named #closed; it should be named #isClosed.

(3), as already been discussed here, is just wrong.  If a stream has a #position: method, it should work.  If we need another wrapper to implement it, so be it.  If #position: can’t be implemented for a particular kind of stream (e.g., an interactive input stream), then the method either should not be present at all, or should unconditionally raise an exception.

I have not investigated exactly how #position: fails, but I’m pretty sure that this is the culprit.  If I replace the `fileStream` by `fileStream contents readStream`, everything works fine again.

As for the primitive failing permanently because it runs out of resources — I’ll leave that to smarter people than me to figure out.  At very least, it should produce an intelligible ResourceExhausted exception.

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

AndrewBlack
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 23:01 , Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Andrew, about the directories issue, can you provide me a full stack trace and even better a way to reproduce it?

I sent a lengthy message in this thread explaining the circumstances.  Is that enough?  If not I can try opening a file many times and see if I can reproduce the breaking of the primitive. I’m pretty sure that’s what was happening (many hours of debugging on an aeroplane), but did not try to recreate the problem — I was just glad to be able to fix it and move on with my work.

And my battery was dead.  9 hours on a B 737-200 with no power :-(.  Pharo eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi andrew

do you have a reproducible case? or a stackk trace?

Stef

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:50 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>> On 20 Mar 2018, at 23:01 , Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> @Andrew, about the directories issue, can you provide me a full stack trace and even better a way to reproduce it?
>
> I sent a lengthy message in this thread explaining the circumstances.  Is that enough?  If not I can try opening a file many times and see if I can reproduce the breaking of the primitive. I’m pretty sure that’s what was happening (many hours of debugging on an aeroplane), but did not try to recreate the problem — I was just glad to be able to fix it and move on with my work.
>
> And my battery was dead.  9 hours on a B 737-200 with no power :-(.  Pharo eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
>
>         Andrew
>
>