It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

        It's only me who feels the need of an IRC for seaside of its own?

        I think email is a vehicle of comunication that some times is just too
formal. I feel we need the casual talk among seasiders,

        what do you say?

Sebastian Sastre

RE: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I don't know if there's enough people to sustain a critical mass on
seaside alone, but a bunch already hang out in #smalltalk and #seaside
over here,

irc://irc.parcplace.net/smalltalk
irc://irc.parcplace.net/seaside
http://parcplace.net/irc

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Then we need to create "a culture of comunication".
Squeaker seasiders should also feel themselves welcomed and confortable on
joining there right?

Sebastian Sastre

Sure, these are general Smalltalk channels, they just so happen to be on
Cincom's IRC server, but there are other servers linked in.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Right now people not subscribed to email list of proacively and accurately
searching for it wont have the chance to know about the channel. Is a good idea
to refer its existence in http://www.seaside.st/community?

        cheers,

Sebastian

Philippe Marschall
2008/4/28, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> Right now people not subscribed to email list of proacively and accurately
>  searching for it wont have the chance to know about the channel. Is a good idea
>  to refer its existence in http://www.seaside.st/community?

I think in #squeak one has probably the highest chance of getting help
the whole day.

Cheers
Philippe

>         cheers,
>
>  Sebastian

keith1y
Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2008/4/28, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Right now people not subscribed to email list of proacively and accurately
>>  searching for it wont have the chance to know about the channel. Is a good idea
>>  to refer its existence in http://www.seaside.st/community?
>>

> I think in #squeak one has probably the highest chance of getting help
> the whole day.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Erm Phillippe,

thats besides the point.

What Sebastian is saying is that there is currently a #seaside channel,
admittedly a new one, and that it deserves a mention on the seaside website.

Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on seaside is not
relevant to the point or tot the request. If this is the case, then
those in the #seaside channel can say. "you could try asking on the
#squeak channel to see if anyone there can help".

regards

Keith

2008/4/28, Keith Hodges <[hidden email]>:

> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
> > 2008/4/28, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > > Right now people not subscribed to email list of proacively and
> accurately
> > >  searching for it wont have the chance to know about the channel. Is a
> good idea
> > >  to refer its existence in http://www.seaside.st/community?
> > >

> > I think in #squeak one has probably the highest chance of getting help
> > the whole day.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Philippe
> >

>  Erm Phillippe,
>
>  thats besides the point.
>
>  What Sebastian is saying is that there is currently a #seaside channel,
> admittedly a new one, and that it deserves a mention on the seaside website.
>
>  Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on seaside is not
> relevant to the point or tot the request.

Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.

That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
that currently #squeak is the first place you go.

Cheers
Philippe

> If this is the case, then those in
> the #seaside channel can say. "you could try asking on the #squeak channel
> to see if anyone there can help".
>
>  regards
>
>  Keith

RE: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Sebastian Sastre-2
> >  Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on
> seaside is not
> > relevant to the point or tot the request.
>
> Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
> that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.
>
> That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
> that currently #squeak is the first place you go.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

No, is not the point. Unless, of course, you want, for some reason, to preserve confusion and misleading. Besides not all seasiders are squeakers, the likely to found help on #css in the #javascript channel has nothing to do with preserving its separation of concerns.

Do we have a trend to try to innovate unnecessarily? even to the point of starting to detriment comunication or preventing its improvment? Can we review how clear is this point for the good of the community?

Sebastian

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

cedreek
choosing a compromise as Philippe proposed is enough for now I think...
saying that the seaside channel is quite new and that for historical
reasons, you're still more likely to find help on squeak

my 2 cents...

Cédrick

ps: is the seaside channel logged as I know squeak
is...http://ircbrowse.com/index.html. Just a question of a bot ?

2008/4/29 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:

> > >  Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on
>  > seaside is not
>  > > relevant to the point or tot the request.
>  >
>  > Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
>  > that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.
>  >
>  > That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
>  > that currently #squeak is the first place you go.
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  > Philippe
>  >
>
>  No, is not the point. Unless, of course, you want, for some reason, to preserve confusion and misleading. Besides not all seasiders are squeakers, the likely to found help on #css in the #javascript channel has nothing to do with preserving its separation of concerns.
>
>  Do we have a trend to try to innovate unnecessarily? even to the point of starting to detriment comunication or preventing its improvment? Can we review how clear is this point for the good of the community?
>
>  Sebastian

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

cedreek
I see a nice feature in having a seaside channel. Maybe create a
seaside component that we could plug in seaside.st so as to live
access to #seaside. Would we need comet for that ? or a periodical
refresh will be enough ?
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1915
Maybe a viewer would be enough, but less interesting though...

Is it doable ? interesting ?

Cédrick

2008/4/29 cdrick <[hidden email]>:

> choosing a compromise as Philippe proposed is enough for now I think...
>  saying that the seaside channel is quite new and that for historical
>  reasons, you're still more likely to find help on squeak
>
>  my 2 cents...
>
>  Cédrick
>
>  ps: is the seaside channel logged as I know squeak
>  is...http://ircbrowse.com/index.html. Just a question of a bot ?

>  >  > seaside is not
>  >  > > relevant to the point or tot the request.
>  >  >
>  >  > Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
>  >  > that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.
>  >  >
>  >  > That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
>  >  > that currently #squeak is the first place you go.
>  >  >
>  >  > Cheers
>  >  > Philippe
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  No, is not the point. Unless, of course, you want, for some reason, to preserve confusion and misleading. Besides not all seasiders are squeakers, the likely to found help on #css in the #javascript channel has nothing to do with preserving its separation of concerns.
>  >
>  >  Do we have a trend to try to innovate unnecessarily? even to the point of starting to detriment comunication or preventing its improvment? Can we review how clear is this point for the good of the community?
>  >
>  >  Sebastian
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  _______________________________________________
>  >  seaside mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside
>  >

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Steve Wart
Okay I'll delurk - as someone who's on irc a lot and was asking this question in the channel just the other day, also as someone who knows very little about seaside but actively playing with the non-squeak variants.

Last time I checked there were 2 of us in the #seaside channel on irc.freenode.net (mid-morning UK time). The #squeak channel was much more populated and the consensus there was the traffic was low enough that they'd be happy to answer seaside questions for any dialect of Smalltalk (the irc.parcplace.net channels are also very useful).

I don't mind which channel offers support, but if you are going to advertise it, please be prepared to support it. If I'm there I can give long-winded war story-type responses about VisualWorks and GemStone but I'm not going to offer anything sensible about the best way to structure a seaside application.

I love IRC, it's great for community, but I also see it as a crutch. Better to take the time to think about your question and your responses and post it on the mailing list. Chances are you'll figure it out for yourself, or at least make some decent progress before asking.

Steve

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
choosing a compromise as Philippe proposed is enough for now I think...
saying that the seaside channel is quite new and that for historical
reasons, you're still more likely to find help on squeak

my 2 cents...

Cédrick

ps: is the seaside channel logged as I know squeak
is...http://ircbrowse.com/index.html. Just a question of a bot ?

2008/4/29 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> > >  Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on
>  > seaside is not
>  > > relevant to the point or tot the request.
>  >
>  > Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
>  > that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.
>  >
>  > That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
>  > that currently #squeak is the first place you go.
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  > Philippe
>  >
>
>  No, is not the point. Unless, of course, you want, for some reason, to preserve confusion and misleading. Besides not all seasiders are squeakers, the likely to found help on #css in the #javascript channel has nothing to do with preserving its separation of concerns.
>
>  Do we have a trend to try to innovate unnecessarily? even to the point of starting to detriment comunication or preventing its improvment? Can we review how clear is this point for the good of the community?
>
>  Sebastian

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Lukas Renggli
>  Is it doable ? interesting ?

That should be doable in less than 20 lines of code, I suppose. There
is already an IRC client in Squeak and to hook it up with a Seaside
interface should be relatively simple.

Personally I don't really see the usefulness of IRC, but it would be
certainly cool to have the up-to-date logs included on the web-site.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

2008/4/29 Steve Wart <[hidden email]>:

> Okay I'll delurk - as someone who's on irc a lot and was asking this
> question in the channel just the other day, also as someone who knows very
> little about seaside but actively playing with the non-squeak variants.
>
> Last time I checked there were 2 of us in the #seaside channel on
> irc.freenode.net (mid-morning UK time). The #squeak channel was much more
> populated and the consensus there was the traffic was low enough that they'd
> be happy to answer seaside questions for any dialect of Smalltalk (the
> irc.parcplace.net channels are also very useful).
>
> I don't mind which channel offers support, but if you are going to advertise
> it, please be prepared to support it.
Aye, this one of the main issues. This also includes a professional
setup with topic and ChanServ or admin bot and so forth.

Cheers
Philippe

2008/4/29 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> >  Is it doable ? interesting ?
>
>  That should be doable in less than 20 lines of code, I suppose. There
>  is already an IRC client in Squeak and to hook it up with a Seaside
>  interface should be relatively simple.

Main difficulty is the loggin aspect. And also, I was worried about
memory and so on if using a WAListener or only updaters...
Anyway, this could be a nice demo component to build... (I just can't
try myself right now)

>  Personally I don't really see the usefulness of IRC, but it would be
>  certainly cool to have the up-to-date logs included on the web-site.

It's cool as a chat, a dedicated one... you get to know people, and
ask stupid questions :) not all problems need a mail...

log would be cool, but not squeak log, seaside one...Concerning the
bot and all... I think there is a squeak bot project in GSoC so maybe
wait until the end of this summer.

Cédrick

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Steve Wart
You also need to think about anonymizing e-mail addresses and stuff that people type in there. Not everyone is happy for their chats to be published on the web.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:35 PM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/4/29 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>:
> >  Is it doable ? interesting ?
>
>  That should be doable in less than 20 lines of code, I suppose. There
>  is already an IRC client in Squeak and to hook it up with a Seaside
>  interface should be relatively simple.

Main difficulty is the loggin aspect. And also, I was worried about
memory and so on if using a WAListener or only updaters...
Anyway, this could be a nice demo component to build... (I just can't
try myself right now)

>  Personally I don't really see the usefulness of IRC, but it would be
>  certainly cool to have the up-to-date logs included on the web-site.

It's cool as a chat, a dedicated one... you get to know people, and
ask stupid questions :) not all problems need a mail...

log would be cool, but not squeak log, seaside one...Concerning the
bot and all... I think there is a squeak bot project in GSoC so maybe
wait until the end of this summer.

Cédrick

RE: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Sebastian Sastre-2
I'm sure you know an open community has limited resources and mostly based on good will and volunteering. Also casual convergence of interests can create oportunities of cooperation. Seaside is an artifact, among many others, built on that kind of basis.

If you have concrete facts to support complains about the quality of the support service you receive, say here by mail or any comunication channel, electronic or not, please expose them so they can be discussed with clarity. You can ask for more quality of that service but, as you are informed, you must remember its basis. If you are not satisfied with that I'm sure you can contact professionals who are most interested in being contracted by you for a fair price so they can give its bests to colaborate for your success.

Instrospection is great but is not the silver bullet to all our problems. Internet is the cruth to factorize geography so what? Casual chats can make, anybody willing to learn to receive or to provide help, to assimilate lots of new informations of great quality in cool interpersonal interactions and in very short time. Is a matter of willing to create an ambient for that going with what we have and we can't create an ambient like that with a conditioning attitude. So the question in the air is: are we capable of making this a valuable part of the Seaside experience?

Sebastian Sastre

Okay I'll delurk - as someone who's on irc a lot and was asking this question in the channel just the other day, also as someone who knows very little about seaside but actively playing with the non-squeak variants.

Last time I checked there were 2 of us in the #seaside channel on irc.freenode.net (mid-morning UK time). The #squeak channel was much more populated and the consensus there was the traffic was low enough that they'd be happy to answer seaside questions for any dialect of Smalltalk (the irc.parcplace.net channels are also very useful).

I don't mind which channel offers support, but if you are going to advertise it, please be prepared to support it. If I'm there I can give long-winded war story-type responses about VisualWorks and GemStone but I'm not going to offer anything sensible about the best way to structure a seaside application.

I love IRC, it's great for community, but I also see it as a crutch. Better to take the time to think about your question and your responses and post it on the mailing list. Chances are you'll figure it out for yourself, or at least make some decent progress before asking.

Steve

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM, cdrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
choosing a compromise as Philippe proposed is enough for now I think...
saying that the seaside channel is quite new and that for historical
reasons, you're still more likely to find help on squeak

my 2 cents...

Cédrick

ps: is the seaside channel logged as I know squeak
is...http://ircbrowse.com/index.html. Just a question of a bot ?

2008/4/29 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> > >  Whether it is better than #squeak as a source of help on

>  > seaside is not
>  > > relevant to the point or tot the request.
>  >
>  > Oh yes it is. Because go you there looking for help and the only thing
>  > that matters to you is how likely you're getting the help you need.
>  >
>  > That doesn't mean we can't mention it but we should surely point out
>  > that currently #squeak is the first place you go.
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  > Philippe
>  >
>
>  No, is not the point. Unless, of course, you want, for some reason, to preserve confusion and misleading. Besides not all seasiders are squeakers, the likely to found help on #css in the #javascript channel has nothing to do with preserving its separation of concerns.
>
>  Do we have a trend to try to innovate unnecessarily? even to the point of starting to detriment comunication or preventing its improvment? Can we review how clear is this point for the good of the community?
>
>  Sebastian

Re: It is time for a Seaside IRC channel?

Steve Wart
I have no complaints - I have had great support from everyone.

I would suggest that an irc resource be allowed to develop on its own. Once it proves to be a useful place for new people, then it would be worth advertising its presence.

Steve

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Randal L. Schwartz

Steve> I would suggest that an irc resource be allowed to develop on its
Steve> own. Once it proves to be a useful place for new people, then it would
Steve> be worth advertising its presence.

Well, you have the chicken-and-egg problem then.  We can all
meet "at the watering hole", but the Internet is full of "holes". :)

So we need to agree that "people specifically interested in IRCing about
Seaside should go to freenode#seaside" so that there will eventually be a
status quo, and questions can get answered.  I'm already there, watching for
stuff.

It doesn't have to be advertised as "get support here".  Just "here's the
watering hole if you want to chat... might even be a Smart Person or two there
to get questions answered".  It'll sort itself out soon enough.

2008/4/29, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

>  Steve> I would suggest that an irc resource be allowed to develop on its
>  Steve> own. Once it proves to be a useful place for new people, then it would
>  Steve> be worth advertising its presence.
>
>  Well, you have the chicken-and-egg problem then.  We can all
>  meet "at the watering hole", but the Internet is full of "holes". :)
>
>  So we need to agree that "people specifically interested in IRCing about
>  Seaside should go to freenode#seaside" so that there will eventually be a
>  status quo, and questions can get answered.  I'm already there, watching for
>  stuff.
>
>  It doesn't have to be advertised as "get support here".  Just "here's the
>  watering hole if you want to chat... might even be a Smart Person or two there
>  to get questions answered".  It'll sort itself out soon enough.

http://www.seaside.st/community/irc

It's a wiki so feel free to edit it.

Cheers
Philippe