It looks like Amber, it smells like Amber… But it is not Amber!

It looks like Amber, it smells like Amber… But it is not Amber!

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

After looking at S8 [1], it's clear that it's a fork of Amber
[2]. While this is perfectly fine as Amber is released under MIT, I
really don't like the statements on the website about the license and
origin of the project [3].

S8 doesn't fulfil the MIT license as the copyright
of Amber should be clearly stated on the S8 website.

Quoting the page:

"
    How/where S8 is different from product/project XXX ?

    S8 as result of regional scheme of concepts is unique and we don´t
    know about other formulations similar to S8.  It is frequently asked
    if "S8 source code" is derivative work of other MIT licensed sources
    (please download and read license terms if it is still your interest).
    The question is incorrect (and we are free to do not answer incorrect
    questions here) because it means that the person asking has not
    reached the understanding of Smalltalk required to adopt a POV
    consistent with S8 (Smalltalk as not a language).
"

Moreover, I couldn't find anywhere on the website a link to such a
license or any reference to amber being the original project.

Stating that S8 is a fork of Amber there, instead of attempting to
evade the question, would simply be fair play. As it is right now it
looks more like stealing than forking an opensource project.  In the
world of opensource, I think this is really a shame :-/

Now maybe I'm just too stupid and I " have not reached the
understanding of Smalltalk required to adopt a POV consistent with
S8"...

Cheers, Nico

[1] http://u8.smalltalking.net/s8.aspx
[2] http://amber-lang.net
[3] http://u8.smalltalking.net/

Re: It looks like Amber, it smells like Amber… But it is not Amber!

Guido Stepken

S8 - Embedding morphic.js
Copyright (C) 2013 - http://u8.smalltalking.net/profile/aleReimondo/147/index.html
Copyright (C) 2013 Alejandro F. Reimondo  http://www.aleReimondo.com

Parts of source code written for Jtalk, Copyright (C) 2011 by Nicolas Petton
Also code and ideas from Clamato (http://clamato.net), written by Avi Byrant.
The PetitParser library, published by Lukas Renggli (http://lukas-renggli.ch) and released under the MIT license.
And people that contributed to Smalltalk on diverse media years(decades) before this license holders claimed ownership.

Am 16.05.2013 15:15 schrieb "Nicolas Petton" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Hi Ale,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm keeping the entire contents of your
response as you asked.

If you could only clearly state on your website that s8 is based
on Amber (formerly known as Jtalk) with a link and the license,
it would completely solve the issue. Getting the license file is
currently almost impossible unless you really know where to find
it, and I don't think that's good enough, sorry. Your work is
based on Amber, and Amber is under MIT, all I require from you is
to respect the copyright and put it **somewhere visible**.

What you're saying is obviously not true. I read a good part of
S8 as it is online today, and I can assure that it's not just "as
compatible as possible" with Amber, it **is based on** Amber with
modifications and additions to it.

I can even tell you that s8 is based on a version of Amber that's
at around 2 years old. I recognize the code without any doubt, and can
point you to links if that's required (but I do hope that this will
not be needed). I could even point you to issues that S8 does have today
as they were resolved in Amber during its development over the last 2
years.

I do not care about philosophical matters here, what matters to me
here is being fair play. I do not try to understand what you are
doing. I'm just seeing Amber code being used. That's all.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want by any mean to be rude. All I
ask is my work and other Amber contributors' to be respected.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Am 16.05.2013 15:40 schrieb "Nicolas Petton" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Guido, where did you find this?

Hi Nicolas!

As already written here, you can find that copyright notice, where you and your Amber are explictely mentioned, e.g. here:

http://u8.smalltalking.net/profile/aleReimondo/147/index.html

Have fun!

> Cheers,
> Nico
>

> On May 16, 2013, at 3:34 PM, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> S8 - Embedding morphic.js
>> Copyright (C) 2013 - http://u8.smalltalking.net/profile/aleReimondo/147/index.html
>> Copyright (C) 2013 Alejandro F. Reimondo  http://www.aleReimondo.com
>>
>> Parts of source code written for Jtalk, Copyright (C) 2011 by Nicolas Petton
>> Also code and ideas from Clamato (http://clamato.net), written by Avi Byrant.
>> The PetitParser library, published by Lukas Renggli (http://lukas-renggli.ch) and released under the MIT license.
>> And people that contributed to Smalltalk on diverse media years(decades) before this license holders claimed ownership.
>>
>> Am 16.05.2013 15:15 schrieb "Nicolas Petton" <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> After looking at S8 [1], it's clear that it's a fork of Amber
>>> [2]. While this is perfectly fine as Amber is released under MIT, I
>>> really don't like the statements on the website about the license and
>>> origin of the project [3].
>>>
>>> S8 doesn't fulfil the MIT license as the copyright
>>> of Amber should be clearly stated on the S8 website.
>>>
>>> Quoting the page:
>>>
>>> "
>>>     How/where S8 is different from product/project XXX ?
>>>
>>>     S8 as result of regional scheme of concepts is unique and we don´t
>>>     know about other formulations similar to S8.  It is frequently asked
>>>     if "S8 source code" is derivative work of other MIT licensed sources
>>>     (please download and read license terms if it is still your interest).
>>>     The question is incorrect (and we are free to do not answer incorrect
>>>     questions here) because it means that the person asking has not
>>>     reached the understanding of Smalltalk required to adopt a POV
>>>     consistent with S8 (Smalltalk as not a language).
>>> "
>>>
>>> Moreover, I couldn't find anywhere on the website a link to such a
>>> license or any reference to amber being the original project.
>>>
>>> Stating that S8 is a fork of Amber there, instead of attempting to
>>> evade the question, would simply be fair play. As it is right now it
>>> looks more like stealing than forking an opensource project.  In the
>>> world of opensource, I think this is really a shame :-/
>>>
>>> Now maybe I'm just too stupid and I " have not reached the
>>> understanding of Smalltalk required to adopt a POV consistent with
>>> S8"...
>>>
>>> Cheers, Nico
>>>
>>> [1] http://u8.smalltalking.net/s8.aspx
>>> [2] http://amber-lang.net
>>> [3] http://u8.smalltalking.net/
>>

>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: It looks like Amber, it smells like Amber. But it is not Amber!

Nicolas Petton
Ale, thanks for your answer.

Again, your email is untouched at the bottom of this one.

First, **Amber and Jtalk are the same project**. It was simply renamed:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/commit/1af622cf99ce11d248525fd9b6b072fd1d7b9398
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-September/053788.html

So I would appreciate if you could put the right name and website link, of course
stating that you took the code in september 2011, to not include more recent contributions.
Here you can find the right names to include: https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/contributors?from=2011-03-13&to=2011-09-20&type=c
A link to this page would be perfectly fine too I think (I'm not a license expert).

While adding the copyright notice, please put it somewhere visible on the website.
Your FAQ cannot stay evasive as it is now, it must include the proper copyright notice.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: It looks like Amber, it smells like Amber. But it is not Amber!

Nicolas Petton
Hi again,

As for S8 being based on Amber/Jtalk, I'm not talking about contributions, of course.
But for S8 itself (the Smalltalk implementation), while you keep saying it's not based on Amber, it is more than obvious that it is the case.

Taking into account that modifications have been made (some quite large, I agree), here's a quick list that I can make, comparing
to Amber/Jtalk as of sept. 2011:

- The bootstrap is Amber bootstrap (almost a 100% copy/paste)
- The JS representation is taken from Amber
- The implementation of base classes are from Amber
- The MOP classes implementation is taken from Amber
- Classes and methods implementation and manipulation in JavaScript are directly taken from Amber
- Syntax additions are directly taken from Amber
- The AST is Amber's AST
- The CompiledMethod implementation is taken from Amber (it's a "low" thingie, reflects the implementation, that's why I list it here)
- The compiler is a modified version of the old Amber compiler (which is bad, you should update ;-) )
- The wrapped classes are Amber wrapped classes (Number, String, Array, Boolean, BlockClosure and so on)
- The ClassBuilder is the Amber class builder
- The Collection classes are directly taken from Amber
- The Stream and StringStream implementations are taken from Amber
- The PetitParser port is taken from Amber (itself adapted from Clamato)
- I could probably go on, but I am getting tired...

That's basically already the entire smalltalk implementation. It very clearly shows that S8 is based on Amber. I also saw a number of
issues that I were fixed after you forked, I could list them here. So, trust me, I looked at the right part of the code:
the Smalltalk implementation available today on your website.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to promote Amber this way at all (that would be really sick), and I think that all of this is really
unfortunate for everyone, including me.

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Amber license infringement issue resolved

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

I'm dropping a quick email to tell you that this unfortunate incident is now past us.

The U8 website has been updated, the S8 page [1] now states that S8 is a derivative work.
A link has also been added to the license terms [2] with the proper copyright notice.

I'm very glad for this. Thank you for being fair toward the work of others.

We can now go back to the thing that really matters here, making Smalltalk rock even more!

[2] http://u8.smalltalking.net/S8licenseTerms.aspx