It would be me first

Igor Stasenko
saying that SqueakSource down.

or it is down only for me , such an unlucky guy? :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: It would be me first

Frank Shearar-3
On 7 February 2012 15:08, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> saying that SqueakSource down.
>
> or it is down only for me , such an unlucky guy? :)

Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.

frank

Re: It would be me first

Steve Wart-2
Isn't there a mirror somewhere? Seems like it's always down.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7 February 2012 15:08, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> saying that SqueakSource down.
>
> or it is down only for me , such an unlucky guy? :)

Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.

frank

Re: It would be me first

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't there a mirror somewhere?

Yes, in Chile. Search the mailing list.
I however, choose something different: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/migrating-projects-to-squeaksource3/

Seems like it's always down.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7 February 2012 15:08, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> saying that SqueakSource down.
>
> or it is down only for me , such an unlucky guy? :)

Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.

frank

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: It would be me first

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 07 Feb 2012, at 16:58, Frank Shearar wrote:

> Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.

Where is SmalltalkHub ?
Last time it was publically available for testing it looked quite good.
What is holding it back ?

Sven

Re: It would be me first

garduino
New priority job for me: move all my stuff from squeaksource to ss3.

About SmalltalkHub I think that need more time yet (taking in account
the lack of news) then the only real option is ss3 imho.

Cheers.

--
Enviado desde mi dispositivo móvil

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogpost.com

Re: It would be me first

Igor Stasenko
On 7 February 2012 21:35, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07 Feb 2012, at 16:58, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.
>
> Where is SmalltalkHub ?
+1

> Last time it was publically available for testing it looked quite good.
> What is holding it back ?

+2

while ss3 is better than sqs, SmalltalkHub is more appeal to me. :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: It would be me first

Stéphane Ducasse
I passed the info to nicolas and he will probably reply.

stef

On Feb 8, 2012, at 1:11 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 7 February 2012 21:35, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07 Feb 2012, at 16:58, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like it's dead. The machine's alive, and the HTTP server's alive though.
>>
>> Where is SmalltalkHub ?
> +1
>
>> Last time it was publically available for testing it looked quite good.
>> What is holding it back ?
>
> +2
>
> while ss3 is better than sqs, SmalltalkHub is more appeal to me. :)
>
>> Sven
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: It would be me first

Geert Claes
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I passed the info to nicolas and he will probably reply.

stef
What was Nico's reply?

Re: It would be me first

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post
the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:

SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken
some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most
of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.

The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can
describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though
haven't had much time yet.

The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It
is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend
using plain jQuery REST.

The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain
model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is
persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting
twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON
RiakDocuments to store.

End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the
performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong
robustness since it has redundancy built in.

All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for
Nicolas to answer. :)

regards, Göran

Re: It would be me first

NorbertHartl

Am 28.02.2012 um 10:13 schrieb Göran Krampe:

> Hi folks!
>
> Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:
>
> SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.
>
> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
>
> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
>
> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
>
> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong robustness since it has redundancy built in.
>
> All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for Nicolas to answer. :)

Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?

Norbert

Re: It would be me first

Igor Stasenko
On 28 February 2012 10:38, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28.02.2012 um 10:13 schrieb Göran Krampe:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:
>>
>> SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.
>>
>> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
>>
>> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
>>
>> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
>>
>> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong robustness since it has redundancy built in.
>>
>> All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for Nicolas to answer. :)
>>
> Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
> What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?

i think it just a json with data, which riak server can swallow :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: It would be me first

Nicolas Petton
On 28/02/12 14:05, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 28 February 2012 10:38, Norbert Hartl<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Am 28.02.2012 um 10:13 schrieb Göran Krampe:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:
>>>
>>> SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.
>>>
>>> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
>>>
>>> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
>>>
>>> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
>>>
>>> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong robustness since it has redundancy built in.
>>>
>>> All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for Nicolas to answer. :)
>>>
>> Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
>> What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?
>>
> i think it just a json with data, which riak server can swallow :)

Exactly, it's a tiny layer on top of Riak that uses Magritte
descriptions to produce JSON, validates it, and makes link walking, etc
easier.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

SmalltalkHub news (was: It would be me first)

Nicolas Petton
Hi all!

As Göran said, he recently joined our forces on SmalltalkHub. We're used
to working together and he has great Riak knowledge. He's mainly working
on the Riak-backed Monticello repository.

Currently, timelines, users, projects, settings, user dashboard and
profile are ported for Riak.

As soon as the Riak Monticello repository will be ready, we'll release
and put it online.

That means taht the issue tracker and project statistics probably won't
be there at first, but as Stef said to me several times already, release
release early, release often, it doesn't have to be perfect from the
start :)

So I'm gonna listen to Stef, and make it publicly available.

On 28/02/12 10:13, Göran Krampe wrote:

> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can
> describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though
> haven't had much time yet.
>
> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It
> is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend
> using plain jQuery REST.
>
> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain
> model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is
> persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting
> twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON
> RiakDocuments to store.
>
> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the
> performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong
> robustness since it has redundancy built in.

I couldn't have said it better, thanks Göran :)

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: It would be me first

I would love to get some presentations for our cool forthcoming conference: if you see what I want to say norbert :)
Nicolas will do two I guess
        one on riak
        one of the application he is developing for a german company.

Stef

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Am 28.02.2012 um 10:13 schrieb Göran Krampe:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:
>>
>> SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.
>>
>> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
>>
>> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
>>
>> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
>>
>> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong robustness since it has redundancy built in.
>>
>> All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for Nicolas to answer. :)
>>
> Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
> What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?
>
> Norbert

Re: It would be me first

NorbertHartl

Am 28.02.2012 um 21:01 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> I would love to get some presentations for our cool forthcoming conference: if you see what I want to say norbert :)

Yes, I know :) I promised it to you, didn't I? I can do two as well. I could repeat my FOSDEM presentation on REST services with Seaside-Rest in concerto with using Magritte3 for content handling in XML and Json. It is about routing of services, content negation (Accept/Content-Type headers) and meta model assistance.
As a second one I could present the mentioned web api tester we are doing. This includes serialization as well with Magritte3 in  JSON and BSON, MongoTalk to talk to MongoDB and single page UI with seaside and jquery. If that's not all to similar to what Nicolas is doing. Well, if Esteban is presenting as well there might be a bigger intersection between Esteban, Nicolas and me (web stack wise). :)

Norbert

> Nicolas will do two I guess
> one on riak
> one of the application he is developing for a german company.
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>

>> Am 28.02.2012 um 10:13 schrieb Göran Krampe:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> Nicolas will of course reply - I think he was planning to write a post the other day but might have forgotten - but I can chip in some info:
>>>
>>> SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.
>>>
>>> The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
>>>
>>> The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
>>>
>>> The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
>>>
>>> End result? A very strong and interesting architecture and the performance looks outstanding so far. Riak also buys us really strong robustness since it has redundancy built in.
>>>
>>> All questions regarding availability, time schedule etc I will leave for Nicolas to answer. :)
>>>
>> Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
>> What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?
>>
>> Norbert

Re: It would be me first

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok Excellent!

what we should do is to make sure that the participants get information information
and information about doing more business with pharo :).

Stef

> Yes, I know :) I promised it to you, didn't I? I can do two as well. I could repeat my FOSDEM presentation on REST services with Seaside-Rest in concerto with using Magritte3 for content handling in XML and Json. It is about routing of services, content negation (Accept/Content-Type headers) and meta model assistance.
> As a second one I could present the mentioned web api tester we are doing. This includes serialization as well with Magritte3 in  JSON and BSON, MongoTalk to talk to MongoDB and single page UI with seaside and jquery. If that's not all to similar to what Nicolas is doing. Well, if Esteban is presenting as well there might be a bigger intersection between Esteban, Nicolas and me (web stack wise). :)

Re: It would be me first

Göran Krampe
Hi Norbert!

On 02/28/2012 10:38 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> Sounds good. I work with Seaside-Rest and Magritte3 on a daily base. This time with MongoDB using MongoTalk. So I'm quite confident that the choice of the stack is superb :) I decided to use MongoDB because it did not want to be content agnostic. My client approach however is the opposite using seaside with jquery extension. Using amber with Rest style access is surely the better approach for a site like SmallHub.
> What puzzles me is what RiakDocument is doing in this mix. Is it published somewhere?

It is in the Phriak repo. It is nothing big.

regards, Göran

PS. Tried numerous times to accept your linkedIn invitation but it
always failed. Eventual consistency strikes! :)

Re: It would be me first

Geert Claes
Administrator
Göran Krampe wrote
SmalltalkHub has gone through some technical evolution which has taken some time. Especially various persistence schemes were tested and most of them ended up problematic, Nicolas tested a LOT of variations I think.

The latest stack looks very promising though - and the reason I can describe it is because I am trying to help out a bit with it - though haven't had much time yet.
I just hadn't heard for a while and was interested :)

Göran Krampe wrote
The client is a full Amber app built with Bootstrap 2 from Twitter. It is very nice looking and responsive. It communicates with the backend using plain jQuery REST.
From a UX and UI point of view, I am very very interested in the Amber/Bootstrap approach as UI was something I found Smalltalk trailing a bit.

Göran Krampe wrote
The server side is built with Seaside-REST which then uses a domain model described with Magritte 3 (Nicolas just switched) which is persisted using RiakDocument + Phriak for persistency. An interesting
twist here is that Magritte is being used to produce the JSON RiakDocuments to store.
To promote Smalltalk to get more real-world business use all the work that has gone into this could be used to put together some robustness, scalability best practices I assume?

Anyhow, good stuff!! Glad to hear things are moving forward :)

Re: SmalltalkHub news (was: It would be me first)

garduino
Hi Nico:

First question that comes to my mind, why Riak and not Gemstone?

Cheers.