JS debugging question

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    I had a couple essential features working well in Firefox and Safari. I wish I can have them working on IE and Opera. I don't know you but I really miss Firebug so much when I'm not in Firefox. So I wanted to ask to you what are you using to debug in other browsers than Firefox? Market dictates that the priorizable ones are:
    1. IE - Internet Explorer (it's a pitty. I read it don't want to do js objects garbage collection well just to say 1 "bugature"). The best how-to I've found is:  http://www.jonathanboutelle.com/mt/archives/2006/01/howto_debug_jav.html
    2. Safari. Great for the consumer obvioulsy in mac and recently Apple lauched a beta for windows (unfortunately too much unstable yet but minimally usable) which is great for those who want their apps work in safari and don't have/justify mac hardware. I wish it work better on M$ Windows.
    3. Opera. Multiplatform, hangs sometimes but it's design demostrates that they put attention on consumer. It don't convince me as consumer particularily but it has a couple of features that are very friendly. With some trouble I finally was able to open it's JS console and DOM inspector in 9.21 version.
    All code I've made, until now, works well in Safari. But if for any reason I need to debug javascript there, I don't know what to do. What do you guys use to debug js in Safari?

    cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

PD: seems to be a new beta from the scriptaculous guys. I wonder if (when proper version deserves it) the proces of upgrading will be reasonable easy for us?

Re: JS debugging question

Lukas Renggli
>     1. IE - Internet Explorer (it's a pitty. I read it don't want to do js
> objects garbage collection well just to say 1 "bugature"). The best how-to
> I've found is:
> http://www.jonathanboutelle.com/mt/archives/2006/01/howto_debug_jav.html

Yes, the Microsoft Script Editor is the only debugger for IE I know
of. It sort of does what it should.

>     All code I've made, until now, works well in Safari. But if for any
> reason I need to debug javascript there, I don't know what to do. What do
> you guys use to debug js in Safari?

Drosera (http://www.webkit.org) is a very nice debugger available
trough the nightly builds of the WebKit. I've never really used it
though. Safari handles most code well that works in FireFox.

> PD: seems to be a new beta from the scriptaculous guys. I wonder if (when
> proper version deserves it) the proces of upgrading will be reasonable easy
> for us?

Name: Scriptaculous-lr.200
Author: lr
Time: 14 June 2007, 9:07:33 pm
UUID: 01fb0638-5013-464d-b681-c84929180f1d
Ancestors: Scriptaculous-lr.199

- script.aculo.us V1.7.1 beta 3

* Update to Prototype 1.5.1 final

* New elements and handles options for Sortable.create which take
arrays of elements or element ids. These overrule the normal handle
and elements finding options on initialization of the sortable, and
can yield huge performance increases in situations where these
elements or ids are known at call time. [Thomas Fuchs]

* Major performance improvement of Sortable.create when using the
handle option. [Tobie Langel]

* Fix Builder.node double quote escaping in attributes, fixes #8125. [Aa!]

*V1.7.1 beta 2* (April 28, 2007)

* Update to Prototype 1.5.1_rc4
  - Various optimizations and fixes
  - http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/spinoffs/prototype/trunk/CHANGELOG?rev=6604

* Fix autocompleter indicator not appearing when calling activate()
directly. Don't show indicator for local autocompleting. Fixes #7770.
[pyro8019]

* Don't clear out autocompleting fields in Mozilla-based browsers when
navigating back to a page with the Back button, fixes #7752. [seanc]

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: JS debugging question

Sebastian Sastre-2

> > What do you guys use to debug js in Safari?
>
> Drosera (http://www.webkit.org) is a very nice debugger
> available trough the nightly builds of the WebKit. I've never
> really used it though. Safari handles most code well that
> works in FireFox.

Well this is certainly good news.

> > PD: seems to be a new beta from the scriptaculous guys. I wonder if
> > (when proper version deserves it) the proces of upgrading will be
> > reasonable easy for us?
>
> Name: Scriptaculous-lr.200
> Author: lr
> Time: 14 June 2007, 9:07:33 pm
> UUID: 01fb0638-5013-464d-b681-c84929180f1d
> Ancestors: Scriptaculous-lr.199
>
> - script.aculo.us V1.7.1 beta 3
>
> * Update to Prototype 1.5.1 final

This is great Lukas!!
Question: which version of Seaside installs this version of scriptaculous?

Sebastian Sastre

Re: JS debugging question

Lukas Renggli
> > * Update to Prototype 1.5.1 final
>
> This is great Lukas!!
> Question: which version of Seaside installs this version of scriptaculous?

Only the latest Seaside 2.8

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: JS debugging question

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Lukas,

        I've customized a fresh image with Seaside 2.8 and saw that it loads
Prototype 1.5.1_rc1. If I'm not wrong they are in the rc4 by today. I found
a kind of bug in prototype and a fix that already posted in the prototype
list. Anyway I think that we should move to the lastest Prototype.

        I can make #prototypeJS method a loose of my packages to upgrade but
I think that maybe is better keep yours.

        Cheers,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: JS debugging question

Lukas Renggli
>         I've customized a fresh image with Seaside 2.8 and saw that it loads
> Prototype 1.5.1_rc1. If I'm not wrong they are in the rc4 by today. I found
> a kind of bug in prototype and a fix that already posted in the prototype
> list. Anyway I think that we should move to the lastest Prototype.

I basically include with Scriptaculous what comes with its
distribution. Prototypes 1.5.1 final is shipped together with
script.aculo.us 1.7.1 beta3, and as far as I understand, Prototypes
1.5.1_final is newer than Prototype 1.5.1_rc1. No?

Lukas

 --
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: JS debugging question

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi Lukas,

        I've checked it. You're right, the final version is newer than rc1.
While we where 'talking' they launched the 1.5.1.1 version of Prototype.
Prevents a crash in some Safari version related to it's RegEx they say. To
upgrade or not to upgrade that is the question. If you take a look they
ensure backward compatibility so I think we can try it out. What do you
think?

        cheers,

Sebastian Sastre