JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

It is time to find a replacement for current Prototype/Scriptaculous
based autocomplete and in-place editing support.

Does someone know a good JS library for that?

Probably independent of jQuery, so that we won't end up in the same
position as we are currently with Prototype. Also if it would be
compatible with Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework, even better. This CSS
framework is namely something we should incorporate in Aida too.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Martin Polák
Hi Janko,

this isn't that easy. It looks, like vast majority of JS developers is using jQuery or something similar. I found some projects, but almost unmaintained IMO. For autocomplete http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/8020/Auto-complete-Control but 7 years old. In Safari on Mac works fine. In-place editing http://tool-man.org/examples/edit-in-place.html (inactive since 2005) and http://dbachrach.com/blog/2007/01/create-flickr-like-editing-fields-using-ajax-css/ (5 years old). But do we need in-place editing? Is it good UX design pattern?

Martin

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

bobcalco
Hi Janko,

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

It is time to find a replacement for current Prototype/Scriptaculous
based autocomplete and in-place editing support.

Does someone know a good JS library for that?

Probably independent of jQuery, so that we won't end up in the same
position as we are currently with Prototype. Also if it would be
compatible with Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework, even better. This CSS
framework is namely something we should incorporate in Aida too.

I think a better design goal is to let users decide on jQuery vs. whatever. It seems important to include jQuery as a key alternative, but these things are always left up to either individual fancy or groupthink. These change over time.

I think it would add more value to incorporate something like KnockoutJS, which provides a clean MVVM pattern with declarative data-binding capability that is for me way more compelling than this or that way to query or manipulate the DOM per se. I have been using Knockout recently on a project with KineticJS (for canvas manipulation) and it is very, very good -- it allows your UI code to be clean and declarative and separate from your javascript model and view model.

This is where I wish Amber was more back-end agnostic and worked more like coffeescript.

AFAIK, KnockoutJS is not dependent on jQuery. You have to add your own binding handlers for jQuery if you wish to get jQuery UI stuff to work with Knockout.

- Bob

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Bob Calco

813-520-2891 (mobile)

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> It is time to find a replacement for current Prototype/Scriptaculous
JM> based autocomplete and in-place editing support.

JM> Does someone know a good JS library for that?

Ever thought about YUI?
It seems to have both features, is open source and backed by a
sizeable company.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Martin,

On 06. 07. 2012 12:30, Martin Polák wrote:

> this isn't that easy. It looks, like vast majority of JS developers is using jQuery or something similar. I found some projects, but almost unmaintained IMO. For autocomplete http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/8020/Auto-complete-Control but 7 years old. In Safari on Mac works fine. In-place editing http://tool-man.org/examples/edit-in-place.html (inactive since 2005) and http://dbachrach.com/blog/2007/01/create-flickr-like-editing-fields-using-ajax-css/ (5 years old).

I noticed that oldiness too. So far I came already quite far with jQuery
UI Autocomplete widget and it seems will fit nicelly in Aida event
framework, so let me see if this will be ok, for now.

But do we need in-place editing? Is it good UX design pattern?

Why you think it won't be good UX? I'm using in-plce editing quite
extensivelly so I need to find some non-prototype replacement, maybe
jQuery based for start....

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Bob,

On 06. 07. 2012 13:11, Robert Calco wrote:

>     It is time to find a replacement for current Prototype/Scriptaculous
>     based autocomplete and in-place editing support.
>
>     Does someone know a good JS library for that?
>
>     Probably independent of jQuery, so that we won't end up in the same
>     position as we are currently with Prototype. Also if it would be
>     compatible with Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework, even better. This CSS
>     framework is namely something we should incorporate in Aida too.
>

> I think a better design goal is to let users decide on jQuery vs.
> whatever. It seems important to include jQuery as a key alternative, but
> these things are always left up to either individual fancy or
> groupthink. These change over time.

Yes, but Aida has some widgets like autocomplete there by default and we
need support for that. For now I'm going with jQuery, let we see if this
will go.

Note also that Aida is a bit higher level web framework for more
business usage and we like to hide all that lower lever html/css/js
details to the usual programmer. Who is focused more on solving the
business problem an less on being bleeding edge and outstanding in
features and design. But still allow all these for more skilled one.

> I think it would add more value to incorporate something like
> KnockoutJS, which provides a clean MVVM pattern with declarative
> data-binding capability that is for me way more compelling than this or
> that way to query or manipulate the DOM per se. I have been using
> Knockout recently on a project with KineticJS (for canvas manipulation)
> and it is very, very good -- it allows your UI code to be clean and
> declarative and separate from your javascript model and view model.
>
> This is where I wish Amber was more back-end agnostic and worked more
> like coffeescript.
>
> AFAIK, KnockoutJS is not dependent on jQuery. You have to add your own
> binding handlers for jQuery if you wish to get jQuery UI stuff to work
> with Knockout.

I'll look at it, thanks for the pointer!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Martin Polák
Hi Janko,

6. 7. 2012 v 20:49, Janko Mivšek:

> Why you think it won't be good UX? I'm using in-plce editing quite
> extensivelly so I need to find some non-prototype replacement, maybe
> jQuery based for start....
>
> Janko

I think in-place editing, at least as presented by JS plugins are not common in any operating system or GUI system. So common user generally don't know how to use it. I know it's not hard to explain the function of this feature, but better is solution that doesn't need any further explanation. Also visually impaired users with screen readers may achieve serious problems using this controls. In general every non-standard GUI element is hard to use for visually impaired persons. At last some in-place editing JS plugins could have problems on touch devices like tablets and so.

But this is only my opinion and maybe I will use in-place too :)

Oh and currently some jQuery plugin seems to be the best solution for now.

Martin