JSON in VA Smalltalk

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please give me some idea as to what is available in VA Smalltalk v8.6.3 and v9.2.2.

I may need to add some JSON access to a large project built with v8.6.3 and I wondering if it would be better to upgrade to v9.2.2.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lou

Re: JSON in VA Smalltalk

Wayne Johnston
We had upgraded to 9.1.1 a while ago to get JSON support, and it works well.  Now we are on a newer version of VAST.

Re: JSON in VA Smalltalk

jtuchel
I guess you have two options:

  • You can download Gareth's port of NeoJSON from VASTGoodies and see if it runs on VAST 8.6.2 (Which I think it does, IIRC, we've been using it for a while)
  • Upgrade to v9.2.2 and use Instantiations' supported port of NeoJSON
I'd recommend the upgrade to 9.2.2, obviuosly, but I understand there may be reasons not to do so immediately.
In any case, you'll be using Sven's finely crafted and well-documented NeoJSON framework.

Joachim
[hidden email] schrieb am Freitag, 28. August 2020 um 15:51:34 UTC+2:
We had upgraded to 9.1.1 a while ago to get JSON support, and it works well.  Now we are on a newer version of VAST.

Re: JSON in VA Smalltalk

Louis LaBrunda
Hi  Joachim ,

Thanks.  I thought I would have to upgrade.  It is good to know NeoJSON is well supported.

Lou

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 1:41:28 AM UTC-4 [hidden email] wrote:
I guess you have two options:

  • You can download Gareth's port of NeoJSON from VASTGoodies and see if it runs on VAST 8.6.2 (Which I think it does, IIRC, we've been using it for a while)
  • Upgrade to v9.2.2 and use Instantiations' supported port of NeoJSON
I'd recommend the upgrade to 9.2.2, obviuosly, but I understand there may be reasons not to do so immediately.
In any case, you'll be using Sven's finely crafted and well-documented NeoJSON framework.

Joachim
[hidden email] schrieb am Freitag, 28. August 2020 um 15:51:34 UTC+2:
We had upgraded to 9.1.1 a while ago to get JSON support, and it works well.  Now we are on a newer version of VAST.

Re: JSON in VA Smalltalk

jtuchel

Hi Lou

Before something goes wrong: I am not saying the NeoJSON - Port on VASTGoodies is supported. I said it’s a fine piece of Software written and documented by a real good and responsible developer. The only supported version on VAST is the one Instantiations ships with VAST...

Joachim
[hidden email] schrieb am Samstag, 29. August 2020 um 14:21:40 UTC+2:
[...]

Oh,

I hadn't considered you might mean that it is good to know that teher is a well supported JSON parser/writer available on VAST. If that is what you meant, you are absolutely right. It is a good thing Sven's NeoJSON components have been ported to VAST. It is such a nice and clean framework, well documented and supported by its developer. But he only supports the original version for Pharo.
And it is a good thing that Instantiations takes the lead on porting and maintaining the port on VAST.
We do, unfortunatly, not (yet?) have a vital open source community on VAST. I hope Tonel and the VAST Community Hub will help change that culture.

Joachim

[hidden email] schrieb am Sonntag, 30. August 2020 um 14:24:27 UTC+2:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Personally, and I have said this many times, I think Sven's projects are probably the best, fastest, documented, tested and maintained projects you can find in the Smalltalk  open source community. Not only we ported and supported NeoJSON in VAST, but also NeoCSV and STON serializer (which is needed by Tonel BTW). In addition, while doing the port, we contributed back to the upstream project some enhancements and fixes. Some of those changes were to make those projects more dialect agnostic and Sven was always happy to integrate those changes. So, future ports of these projects will be easier and easier.

Cheers,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:09 AM Joachim Tuchel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.