Japanese Fonts

Evan Donahue
Hello,

I am trying to get Japanese characters to show up in my Pharo image. Following some advice I found on google, I have set my font to something that I think should handle Japanese characters:

defaultFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'Droid Sans Fallback' pointSize: 18.
StandardFonts defaultFont: defaultFont.

I then used the settings browser to force that to all system fonts. I did not notice a change to any of the text when I did this, so I am not sure it worked. Also, Japanese text still shows up as spaces. Does anyone know whether this is something I need to deal with in Pharo, on Ubuntu, or both? As far as I can tell, the font is on my system.

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Japanese Fonts

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi,
     which version of Pharo are you using? Where do you install your font in your linux system? This is because Pharo is looking for the fonts in the paths '/usr/share/fonts' '/usr/local/share/fonts' and ~/.fonts. So maybe it is not finding them. This is not the ideal solution, because if you have another font directory configured you can't use it (even though, adding your custom directory is as easy as modifying a method :) ).

Have you tried to disable and reenable FreeType support in the settings browser. It will help as when freetype is enabled the font cache is reconstructed. Also you can try to set the font from that settings browser. If it is shown in the font dialog when using the system browser you can use the font.

Cheers,
Pablo.

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Japanese Fonts

Evan Donahue
Hi, thanks for the reply.

FreeType disable/reenable seems to have done the trick. It loaded up my system fonts, and I was able to select Noto Sans CJK JP, which seems to do the trick. For reference, this is on Pharo 6 #60334. I also installed this for text entry: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~tomooda/Tekka and it seems to work like a charm.

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Japanese Fonts

tesonep@gmail.com
Great you can fixed it.

Cheers,
Pablo.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 4:25 AM, Evan Donahue <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

FreeType disable/reenable seems to have done the trick. It loaded up my
system fonts, and I was able to select Noto Sans CJK JP, which seems to do
the trick. For reference, this is on Pharo 6 #60334. I also installed this
for text entry: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~tomooda/Tekka and it seems to
work like a charm.

Thanks,
Evan