Java EE 7 and Dynamic Typing

ariliquin
The addition of dynamic typing into Java seems to fit with
implementing Smalltalk in Java. Is there anyone working on RedLine who
can comment on how they feel about this and where they see redline in
24 months time?

Re: Java EE 7 and Dynamic Typing

James Ladd
Great question.

Currently we are concentrating on making Redline work without any
dependency on a specific version of the JVM. That being said we
probably only want to support V 1.4 or above.

InvokeDynamic and other features that are coming to the JVM represent
very useful features we want to take advantage of. However, we must
also ensure there is a "fallback" for running on a JVM without them.

In 24 months time if the use of the JVM with dynamic features out
numbers those without, then it is likely we will drop support for the
older versions of the JVM in favour of optimising for the future.

Does this answer your question?

Rgs, James.

On Feb 17, 12:19 pm, Ariliquin Ariliquin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The addition of dynamic typing into Java seems to fit with
> implementing Smalltalk in Java. Is there anyone working on RedLine who
> can comment on how they feel about this and where they see redline in
> 24 months time?

Re: Java EE 7 and Dynamic Typing

ariliquin
Yes, very clearly, thank you.