JavaLoader

Julien Delplanque
Hi,

I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
could give me some examples of use.

For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?

I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Re: JavaLoader

abergel
Hi Julien,

You should have a look at the Moose platform: http://moosetechnology.org
Moose is made exactly to analyze software, and has more then 15 years of engineering. Roassal is a component of Moose.

To analyze some Java, you need a tool to translate your .java files into a big .mse file. MSE is a meta-model that is accepted by Moose. As far as I know, two tools are available for this: VerveineJ and inFamoos(? I cannot remember the exact name).

VerveineJ is unfortunately not free. Ask directly in the Moose mailing list for this.
However, I have a copy of it. I can generate the .MSE file if you give me access to the Java code.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Mar 26, 2015, at 9:39 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
could give me some examples of use.

For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?

I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Re: JavaLoader

Blaine Buxton-2
Hello,
I'm the developer of that library. I have some tests that should shed some light. If you ned any help, just ping me. I try to keep it update with the latest Pharo releases. But, I haven't used it in a long time because I originally developed it to load in Java serialized streams and to read in Java class files.

Let me know if you need anything.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
could give me some examples of use.

For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?

I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Re: JavaLoader

Julien Delplanque
Thanks for providing this lib :)

Is it compatible with only a certain version of Java?

On 26/03/15 16:02, Blaine Buxton wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm the developer of that library. I have some tests that should shed some
> light. If you ned any help, just ping me. I try to keep it update with the
> latest Pharo releases. But, I haven't used it in a long time because I
> originally developed it to load in Java serialized streams and to read in
> Java class files.
>
> Let me know if you need anything.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
>> could give me some examples of use.
>>
>> For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
>> class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?
>>
>> I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
>> doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Julien

Re: JavaLoader

Julien Delplanque
Oh and just for you to know, some tests are red in pharo 4.

Capture =?UTF-8?B?ZCfDqWNyYW4gZGUgMjAxNS0wMy0yNiAxNjozODo1My5wbmc=?= (192K) Download Attachment

Re: JavaLoader

abergel
Hi Blaine,

Can you tell us more about it. What is the current stage of it?
It looks like highly promising. But it is a significant task to reach a usable state I imagine.

On Mar 26, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Blaine Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oh thanks I'll check this out! :)

On 26/03/15 14:05, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> You should have a look at the Moose platform: http://moosetechnology.org <http://moosetechnology.org/>
> Moose is made exactly to analyze software, and has more then 15 years of engineering. Roassal is a component of Moose.
>
> To analyze some Java, you need a tool to translate your .java files into a big .mse file. MSE is a meta-model that is accepted by Moose. As far as I know, two tools are available for this: VerveineJ and inFamoos(? I cannot remember the exact name).
>
> VerveineJ is unfortunately not free. Ask directly in the Moose mailing list for this.
> However, I have a copy of it. I can generate the .MSE file if you give me access to the Java code.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: JavaLoader

Blaine Buxton-2
It should work. It's something that I did several years ago around Java3. I've made sure it has worked with every Pharo release (the tests pass under Pharo3). I will look into why they are failing under pharo4.

It's a project I did because I was mainly doing Java and go frustrated with serialization errors and it just went from there. The classloader and decompiler were for my own edification. I used to have it working inside the inspectors in Squeak, but I doubt they work now. I've been meaning to work on it again.

Everything should work. I did start on being able to Java VM code inside of Pharo, but got sidetracked with work and life.

I'd be happy to talk more. It's been about a year since I last looked at the code. I'll dig around sometime soon.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oh Java 3 I guess that's why there is an error when I try to load my
Java 7 bytecode.

It told me there is an error because of "<" symbol. I guess Java 3
didn't supports generics? (The first version of Java I used is Java 6 so
i don't know.)

Is there a way to update this package easily to be used with java 7 or
even 8? I can try to help but I don't know if I have enough knowledges
on java bytecode to help here.

On 27/03/15 00:21, Blaine Buxton wrote:

> It should work. It's something that I did several years ago around Java3.
> I've made sure it has worked with every Pharo release (the tests pass under
> Pharo3). I will look into why they are failing under pharo4.
>
> It's a project I did because I was mainly doing Java and go frustrated with
> serialization errors and it just went from there. The classloader and
> decompiler were for my own edification. I used to have it working inside
> the inspectors in Squeak, but I doubt they work now. I've been meaning to
> work on it again.
>
> Everything should work. I did start on being able to Java VM code inside of
> Pharo, but got sidetracked with work and life.
>
> I'd be happy to talk more. It's been about a year since I last looked at
> the code. I'll dig around sometime soon.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Blaine,
>>
>> Can you tell us more about it. What is the current stage of it?
>> It looks like highly promising. But it is a significant task to reach a
>> usable state I imagine.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>>

>> On Mar 26, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Blaine Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I'm the developer of that library. I have some tests that should shed some
>> light. If you ned any help, just ping me. I try to keep it update with the
>> latest Pharo releases. But, I haven't used it in a long time because I
>> originally developed it to load in Java serialized streams and to read in
>> Java class files.
>>
>> Let me know if you need anything.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
>>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
>>> could give me some examples of use.
>>>
>>> For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
>>> class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?
>>>
>>> I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
>>> doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Julien

Re: JavaLoader

Blaine Buxton-2
I updated the java loader library to Pharo 4 (load the latest from smalltalkhub.com). There was a few bugs and deprecated methods, but I fixed them all. I loaded a new Java 8 class (with lambdas) and everything is working. If you have a problem, could you send me the offending class to [hidden email]? There's a lot of moving parts and I would like to start adding tests for what fails.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> light. If you ned any help, just ping me. I try to keep it update with the
>> latest Pharo releases. But, I haven't used it in a long time because I
>> originally developed it to load in Java serialized streams and to read in
>> Java class files.
>>
>> Let me know if you need anything.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Julien Delplanque <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw this repository on smalltalkhub:
>>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~blabux/JavaLoader/ and I wonder if someone
>>> could give me some examples of use.
>>>
>>> For example, is it possible to use JavaLoader with Roassal to display
>>> class hierarchy of a java project or something like that?
>>>
>>> I browsed google and the mailing list's archives but didn't found any
>>> doc/examples... Maybe I'm not searching in the right place? :)

Re: JavaLoader

Julien Delplanque
Ok I will do another test and if it fail again, I'll sent you the file.
But not now cause I'm a bit busy this week-end. Maybe next week.

Thanks for updating your project.

Regards,

Julien