JavaScript charting

Ramiro Diaz Trepat-2
Hi there,
Any recommendations of JS Charting libraries to use with Seaside?
I think I like Google Chart best, has anyone used it?
Cheers

Re: JavaScript charting

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

Although there is no binding for Seaside (yet), I have been using the following two js libraries recently:
- http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/
- http://d3js.org

I have been using them in combination with a Seaside app, but I need a bit more experience with them before I could make a Seaside binding. So, if anyone wants to do that, I would be very interested too.

btw, this is a great resource: http://techslides.com/50-javascript-charting-and-graphics-libraries/

On 07 Jun 2013, at 05:20, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
> Any recommendations of JS Charting libraries to use with Seaside?
> I think I like Google Chart best, has anyone used it?
> Cheers

Re: JavaScript charting

NorbertHartl

Am 07.06.2013 um 05:20 schrieb Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]>:

Hi there,
Any recommendations of JS Charting libraries to use with Seaside?
I think I like Google Chart best, has anyone used it?

It really depends on what you want to do. What are the priorities you have in mind? Should be open source? You need an easy tool that supports basic charts? I tested something between 10 and 15 charting libs. One thing they have all in common. If you need to do more elaborate stuff the configuration of the charts becomes huge and complicated. I didn't see any good abstraction for the problem.

When using google charts you should see if it matches your intention. Using it might send your data to google in order to generate charts. AFAIK it is dependent on the chart type and complexity you need to tackle. Well, it is google and it is hard to find decent information about things google does. I'm far from being confident about how it works.

If you are look for a simple and good looking chart lib you might have a look at morris.js (http://www.oesmith.co.uk/morris.js/). I use it in production but I only do real basic stuff.

If you are creating a product that generates money and you want a hassle free integration I would recommend highcharts (http://www.highcharts.com/). It is not free and I never used it myself. From what I heard is that it is very good and powerful.

Norbert

Re: JavaScript charting

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Ramiro,

On 07 Jun 2013, at 05:20, Ramiro Diaz Trepat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I like Google Chart best, has anyone used it?

You can do pretty cool stuff with Google Charts, with very little effort:

(ZnEasy getPng: 'http://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=tx&chl=',
        'a^2+b^2=c^2' encodeForHTTP) asMorph openInHand.

This is an example I got from Lukas Renggli once.

I am using Google Charts for little graphs in web apps and it works very well. But it all depends on what you want or expect of course.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu