Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

12

Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

Pavel Krivanek-2
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 19 March 2011 11:43, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I supposed it has potential to be the fastest Smalltalk implementation
>> however classical tinyBenchmark results are not good. :-)
>>
> Fastest?? Without dedicated VM support.. Noo.. that's impossible.

V8 is now about 5-10 times slower than C while VisualWorks is about 20
times slower than C so if the translation to plain JavaScript will be
efficient enough, it has very interesting potential.

Of course Jtalk will not be complete Smalltalk implementation, it will
not probably have such capabilities like continuations, resumeable
exceptions, weak references, good debugger etc. But it is the next
reason why it may be very fast.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: [Pharo-project] Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

Hannes Hirzel
More compilers which compile from a dynamic language to JavaScript

https://github.com/jashkenas/coffee-script/wiki/List-of-languages-that-compile-to-JS

Smalltalk not mentioned yet ....

--Hannes

On 3/21/11, Richard Durr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As far as I can see, the only way to call external Javascript is by writing
> Javascript-Code directly into a method like so:
> doSomethingWith: anObject
>      {'return SOMELIBRARY.doSomething(anObject); '}
>
> is this correct?
> The OMETA based Smalltalk->JS translator seem to let one use st-syntax for
> direct access to javascript like so:
>
> doSomethingWith: anObject [
>     SOMELIBRARY doSomething: anObject.
> ]
>
> and CoffeeScript can use JS seamlessly in the same way.
>
> Best regards,
> RD
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Nicolas Petton
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare time: Jtalk
>> Smalltalk.
>>
>> http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
>> https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk
>>
>> Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that compiles into
>> JavaScript.
>>
>> Some features:
>> - it is written in itself (including the parser/compiler)
>> - it is self-contained
>> - it compiles into efficient JS code
>> - it uses the Squeak chunk format
>> - Pharo is considered as the reference implementation
>>
>> I think Jtalk can be compared to CoffeeScript[1], Objective-J[2] or
>> Clamato[3], from which it reuses some ideas and code.
>>
>> Jtalk includes an IDE with a class browser, transcript and workspace, an
>> HTML canvas similar to Seaside and a jQuery binding.
>>
>> It is still a young piece of code, and some important features are still
>> missing/incomplete.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nicolas Petton
>>
>> [1] http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
>> [2] http://cappuccino.org/
>> [3] http://clamato.net

Re: [Pharo-project] Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

Richard Durr-2
yes it is:

SMALLTALK

  • Clamato a Smalltalk dialect that is designed to operate within the JavaScript runtime.
  • Silver Smalltalk [commercial] Smalltalk in the browser.
  • JTalk An implementation of the Smalltalk language that runs on top of the JavaScript runtime.

12