Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare time: Jtalk
Smalltalk.

http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk

Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that compiles into
JavaScript.

Some features:
- it is written in itself (including the parser/compiler)
- it is self-contained
- it compiles into efficient JS code
- it uses the Squeak chunk format
- Pharo is considered as the reference implementation

I think Jtalk can be compared to CoffeeScript[1], Objective-J[2] or
Clamato[3], from which it reuses some ideas and code.

Jtalk includes an IDE with a class browser, transcript and workspace, an
HTML canvas similar to Seaside and a jQuery binding.

It is still a young piece of code, and some important features are still
missing/incomplete.

Cheers,
Nicolas Petton

[1] http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
[2] http://cappuccino.org/
[3] http://clamato.net

Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

areichow
Nicolas-

As someone who doesn't do much with JavaScript at this point, I'm
happy to say that I was able to go a lot farther and have a lot more
fun toying around with the built-in browser and the Canvas demo than I
have with similar toolkits.

Very cool!

Aaron

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Nicolas Petton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare time: Jtalk
> Smalltalk.
>
> http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
> https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk
>
> Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that compiles into
> JavaScript.
>
> Some features:
> - it is written in itself (including the parser/compiler)
> - it is self-contained
> - it compiles into efficient JS code
> - it uses the Squeak chunk format
> - Pharo is considered as the reference implementation
>
> I think Jtalk can be compared to CoffeeScript[1], Objective-J[2] or
> Clamato[3], from which it reuses some ideas and code.
>
> Jtalk includes an IDE with a class browser, transcript and workspace, an
> HTML canvas similar to Seaside and a jQuery binding.
>
> It is still a young piece of code, and some important features are still
> missing/incomplete.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicolas Petton
>
> [1] http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
> [2] http://cappuccino.org/
> [3] http://clamato.net

Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

tfleig
Very cool.

And just when I was about to forsake Smalltalk in favor of Javascript for Web 2.0 apps. In my apps, the bulk of the intelligence is in the client with the server is just doing simple RESTful stuff. It kind of made server-side Smalltalk seem like overkill... But if I could use Smalltalk for the client-side: awesome.

Works great in Firefox.

Safari complains about (I think) the use of "class" as a variable name at line 746 in ide.js.

Regards,
TF

Le lundi 14 mars 2011 à 14:37 -0700, Tony Fleig a écrit :

> Very cool.
>

> And just when I was about to forsake Smalltalk in favor of Javascript
> for Web 2.0 apps. In my apps, the bulk of the intelligence is in the
> client with the server is just doing simple RESTful stuff. It kind of
> made server-side Smalltalk seem like overkill... But if I could use
> Smalltalk for the client-side: awesome.
>

> Works great in Firefox.
>

> Safari complains about (I think) the use of "class" as a variable name
> at line 746 in ide.js.

I just fixed it, thanks. It should work in Safari now.

Cheers,
Nico

> Regards,
> TF
>

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Nicolas Petton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare
>         time: Jtalk
>         Smalltalk.
>
>         http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
>         https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk
>
>         Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that
>         compiles into
>         JavaScript.
>
>         Some features:
>         - it is written in itself (including the parser/compiler)
>         - it is self-contained
>         - it compiles into efficient JS code
>         - it uses the Squeak chunk format
>         - Pharo is considered as the reference implementation
>
>         I think Jtalk can be compared to CoffeeScript[1],
>         Objective-J[2] or
>         Clamato[3], from which it reuses some ideas and code.
>
>         Jtalk includes an IDE with a class browser, transcript and
>         workspace, an
>         HTML canvas similar to Seaside and a jQuery binding.
>
>         It is still a young piece of code, and some important features
>         are still
>         missing/incomplete.
>
>         Cheers,
>         Nicolas Petton
>
>         [1] http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
>         [2] http://cappuccino.org/
>         [3] http://clamato.net

Re: Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

thiago_sl
Hi Nicolas,
How Jtalk impacts in Iliad future?

Le lundi 14 mars 2011 à 16:41 -0700, Thiago SL a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
> How Jtalk impacts in Iliad future?

The truth is that I don't know yet. Will Jtalk impact Iliad at all? Will
it change it deeply? What about server-side widgets, are they all of the
sudden completely obsolete? Should the server-side be stateless, and the
UI fully written in Jtalk?

What do others think?

Cheers,
Nico

> On 14 mar, 18:52, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Le lundi 14 mars 2011 à 14:37 -0700, Tony Fleig a écrit :
> >
> > > Very cool.
> >
> > > And just when I was about to forsake Smalltalk in favor of Javascript
> > > for Web 2.0 apps. In my apps, the bulk of the intelligence is in the
> > > client with the server is just doing simple RESTful stuff. It kind of
> > > made server-side Smalltalk seem like overkill... But if I could use
> > > Smalltalk for the client-side: awesome.
> >
> > > Works great in Firefox.
> >
> > > Safari complains about (I think) the use of "class" as a variable name
> > > at line 746 in ide.js.
> >
> > I just fixed it, thanks. It should work in Safari now.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nico
> >

> > > Regards,
> > > TF
> >
> > > On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Nicolas Petton
> > > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >         Hi,
> >
> > >         I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare
> > >         time: Jtalk
> > >         Smalltalk.
> >
> > >        http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
> > >        https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk
> >
> > >         Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that
> > >         compiles into
> > >         JavaScript.
> >
> > >         Some features:
> > >         - it is written in itself (including the parser/compiler)
> > >         - it is self-contained
> > >         - it compiles into efficient JS code
> > >         - it uses the Squeak chunk format
> > >         - Pharo is considered as the reference implementation
> >
> > >         I think Jtalk can be compared to CoffeeScript[1],
> > >         Objective-J[2] or
> > >         Clamato[3], from which it reuses some ideas and code.
> >
> > >         Jtalk includes an IDE with a class browser, transcript and
> > >         workspace, an
> > >         HTML canvas similar to Seaside and a jQuery binding.
> >
> > >         It is still a young piece of code, and some important features
> > >         are still
> > >         missing/incomplete.
> >
> > >         Cheers,
> > >         Nicolas Petton
> >
> > >         [1]http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/
> > >         [2]http://cappuccino.org/
> > >         [3]http://clamato.net

Re: [Seaside] Jtalk, a Smalltalk for web developers

Bernat Romagosa
I've no words, amazing work Nico! I really look forward to see you presenting it at ESUG 2011!

Bernat Romagosa.

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 10:53 +0100, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :

> On 14 Mar 2011, at 19:36, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
> > I would like to share a project I'm working on on my spare time: Jtalk Smalltalk.
> >
> > http://nicolaspetton.github.com/jtalk
> > https://github.com/NicolasPetton/jtalk
> >
> > Jtalk is an implementation of the Smalltalk language that compiles into JavaScript.
>
> Really impressive!

Thanks :)

> Senders/Implementers would be nice to browse the code.
Yes, the IDE is very immature. Code checking before compiling is
missing, and better browsing tools too. The class browser isn't even
able to commit changes to disk yet.

> PS: On Safari, the 'Class Browser' button does not seem to work.
It should work now.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 12:10 +0000, Hannes Hirzel a écrit :
> On 3/15/11, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Since the implementation is relatively small, it makes an excellent example
> > of how to implement Smalltalk.
>
> Yes, the download of the Javascript files is just 160kB.
This is with the Smalltalk sources. Without it, it will be much smaller
for deployment.

Cheers,
Nicolas