Julia vs Pharo

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

I find a recent paper about Julia that might be appealing for people
interested in doing scientific computation in Pharo (like the
SciSmalltalk community) : http://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.1607v1.pdf
"Julia: A fresh approach to numerical computing"

Julia is a new dynamic programming language for scientific programming
with much higher performance than R or Python.

I found that some concepts are quite closed to Pharo in fact:

- meta-programming and code generation
- arbitrary precision integer
- JIT compiler (based on LLVM)
- call to C API

What is missing in Pharo at the moment:
- multiple dispatch
- arbitrary precision float
- dynamic dataflow type inference
- optional type annotations (maybe with pluggable type extensions for Pharo ?)
- special matrices types like spares or dense matrix, tri-diagonal, etc ...
- vectorization

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Julia vs Pharo

abergel
Hi Serge!

Thanks for sharing this.

I indeed believe that scientific computing will play a big role in Pharo adoption by a large public

Alexandre

> On Nov 15, 2014, at 2:57 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I find a recent paper about Julia that might be appealing for people
> interested in doing scientific computation in Pharo (like the
> SciSmalltalk community) : http://arxiv.org/pdf/1411.1607v1.pdf
> "Julia: A fresh approach to numerical computing"
>
> Julia is a new dynamic programming language for scientific programming
> with much higher performance than R or Python.
>
> I found that some concepts are quite closed to Pharo in fact:
>
> - meta-programming and code generation
> - arbitrary precision integer
> - JIT compiler (based on LLVM)
> - call to C API
>
> What is missing in Pharo at the moment:
> - multiple dispatch
> - arbitrary precision float
> - dynamic dataflow type inference
> - optional type annotations (maybe with pluggable type extensions for Pharo ?)
> - special matrices types like spares or dense matrix, tri-diagonal, etc ...
> - vectorization
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
> http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-dev] Julia vs Pharo

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Serge!
>
> Thanks for sharing this.
>
> I indeed believe that scientific computing will play a big role in Pharo adoption by a large public

The problem is that you need to invest at least 5 years of work before
having some impact in this domain.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: [Pharo-dev] [smalltalk-research] Re: Julia vs Pharo

abergel
I would not be that pessimistic.
We have to go step by step.

I have not had a look at SciSmalltalk. But can the section "15.1 Simple bootstraping exercise” of http://bogumilkaminski.pl/files/julia_express.pdf be written in SciSmalltalk?

Cheers,
Alexandre

<[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge!

Thanks for sharing this.

I indeed believe that scientific computing will play a big role in Pharo adoption by a large public

The problem is that you need to invest at least 5 years of work before
having some impact in this domain.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Julia vs Pharo

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM, werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>... What is missing in Pharo at the moment:
>>- multiple dispatch
>>- arbitrary precision float ...
>
> Hi Serge,
> there exists an arbitrary precision float package made by nicolas cellier:
> https://code.google.com/p/arbitrary-precision-float/wiki/ArbitraryPrecisionFloatForSqueakAndPharo

Great to know such a beast exist ;-)

> ok, its not builtin into pharo, but this is not really a problem, one uses
> those things more for crosschecking, where speed is not really a problem.
> re multiple dispatch, actually this was the first and most important thing i
> found missing when i discovered pharo ,squeak, smalltalk. otoh there exists
> a package that does this; if i remember correctly the name is helvetica. i
> read the papers about that package but never downloaded that package
> essentially for two reasons:
> - i'm a speed freak and feared this would slow down my programs too much. i
> thought this is something that should indeed be hard coded.
> - although, if  i remember correctly, this package _is downloadable, it was
> in a way deeply hidden in the internet (not in the usual places like
> smalltalkhub or squeaksource) as if the author did not really want it to be
> used by everybody for every task.

I never heard about this one.

Regards,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM, werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>I never heard about this one.
>
> no wonder<g>, i got the name wrong, it was helvetia

Ok, this is about domain-specific languages not multiple dispatch.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Julia vs Pharo

Lukas Renggli

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM, werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>I never heard about this one.
>
> no wonder<g>, i got the name wrong, it was helvetia

Ok, this is about domain-specific languages not multiple dispatch.

It actually included an example of multiple dispatch :-)

Cheers,
Lukas

Re: Julia vs Pharo

SergeStinckwich
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > no wonder<g>, i got the name wrong, it was helvetia
>>
>> Ok, this is about domain-specific languages not multiple dispatch.
>

> It actually included an example of multiple dispatch :-)

Hi Lukas,

I was not aware of that ;-)
I will have a look.

Thanks,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Julia vs Pharo

SergeStinckwich
Were is the code located ?

Apparently the Helvetia one click image is no more available on this page:
http://scg.unibe.ch/research/helvetia

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Help fight Ebola by joining the Computing for Ebola Challenge
http://bit.ly/1oEdBag

Re: Julia vs Pharo

Lukas Renggli
I've fixed the links. As far as I see, the image doesn't contain the code though  :-(

The code is in a separate package: http://mc.lukas-renggli.ch/fpm/. And there is a short description in B.16 of http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/phd/renggli-phd.pdf

Cheers,
Lukas