Jun and VW8.0

Jim Harsh

Hello,

Our application uses JUN as a 3d rendering engine. We are experiencing a memory related problem with BOSS that we haven’t been able to track down. (It involves saving multiple large TIFF or HDF images.) I want to test the BOSS64 stuff released in vw8.0 but when I try to load the latest Jun, it hangs on the last dialog box, “Do you want to save the image?”.

Does anyone know if the folks in Japan are working on a version of JUN for vw8.0?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Jun and VW8.0

Niall Ross
Dear Jim,

1) Given the significant UI upgrade in VisualWorks 8.0, it might be that
the Jun people need to do a tweak here and there to adapt to it.  As the
PUL for 8.0 is not out till December 8th, it may be that some in the Jun
team do not have 8.0 yet.

As you are a user of Jun, by all means get in touch with them to
register your interest, and encourage them to exercise Jun in 8.0.  That
may be motivating.

2) The BOSS64 work is in 7.10.1 (and 7.10). So you could try it out in
7.,10.1, but note the next point.

3) I tweaked the version of Jun for 7.10(.1) to recognise that a
7.10(.1) image was newer, not older, than a 7.5/7.6 image, to avoid
hiccoughs in a few

    older-image
       ifTrue: [use old Jun code]
       ifFalse: [use new Jun code]

branches.  This tweaked version of Jun796, to make it work in 7.10(.1),
is on the 7.10.1 distro.  (In 8.0, we've switched to Jun being
downloaded from the website.)  It may be the very latest version from
the Jun website - Jun797 <index.html#Download> of 2014jan27 - has these
fixes, but I have not checked.  I suggest you publish-to-Store Jun from
their website's 796 download, then publish reconciled Jun796 from a
7.10.1 installation, then publish reconciled Jun797 from their website,
and ensure the version you load has the image-signature-checking fixes.

                HTH
                   Niall Ross