Just a little point

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

After all the mails in Squeak-dev and all these nice words or explicit
suggestions about us been assholes, destructors...
whatever :) I would like to share with you my mindset to you.

We do not want a war, nor world domination. :)
We are doing pharo because Smalltalk deserves a good and beautiful
opensource implementation.
Our goal is not to kill Squeak. Our goal is to provide a vehicule on
top of which people can
  invent their future been it
        - multimedia
        - seaside
        - kids
        - research
We need a place to expand beauty. We want that students can get
enthusiast about Smalltalk and not
turned down by some ugly code. We want an agile system with lot of
tests, comments, clean code, driven
bit a lot of good software engineering practices.
I really thank the people that trust us.

Stef

PS: I'm one the guy that wrote 3 squeak book, 1 seaside book (coming
soon), translated etoys in french,
so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.

Re: Just a little point

keith1y
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> After all the mails in Squeak-dev and all these nice words or explicit
> suggestions about us been assholes, destructors...
> whatever :) I would like to share with you my mindset to you.

Might I please request that you read english, no such explicit statement
was ever made.

Keith

Re: Just a little point

keith1y

> so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.

I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...

answer zero

Keith

Re: Just a little point

keith1y
Keith Hodges wrote:
>> so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.
>>

> I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
> are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...
>
> answer zero

Its not even a technical issue, you have chosen a philosophically
predatory stance from the outset.

"We will make our own image, without any concern for giving back to
those who made it possible" The number of times I have heard, we are
changing this that or the other, and if you want the improvement "you
can port it if you want to", completely illustrates my point.

Those who made the contributions that you are using probably expected
that any improvements to their efforts would be fed back to them in a
form that they could make use of.

It is the main reason for companies to make their code open source,
because they anticipate some reciprocation from those who benefit, and
thus the benefit is mutual, and might offset the considerable cost of
development.

And in case you are wondering, the public repository for the community
to work towards improving SUnit,
 ( squeaksource/Testing ) does include

#assert:equals:

Keith

Re: Just a little point

Benoit St-Jean
Chers amis, désolé pour l'anglais mais comme je voulais que tous les principaux intéressés comprennent mon point de vue, j'ai choisi l'anglais!

Okay guys, let's put things in perspective here...

Pharo isn't at war with Squeak and vice-versa...  Just like any kid, it just wants to "live it's own life" and somehow, somewhat, slowly progress and become a little bit different from its parents, here namely Squeak.

If find it weird that 2 Smalltalk implementations/communities, so close to each other like Squeak and Pharo, go to great lengths at flaming each other...  Don't you find it weird that such discussions don't happen between VisualWorks and Dolphin, between VisualAge and GNU Smalltalk, etc ?

We're from the same family.  Okay, we're all a bit different different but, deep inside, we're so the same.

I'm a happy Smalltalker who's daily job involves VisualWorks, Dolphin and VisualAge.  In my spare time, I'm happy "squeaking" and "pharoing".  Can't we just respect each other's goals/ambitions/dreams and try to find some communality and try to stay "not too far from each other and benefit from each other" instead of starting a "cold war" that will only leave us isolated, both in our own camps ?  I'm puzzled!  What do I do if I like both?  Choose my camp or abandon them both ?

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

>> so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.
>>

> I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
> are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...
>
> answer zero

Its not even a technical issue, you have chosen a philosophically
predatory stance from the outset.

"We will make our own image, without any concern for giving back to
those who made it possible" The number of times I have heard, we are
changing this that or the other, and if you want the improvement "you
can port it if you want to", completely illustrates my point.

Those who made the contributions that you are using probably expected
that any improvements to their efforts would be fed back to them in a
form that they could make use of.

It is the main reason for companies to make their code open source,
because they anticipate some reciprocation from those who benefit, and
thus the benefit is mutual, and might offset the considerable cost of
development.

And in case you are wondering, the public repository for the community
to work towards improving SUnit,
( squeaksource/Testing ) does include

#assert:equals:

Keith

Re: Just a little point

Miguel Cobá
Hey Keith,

please stop this whole fighting attitude.
In squeak-dev you're fighting vs Andreas, here you're trying to do the
same with Stephane.
Maybe you don't give a book the same value that source code, but
Squeak by example it is
as valuable or maybe more than code than others (including you and of
course me) are written.
Why, because it is the obligated first stop in learning
squeak/smalltalk. At least for me it was.

This kind of mails don't add anything to the smalltalk arena. Live
your life, do your things and
let others do that they want (books, code, forks, whatever). Not every
people can be measured
by your own standards.

*I* personally admire you by your code (seaside helpers and installer)
and hope someday
can write something as useful like that, but these days the mails sent
to the list by a lot of
squeak/pharo members have exposed others facets not as remarkable as
the technical
ones of the senders.

So, let this whole thing behind and lets continue with the great job
*everyone* is doing in
his own field.

With all respect,
Miguel Cobá

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Keith Hodges<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.
>>
> I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
> are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...
>
> answer zero
>
> Keith

Re: Just a little point

Miguel Cobá
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Keith Hodges<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith Hodges wrote:
>>> so I'm laughing when people suggest that we are predators.
>>>

>> I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
>> are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...
>>
>> answer zero
>>

> Its not even a technical issue, you have chosen a philosophically
> predatory stance from the outset.
>
> "We will make our own image, without any concern for giving back to
> those who made it possible" The number of times I have heard, we are
> changing this that or the other, and if you want the improvement "you
> can port it if you want to", completely illustrates my point.
>
> Those who made the contributions that you are using probably expected
> that any improvements to their efforts would be fed back to them in a
> form that they could make use of.

This is a priori discarded because of the MIT license.
If you don't want this kind of behavior, the GPL/LGPL licenses exists for this
very exact situation. With MIT you can't force retributions back.

> It is the main reason for companies to make their code open source,
> because they anticipate some reciprocation from those who benefit, and
> thus the benefit is mutual, and might offset the considerable cost of
> development.

I don't think so. And when they do so, the choose other license. Take
the Java case. It is not MIT, but GPL. This is so that MS, IBM and other can't
run away with the code with giving back. Again, the license establish the
rights and obligations of the receiving party.

> And in case you are wondering, the public repository for the community
> to work towards improving SUnit,
>  ( squeaksource/Testing ) does include
>
> #assert:equals:
>
> Keith

Miguel Cobá

Re: Just a little point

Michael Roberts-2
Guys would it not be cool for each week we pick a different language
for the pharo list? I would really like to brush up on my
French....and we are very diverse in our group. I think this would
have two benefits. 1) we would talk less and write more code 2) we
would permanently have our tounge inserted in our cheek.

;-)

cheers mike
On Tuesday, July 7, 2009, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I am still counting your contributions back to the packages which you
>>> are using, which are public domain, and have public repositories...
>>>
>>> answer zero
>>>

>> Its not even a technical issue, you have chosen a philosophically
>> predatory stance from the outset.
>>
>> "We will make our own image, without any concern for giving back to
>> those who made it possible" The number of times I have heard, we are
>> changing this that or the other, and if you want the improvement "you
>> can port it if you want to", completely illustrates my point.
>>
>> Those who made the contributions that you are using probably expected
>> that any improvements to their efforts would be fed back to them in a
>> form that they could make use of.
>
> This is a priori discarded because of the MIT license.
> If you don't want this kind of behavior, the GPL/LGPL licenses exists for this
> very exact situation. With MIT you can't force retributions back.
>

>> It is the main reason for companies to make their code open source,
>> because they anticipate some reciprocation from those who benefit, and
>> thus the benefit is mutual, and might offset the considerable cost of
>> development.
>>

> I don't think so. And when they do so, the choose other license. Take
> the Java case. It is not MIT, but GPL. This is so that MS, IBM and other can't
> run away with the code with giving back. Again, the license establish the
> rights and obligations of the receiving party.
>

>> And in case you are wondering, the public repository for the community
>> to work towards improving SUnit,
>>  ( squeaksource/Testing ) does include
>>
>> #assert:equals:
>>
>> Keith
>>

> Miguel Cobá

Re: Just a little point

Miguel Cobá
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Michael Roberts<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Guys would it not be cool for each week we pick a different language
> for the pharo list? I would really like to brush up on my
> French....and we are very diverse in our group. I think this would
> have two benefits. 1) we would talk less and write more code 2) we
> would permanently have our tounge inserted in our cheek.
>
> ;-)

De acuerdo.
Agreed.
D'accord.
Ich bin einverstanden.

> cheers mike
> On Tuesday, July 7, 2009, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Its not even a technical issue, you have chosen a philosophically
>>> predatory stance from the outset.
>>>
>>> "We will make our own image, without any concern for giving back to
>>> those who made it possible" The number of times I have heard, we are
>>> changing this that or the other, and if you want the improvement "you
>>> can port it if you want to", completely illustrates my point.
>>>
>>> Those who made the contributions that you are using probably expected
>>> that any improvements to their efforts would be fed back to them in a
>>> form that they could make use of.
>>
>> This is a priori discarded because of the MIT license.
>> If you don't want this kind of behavior, the GPL/LGPL licenses exists for this
>> very exact situation. With MIT you can't force retributions back.
>>

>>> It is the main reason for companies to make their code open source,
>>> because they anticipate some reciprocation from those who benefit, and
>>> thus the benefit is mutual, and might offset the considerable cost of
>>> development.
>>>

>> I don't think so. And when they do so, the choose other license. Take
>> the Java case. It is not MIT, but GPL. This is so that MS, IBM and other can't
>> run away with the code with giving back. Again, the license establish the
>> rights and obligations of the receiving party.
>>

>>> And in case you are wondering, the public repository for the community
>>> to work towards improving SUnit,
>>>  ( squeaksource/Testing ) does include
>>>
>>> #assert:equals:
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>> Miguel Cobá

Re: Just a little point

keith1y
You are not relating to a licence you are relating to people.

A recent review of my contributions to date, indicates that the
contribution back rate is less than 1%, why does OSS exist again?

Keith

Re: Just a little point

keith1y
Miguel Cobá wrote:
> Hey Keith,
>
> please stop this whole fighting attitude.
> In squeak-dev you're fighting vs Andreas, here you're trying to do the
> same with Stephane.

When someone points out a problem or an issue, it doesnt make them the
problem. Leveling that attitude is actually abusive in itself. (Ref. The
subtle power of spiritual abuse)

Andreas, whether intentionally or not misused his position on the board,
other board members were condescending and rude. I pointed out the
problem, and if it was to persist I would call for their resignation.

Pharo continues with a not invented here policy, and has made no attempt
to review the code based for projects that could be mutually maintained.
This is a problem, and I shall continue to point it out until it is
resolved. It's a mindset issue.

This is not a fighting attitude, its a pragmatic attitude aiming to help
people to avoid wasting their time and effort.

Keith

Re: Just a little point

Reinout Heeck

> Pharo continues with a not invented here policy, and has made no
> attempt
> to review the code based for projects that could be mutually
> maintained.

I think it is a misanalysis to label that NIH, there are quite
different factors contributing to the lack of pushing contributions
upstream.

> This is a problem, and I shall continue to point it out until it is
> resolved. It's a mindset issue.

As it happens your timing is unfortunate in that a discussion was just
kindled here on which processes and mechanisms to put in place to
solve this issue.
Unfortunately a lot of messages have been posted here to the effect of
making statements without proposing solutions, washing out the
original constructive thread.

> This is not a fighting attitude, its a pragmatic attitude aiming to
> help
> people to avoid wasting their time and effort.

It would help if the balance of the message traffic moved from
pointing out problems towards discussing solutions.

-

Re: Just a little point

keith1y

> Pharo continues with a not invented here policy, and has made no attempt
> to review the code based for projects that could be mutually maintained.
> This is a problem, and I shall continue to point it out until it is
> resolved. It's a mindset issue.

I would like to make my point in a different polite way.

If you are the maintainer of a package and, in this multi-fork world,
you would like to maintain a single test suite for both squeak and
pharo, such that all tests run green, then the SUnit in
squeaksource.com/Testing may be for you.

It was developed for a multi-fork world back in August/Sept 2006. It
allows you to categorise which tests you expect to work on which
platform and which image version.

It is a multi-fork world out there, why not think it through?

Keith

Re: Just a little point

keith1y
Reinout Heeck wrote:

>> Pharo continues with a not invented here policy, and has made no
>> attempt
>> to review the code based for projects that could be mutually
>> maintained.
>>

> I think it is a misanalysis to label that NIH, there are quite
> different factors contributing to the lack of pushing contributions
> upstream.

Fail to plan, plan to fail?
> As it happens your timing is unfortunate in that a discussion was just
> kindled here on which processes and mechanisms to put in place to
> solve this issue.
> Unfortunately a lot of messages have been posted here to the effect of
> making statements without proposing solutions, washing out the
> original constructive thread.

It is the fact that proposed solutions have been ignored that brings me
to raise these issues. I am not just meaning technical solutions, I
primarily mean philosophical and process solutions.

I started working on the technical solutions for this very problem 3
years ago with Stephanes encouragement. Finally I am glad that someone
is considering looking at it.

>> This is not a fighting attitude, its a pragmatic attitude aiming to
>> help
>> people to avoid wasting their time and effort.
>>

> It would help if the balance of the message traffic moved from
> pointing out problems towards discussing solutions

I have been discussing solutions all along.

Monticello is our bread and butter for exchanging code, we all want it
to be better, we all want it to work everywhere. So it is a strategic
choice to chose to adopt and contribute to one implementation of
Monticello that is being actively maintained (was - since pharo isnt
using it I have stopped maintaining it).

SUnit is our bread and butter for testing code, we all want it to work,
we all want our tests to be compatible accross forks, we all want as
many green tests as possible with as few false negatives as possible.
Some of us would like to branch out to use SSpec for testing/design
purposes. Many of us would like to have an automated test server, with
periodic offline testing. www.squeaksource.com/Testing was established
to address these very same issues.

We want a minimal image, that we can pull things out of and reliably put
things back into no matter what image we are using even if it doesnt yet
have a GUI. In a multifork world we need to capture the knowledge of
what works where, and what patches are needed to make things work where.
Sake/Packages was developed for this purpose.

I look forward to good things from your discussions.

etc etc etc

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Just a little point

Janko Mivšek
Sorry Keith, but I must say this:

The obvious reason Pharoers reject your contributions are not
contributions as such but your attitude as the contributor. And I'd do
the same, reject them, because they are dangerous. Because they bring
you and your attitude with them.

Please think that way a bit. For the sake of Squeak community and our
progress. And for the sake of your work at the end. Changing your
attitude will change the acceptance of your work too, be sure!

Best regards
Janko

Keith Hodges pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Sorry Keith, but I must say this:
>
> The obvious reason Pharoers reject your contributions are not
> contributions as such but your attitude as the contributor. And I'd do
> the same, reject them, because they are dangerous. Because they bring
> you and your attitude with them.
>
> Please think that way a bit. For the sake of Squeak community and our
> progress. And for the sake of your work at the end. Changing your
> attitude will change the acceptance of your work too, be sure!
>
> Best regards
> Janko
Janko,

with respect this situation did not happen overnight.

It started to go down hill when I was forced to re-merge a simple
submission into seaside 3+ times, the submission was summarily rejected
with out explanation or discussion.

Have a look at magritte-model in the magritte repository, and you will
see a typical example. A trivial submission made in good faith.

best regards

Keith

Re: Just a little point

I will look at Testing when I have time and see how we can merge our
extension.
Some people know on this list that my life was extremely frantic
(having one hour to relax over the week-end,
or fixing my house until 11'oclock after my daily work for example).

Stef