Just a thought... default inspector window title

1 message Options

Just a thought... default inspector window title

Ben Coman

Just a random idea as I am inspecting variables from the debugger as I
trace through the code execution.  The default window title of the
inspector is the class being inspected however I end up with several
windows of the same class and it is hard to distinguish between them.
It would be nice (in this particular circumstance of mine) if the
inspector window title was the item being inspected rather than the
class being inspected.  For instance, if the debugger shows variables
'innerRectangle' & 'outerRectangle' each holding a Rectangle, the when I
inspect each, each window title would be 'innerRectance' &
'outerRectangle' rather than currently each being 'Rectangle'.   I
actually have been setting these manually using the halos but wondered a
change to the default behvaiour might be considered.

Taking this further, if I inspect code 'innerRectangle offset' in the
debugger, then the window title of the inspector would be
'innerRectangle offset' rather than currently being a third window
titled 'Rectangle'.

The lost 'class type' information from the inspector title bar might be
reinstated as a hover over 'self'.  This might also end up useful where
classes override their default printOn: behaviour such that the class is
not shown in the inspector.

I've not given thought to any downsides of this - particularly with
respect to difficulty to implement or expected conventions - but I
thought the current behaviour might be something just taken for granted.

cheers, -ben