Just a thought...

Gary Chambers-4
It might be nice that we have some more paint rules in BitBlt. A "fuzz/blur"
effect would be nice and take the load off the Squeak code for such things.

Just wanting to get more contemporary with the ui look without large
performance penalties.

Not quite liking the way that effects are hidden behind canvas (leading to a
bloated interface, perhaps (c.f. #drawImage... #drawTranslucentImage...)).
Not sure where the balance should be. Looks like a choke-point that is too
useful to bypass on a case-by-case basis.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Gary.

Re: Just a thought...

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
It might be nice that we have some more paint rules in BitBlt. A "fuzz/blur"
effect would be nice and take the load off the Squeak code for such things.

Just wanting to get more contemporary with the ui look without large
performance penalties.

Not quite liking the way that effects are hidden behind canvas (leading to a
bloated interface, perhaps (c.f. #drawImage... #drawTranslucentImage...)).
Not sure where the balance should be. Looks like a choke-point that is too
useful to bypass on a case-by-case basis.

If you were to implement some more interesting effects in BitBLT, how would you make sure that Morphs that use this code will still work on other targets such as Rome, Postscript Canvases, VNC etc?

Gulik

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Just a thought...

Igor Stasenko
2008/4/18 Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > It might be nice that we have some more paint rules in BitBlt. A
> "fuzz/blur"
> > effect would be nice and take the load off the Squeak code for such
> things.
> >
> > Just wanting to get more contemporary with the ui look without large
> > performance penalties.
> >
> > Not quite liking the way that effects are hidden behind canvas (leading to
> > bloated interface, perhaps (c.f. #drawImage... #drawTranslucentImage...)).
> > Not sure where the balance should be. Looks like a choke-point that is too
> > useful to bypass on a case-by-case basis.
> >

> If you were to implement some more interesting effects in BitBLT, how would
> you make sure that Morphs that use this code will still work on other
> targets such as Rome, Postscript Canvases, VNC etc?

1. BitBlt already contains many blitting rules which is problematic to
support on different back ends.
2. In future, i suppose, we need a more functional approach how to
define drawing operations.
To describe a blitting/drawing operations with classes/objects not
with integer numbers, like we currently have, which is meaningless and
hard to determine how they working.

Drawing operation should be represented by object -  a
function(source, destination, arguments..), where function is fully
reflected in language.

> Gulik
>

> --
> http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
> http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

RE: Just a thought...

Gary Chambers-4

Would need to have fallback options for backends that do not directly support any new features.
Sig, below, seems on the right track in terms of refactoring.

> 1. BitBlt already contains many blitting rules which is problematic to
> support on different back ends.
> 2. In future, i suppose, we need a more functional approach how to
> define drawing operations.
> To describe a blitting/drawing operations with classes/objects not
> with integer numbers, like we currently have, which is meaningless and
> hard to determine how they working.
>
> Drawing operation should be represented by object -  a
> function(source, destination, arguments..), where function is fully
> reflected in language.

Agree about the operation being properly represented *but* still need the extra performance of a backend (primitive) operation. People are complaining enough that Morhpic is slow...

> > Gulik
> >

> > --
> > http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
> > http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

RE: Just a thought...

Gary Chambers-4
Backwards compatability is always an issue, especially here. Wondering if we can really move things onwards now...

Re: Just a thought...

Igor Stasenko
i just discovered something which may be of you interest :)
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3269
See 'melt' filter. I think you can use it for smearing background

2008/4/19 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>:

> Backwards compatability is always an issue, especially here. Wondering if we
> can really move things onwards now...

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

RE: Just a thought...

Gary Chambers-4
Sorry Sig, thought I'd replied to this...

Appears to be juan's old work...
Looks a bit heavyweight and not addressing translucency blending into a "destination".

Won't worry about it for now, FuzzyLabelMorph will do. :-)

Regards,
Gary

Copy Enhancements?

Ken G. Brown
Gary asked on #Squeak IRC for other UI enhancement requests:

I have found it would be nice sometimes to be able to copy the complete line/lines of text from the upper pane of the debugger for such as pasting into an email asking for help with some problem or other. At the moment, the copy to paste buffer non-intuitively only gets the method name text. 'Copy text' gets way too much.

On Mac, doing cntl-click in the method pane of OB Package Browser, I see 'copy to paste buffer', but it does not appear to copy anything.

Also, couldn't that just be 'copy' in the menu?

Thx,
Ken G. Brown

Re: Copy Enhancements?

Karl Ramberg
I would like that feature.

Another text/copy feature, make it possible to select a piece of text
with the mouse and click and drag it to another place. I know I can do
that in list panes but I cant do it in text panes.

On 8/5/08, Ken G. Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary asked on #Squeak IRC for other UI enhancement requests:
>
> I have found it would be nice sometimes to be able to copy the complete
> line/lines of text from the upper pane of the debugger for such as pasting
> into an email asking for help with some problem or other. At the moment, the
> copy to paste buffer non-intuitively only gets the method name text. 'Copy
> text' gets way too much.
>
> On Mac, doing cntl-click in the method pane of OB Package Browser, I see
> 'copy to paste buffer', but it does not appear to copy anything.
>
> Also, couldn't that just be 'copy' in the menu?
>
> Thx,
> Ken G. Brown

RE: Copy Enhancements?

Gary Chambers-4
Finally found the options you metioned (Ctrl-RightClick here!).

For click-and-drag (text) it can be done, I normally disable such things (in
Word etc.) because it always heppens when I don't want it to! Perhaps with a
combination of modifer keys though.

Copy to paste buffer seems to take the Morph (rather than text), similar to
"grab" but without the drag/drop.

Copy text (in debugger stack trace) give me an arror on 3.9 (gets an array
of strings that is asked to be asText, hence failing. guess the same for all
lists).

Already (IMHO) the menus in Squeak are rather overloaded (not to mention
there being so many in the firest place). There is, I think, room though for
a "copy stack trace" next to the "mail out bug report".

Regards, Gary.

RE: Copy Enhancements?

Ken G. Brown
At 3:30 PM +0100 8/6/08, Gary Chambers apparently wrote:
>Finally found the options you metioned (Ctrl-RightClick here!).
>
>For click-and-drag (text) it can be done, I normally disable such things (in
>Word etc.) because it always heppens when I don't want it to! Perhaps with a
>combination of modifer keys though.
>
>Copy to paste buffer seems to take the Morph (rather than text), similar to
>"grab" but without the drag/drop.

In the top pane of the debugger, I think it should copy whatever is selected like any normal copy. If the copy morph function is required, it should be renamed to more closely reflect what it does.

>Copy text (in debugger stack trace) give me an arror on 3.9 (gets an array
>of strings that is asked to be asText, hence failing. guess the same for all
>lists).

Works fine on sq3.10.2-7179dev08.08.1.

>Already (IMHO) the menus in Squeak are rather overloaded (not to mention
>there being so many in the firest place). There is, I think, room though for
>a "copy stack trace" next to the "mail out bug report".

"mail out bug report" should be changed to reflect more closely what it does. It does not 'mail out' but only creates an email with the bug report as text.

Thx,
Ken G. Brown