Just another struggling newbie

Chip Nowacek-3
Hello everyone,

While I should have introduced myself before I ran into trouble, it is trouble that has brought me here. I guess I'm glad something provided the excuse to meet you.

First, a short introduction...

I'm really new to Smalltalk. Kent Beck said it's a good choice for my project. Technically, I come from the database architecture world - though I am more entrepreneur now than techie. I'm starting up a new company and Kent suggested building a prototype myself instead of bringing someone else in - so here I am. I'm trying to move from Squeak because Pharo feels a little more developer oriented. We'll see how it goes.

To the matter: I don't understand why I can't accept a change to my comment in one of my classes. When I try to accept in the OB Package Browser, about a dozen calls in, #Utility is being sent #changeStamp and doesn't understand it. I am in the midst of sorting through the stack trying to figure out what happened. As you might imagine, it's a little discouraging for such a basic function to blow up. What makes it worse, I'm probably the cause of the problem - I just don't know what I screwed up. I am working in Pharo 1.1.1 and have loaded Magma and O2 per:

DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace

I created a package for my stuff according to that which I have read so far. Maybe I did that correctly. My classes are in a category within that package.

With introductions complete, I don't intend my future posts to be so long-winded. Thanks for whatever patience you've been able to afford me.

Chip

Re: Just another struggling newbie

Max Leske
Hi Chip. Welcome to the list.

In your working directory (the one the image reside in) there should be a file called "SqueakDebug.log" (or Pharo? not sure.) The stacktrace should have been written to that file. Could you copy the trace and post it? Might help in debugging your issue.

Cheers,
Max

On 09.12.2010, at 15:52, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> While I should have introduced myself before I ran into trouble, it is trouble that has brought me here. I guess I'm glad something provided the excuse to meet you.
>
> First, a short introduction...
>
> I'm really new to Smalltalk. Kent Beck said it's a good choice for my project. Technically, I come from the database architecture world - though I am more entrepreneur now than techie. I'm starting up a new company and Kent suggested building a prototype myself instead of bringing someone else in - so here I am. I'm trying to move from Squeak because Pharo feels a little more developer oriented. We'll see how it goes.
>
> To the matter: I don't understand why I can't accept a change to my comment in one of my classes. When I try to accept in the OB Package Browser, about a dozen calls in, #Utility is being sent #changeStamp and doesn't understand it. I am in the midst of sorting through the stack trying to figure out what happened. As you might imagine, it's a little discouraging for such a basic function to blow up. What makes it worse, I'm probably the cause of the problem - I just don't know what I screwed up. I am working in Pharo 1.1.1 and have loaded Magma and O2 per:
>
> DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace
>
> I created a package for my stuff according to that which I have read so far. Maybe I did that correctly. My classes are in a category within that package.
>
> With introductions complete, I don't intend my future posts to be so long-winded. Thanks for whatever patience you've been able to afford me.
>
> Chip

Re: Just another struggling newbie

Marcus Denker-4

On Dec 9, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

[...]

Hello,

We did not include O2 in the release precisely because it it not yet mature enough... it has lots of nice features and I understand that people want to use it.
But man-power was not there to bring it to a state where all these bugs are fixed.

Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Just another struggling newbie

Henrik Sperre Johansen

Den 09.12.2010 15:52, skrev Chip Nowacek:

> To the matter: I don't understand why I can't accept a change to my
> comment in one of my classes. When I try to accept in the OB Package
> Browser, about a dozen calls in, #Utility is being sent #changeStamp
> and doesn't understand it. I am in the midst of sorting through the
> stack trying to figure out what happened. As you might imagine, it's a
> little discouraging for such a basic function to blow up. What makes
> it worse, I'm probably the cause of the problem - I just don't know
> what I screwed up. I am working in Pharo 1.1.1 and have loaded Magma
> and O2 per:

It seems the O2 tools have not been entirely updated to reflect 1.1
"deprecations" (in quotes since they were moved without leaving stubs
pointing to their new location).

Change Utilities changeStamp to Author changeStamp in the debugger that
pops up, and hit proceed :)

Cheers,
Henry

ps. in such cases, the simplest way to find a solution is usually to
highlight the message (changeStamp in this instance), then either use
alt-m shortcut or right click -> extended search -> implementors of it,
and see which one fits what you attempt to do.
Alternatively ask on the list if none seem to fit :)

Re: Just another struggling newbie

Welcome Chip
Do not hesitate to ask us for help.
Now the state of certain tools is clearly not at the level where we would like them to be (believe me).

Stef