Just bought Dolphin Pro ...

Jen Wu
And now for my first question ... is there a way to add the purchased
license to the downloaded (and now expired) trial copy? Or do I have to
reinstall?

Thanks!

Jen

Re: Just bought Dolphin Pro ...

Ian Bartholomew-18
Jen,

Welcome.

> And now for my first question ... is there a way to add the purchased
> license to the downloaded (and now expired) trial copy? Or do I have
> to reinstall?

Unless OA have some unpublicised trick I don't think there is and you
will have to completely reinstall to unlock the purchased version.  I
can't be more positive however because the OA web site has the following
comment (on the trial download page)

"Important: This process may overwrite your previous trial development
image. If you wish to transfer work from this image you must export it
to packages files which can then be imported into your new image."

The word "may" is the one that has me worried though :-)  I can't see
how you can reinstall _without_ overwriting your current image - unless
it means that you can run a trial and a purchased image in tandem (as
you can run, for example, Dolphin 4 and Dolphin 5 at the same time).

The saving of _any_ work in packages is something that I would recommend
though, never rely on saving the image as a reliable way to work.  There
is a page on the WIKI called "MaintainingAnImage" that it might be worth
reading.

Finally, if you manually retain the *.chg file from your trial version
then you can, with a lot more effort and assuming you haven't done a
"Compress Sources", find and reinstate any changes you made to the trial
version.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Just bought Dolphin Pro ...

Andy Bower-3
Jen,

> > And now for my first question ... is there a way to add the
> > purchased license to the downloaded (and now expired) trial copy?
> > Or do I have to reinstall?
>
> Unless OA have some unpublicised trick I don't think there is and you
> will have to completely reinstall to unlock the purchased version.  I
> can't be more positive however because the OA web site has the
> following comment (on the trial download page)
>
> "Important: This process may overwrite your previous trial development
> image. If you wish to transfer work from this image you must export it
> to packages files which can then be imported into your new image."
>
> The word "may" is the one that has me worried though :-)  I can't see
> how you can reinstall without overwriting your current image - unless
> it means that you can run a trial and a purchased image in tandem (as
> you can run, for example, Dolphin 4 and Dolphin 5 at the same time).
>
> The saving of any work in packages is something that I would recommend
> though, never rely on saving the image as a reliable way to work.
> There is a page on the WIKI called "MaintainingAnImage" that it might
> be worth reading.
>
> Finally, if you manually retain the *.chg file from your trial version
> then you can, with a lot more effort and assuming you haven't done a
> "Compress Sources", find and reinstate any changes you made to the
> trial version.

Ian is right. There is no easy way of upgrading your trial image to a
fully licensed version. This is because, for reasons of security,
certain pieces of source are missing from the trial image.

The best idea is to export your work as packages and then reimport
these into your licensed image. You could try using Ian's chunk browser
to import the old change log but I don't really recommend it (the
idea.. not the chunk browser :))

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support