Just started the language but.....

eddie5659
Hiya

I have just started to learn the language but I have no programming
skills. Following the Dolphin tutorial but have a question that I am
sure you'll all get easily.

It says
 Let's open a ShellView and play around

   w := ShellView new show

When I evaluate it, it says that line 1 : underclared 'w'.

I put |w| at the top and evalutaed it all and it worked.
However, when I went to the next part of the tutorial it opens the
Class Hierarchy and we get the Geometry one but then it says to type

 w position: 0@0

It says the same thing as before...undeclared.

As I say, it is an easy question for you but I would appreciate an
answer.

Thank you in advance

Eddie

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Re: Just started the language but.....

Costas Menico-2
[hidden email] wrote:

It should work.

Try this:

x := Date today.

Position the cursor anywhere on the line (don't highlight anything)
and press CTRL+D. You should see the date. Which version of Dolphin
are you using?

>Hiya
>
>I have just started to learn the language but I have no programming
>skills. Following the Dolphin tutorial but have a question that I am
>sure you'll all get easily.
>
>It says
> Let's open a ShellView and play around
>
>   w := ShellView new show
>
>When I evaluate it, it says that line 1 : underclared 'w'.
>
>I put |w| at the top and evalutaed it all and it worked.
>However, when I went to the next part of the tutorial it opens the
>Class Hierarchy and we get the Geometry one but then it says to type
>
> w position: 0@0
>
>It says the same thing as before...undeclared.
>
>As I say, it is an easy question for you but I would appreciate an
>answer.
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>Eddie
>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

Re: Just started the language but.....

Chris Hayes-2
Hi.
I suspect you're attempting to evaluate the expression within the "System
Transcript" window.  Try using a Workspace window instead (You can open one
by going to "File->New").  Workspace windows automatically define temporary
variables (such as "w" in your example) as they're encountered.  The
Transcript window doesn't provide this behavior.

Chris

<[hidden email]> wrote in message news:93nkqq$sjo$[hidden email]...

> Hiya
>
> I have just started to learn the language but I have no programming
> skills. Following the Dolphin tutorial but have a question that I am
> sure you'll all get easily.
>
> It says
>  Let's open a ShellView and play around
>
>    w := ShellView new show
>
> When I evaluate it, it says that line 1 : underclared 'w'.
>
> I put |w| at the top and evalutaed it all and it worked.
> However, when I went to the next part of the tutorial it opens the
> Class Hierarchy and we get the Geometry one but then it says to type
>
>  w position: 0@0
>
> It says the same thing as before...undeclared.
>
> As I say, it is an easy question for you but I would appreciate an
> answer.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Eddie
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Re: Just started the language but.....

eddie5659
Hiya

Its version 2.1 and thank you, it worked. I knew it must be something
simple but when you just start out its not the thing that pops into
your mind.

Thanks both of you

Eddie

In article <93opar$b10ri$[hidden email]>,
  "Chris Hayes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
> I suspect you're attempting to evaluate the expression within
the "System
> Transcript" window.  Try using a Workspace window instead (You can
open one
> by going to "File->New").  Workspace windows automatically define
temporary
> variables (such as "w" in your example) as they're encountered.  The
> Transcript window doesn't provide this behavior.
>
> Chris
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:93nkqq$sjo$[hidden email]...

> > Hiya
> >
> > I have just started to learn the language but I have no programming
> > skills. Following the Dolphin tutorial but have a question that I am
> > sure you'll all get easily.
> >
> > It says
> >  Let's open a ShellView and play around
> >
> >    w := ShellView new show
> >
> > When I evaluate it, it says that line 1 : underclared 'w'.
> >
> > I put |w| at the top and evalutaed it all and it worked.
> > However, when I went to the next part of the tutorial it opens the
> > Class Hierarchy and we get the Geometry one but then it says to type
> >
> >  w position: 0@0
> >
> > It says the same thing as before...undeclared.
> >
> > As I say, it is an easy question for you but I would appreciate an
> > answer.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > Eddie
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com