Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

Dale Henrichs
Here's the post[1] about Kaliningrad that I've been threatening to publish for a couple of weeks:)

Dale

[1]http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/kaliningrad-developing-with-amber-seaside-and-monticello/

Re: Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

laurent laffont
On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's the post[1] about Kaliningrad that I've been threatening to publish for a couple of weeks:)

Thanks Dale, this is really nice.

Laurent

Dale

[1]http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/kaliningrad-developing-with-amber-seaside-and-monticello/

Re: Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

fstephany
Be careful Dale, people might fall in love with you.

On 09/10/11 02:59, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> Here's the post[1] about Kaliningrad that I've been threatening to publish for a couple of weeks:)
>
> Dale
>
> [1]http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/kaliningrad-developing-with-amber-seaside-and-monticello/

[1]http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/kaliningrad-developing-with-amber-seaside-and-monticello/

Re: Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

Bernat Romagosa
Hi Dale, this is great stuff!

Could you comment a bit on how do you handle communication between the image and Amber? I mean, as a developer, how can I get the server and client to exchange information?

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Kaliningrad: Developing with Amber, Seaside and Monticello

Dale Henrichs
Thanks Bernat,

Right now I am playing with the Seaside-JSON[1] package that Philippe has been working on. It's a Seaside-based package that allows you to render JSON including Seaside-style callbacks, so you can return state + server-side actions. ConfigurationOfSeasideJSON is in the SqueakSource MetacelloRepository.

If you want to peak at what I'm doing take a look at tODE[2]. These three urls bring up tODE (the non-Amber version), the Amber browser, and the Amber version of tODE:

  http://localhost:8080/tools/tODE
  http://localhost:8080/tools/amber-browser
  http://localhost:8080/tools/amber-tODE

The Amber version of tODE is in very early development, I've just got the inspector working (no expressions). Take a look at the two tODE-Amber* packages to see how I'm connecting Amber and the server. For the Amber-side code, look at the tODE-AmberClient in the Amber browser.

One of the (possibly) interesting things that I'm doing is passing a block of Amber Smalltalk from the server to Amber for rendering the objects in Amber ... Right now it's a string, but I think that eventually you will write some Smalltalk in the server that will be shipped as source to Amber for execution ... We'll see what the future brings:)

Dale

[1] http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside31Addons
[2] http://code.google.com/p/tode/