Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
To get the ball moving, I ported one of the keyboard shortcut packages, Keymapping, to Pharo.  Maybe if we start playing with it, we'll see what works and what doesn't, and use it to create something great.

The Metacello configuration is at http://www.squeaksource.com/Keymapping

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Tim Mackinnon
On 2010-08-08 23:52:45 +0100, Sean P. DeNigris said:

> To get the ball moving, I ported one of the keyboard shortcut packages,
> Keymapping, to Pharo.  Maybe if we start playing with it, we'll see what
> works and what doesn't, and use it to create something great.
>
> The Metacello configuration is at http://www.squeaksource.com/Keymapping
>
> Sean

That's awesome - I want to have a look before ESUG (I recall you're
going - so maybe we can get some interest on this), as I'm quite keen
to get some better shortcuts for the more used refactorings (like
extract method, extract temp, inline temp...) - so then the experience
becomes more like using eclipse.

I'm also keen to get some additional keystrokes for things like -
delete line, indent line/selection etc. - so hopefully this can support
that as well.

Tim

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Cool!
Thanks Sean.
I took an evening and look at Keymapper, SVI and KeyBinding based on the image you gave me.
and here are my conclusions
        - SVI seems powerful but too large and complex to me. (this is a complete scriptable editor from what I see)
        - keyBinder was just a morph or too not really what we are looking for
        - keymapper looks the most promising :)

Stef
On Aug 9, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> To get the ball moving, I ported one of the keyboard shortcut packages,
> Keymapping, to Pharo.  Maybe if we start playing with it, we'll see what
> works and what doesn't, and use it to create something great.
>
> The Metacello configuration is at http://www.squeaksource.com/Keymapping
>
> Sean

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I took an evening and look at Keymapper, SVI and KeyBinding based on the image you gave me.
and here are my conclusions
        - SVI seems powerful but too large and complex to me. (this is a complete scriptable editor from what I see)
        - keyBinder was just a morph or too not really what we are looking for
        - keymapper looks the most promising :)
That was my experience, which is why I put keymapping forward.  Although, I thought the ability of KeyBinder to use arbitrary blocks as "shortcuts" was interesting.  And, I *love* VI bindings, so SVI is cool for people like me to install and use, just maybe not suitable for a system package.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads in Pharo core 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 9, 2010, at 4:28 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> I took an evening and look at Keymapper, SVI and KeyBinding based on the
>> image you gave me.
>> and here are my conclusions
>> - SVI seems powerful but too large and complex to me. (this is a complete
>> scriptable editor from what I see)
>> - keyBinder was just a morph or too not really what we are looking for
>> - keymapper looks the most promising :)
>>

> That was my experience, which is why I put keymapping forward.  Although, I
> thought the ability of KeyBinder to use arbitrary blocks as "shortcuts" was
> interesting.  And, I *love* VI bindings, so SVI is cool for people like me
> to install and use, just maybe not suitable for a system package.

I think that an important scenario for the key* library is to support several set of bindings:
        - vi for you
        - emacs + macs mixture for me :)

Stef

On 2010-08-09 17:21:00 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse said:

> I think that an important scenario for the key* library is to support
> several set of bindings:
> - vi for you
> - emacs + macs mixture for me :)

eclipse or intelliJ for me... ;)

Actually having some bindings to other useful items in the browser
(like refactorings and other source code manipulation) would be a big
help even if its just a beginning.

tim

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads inPharo core 1.2

Gary Chambers-4
I'm a mouser myself... though would be good to have the set of keys in one
place, context dependent maybe, but rational.
Pragmas perhaps ;-)

Regards, Gary

On 2010-08-09 17:21:00 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse said:

> I think that an important scenario for the key* library is to support
> several set of bindings:
> - vi for you
> - emacs + macs mixture for me :)

eclipse or intelliJ for me... ;)

Actually having some bindings to other useful items in the browser
(like refactorings and other source code manipulation) would be a big
help even if its just a beginning.

tim

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loads inPharo core 1.2

Guillermo Polito
When I think about context dependent shortcuts, I believe the model of the focused Morph should be the responsible of handling the shortcut...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Mackinnon" <[hidden email]>

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts: Keymapping now loadsinPharo core 1.2

Gary Chambers-4
Possibly, if no model then handled by the morph itself... but via some registered scheme for both.

Regards, Gary