Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

12

Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Bart Gauquie
Dear all,

On my job I'm using Java; and Eclipse as an IDE. I'm discovering Pharo since a year now. I find it in almost every way superior. But not on the following way. I use keyboard shortcuts heavily in Eclipse. I use them to quickly select parts of code, extract methods, rename methods, fields, classes, switch browsing windows, delete a line of code, copy and move lines of code. I tend to miss these shortcuts in Pharo. There are actually a lot of shortcuts (http://news.squeak.org/2007/01/26/looking-for-a-shortcut/ - Andreas comment). But I still find that I have to leave the keyboard way to often and use the mouse to navigate to another window / or part of the browser I'm working in. Let me explain that a bit further. I will try to give some examples of behaviour I'm missing in Pharo.
- If I'm editing a class and working in the source view. I'm done, I want to run the tests again I just ran. I have to take the mouse, navigate to the class and hit Alt-t. Or use the test runner. In Eclipse there is a global shortcut Alt-F11 which just runs the test (or even better: the suite of tests) which ran previously. It moreover runs it in the background and if everything is still ok, does not bother you again. It only pops up if something broke. This behaviour is very handy if you're refactoring. You can then with every small change run all relevant tests in matter seconds and continue.
- If I'm editing in the source pane. I'm done editing, and I want to navigate for instance to another method. I have to take the mouse to navigate to the methods, scroll and click on the new method. Again had to take the mouse. In Eclipse, there is a Ctrl-O shortcut which brings up a list of all methods in this class. At the top there is an input field in which I can start typing; while typing the list is restricted. I can then using the arrow keys navigate to the method and hit Enter, and I'm in the method.
- For switching between browser windows Eclipse also does have a handy mechanism. Eclipse keeps in memory a list of files you're editing ordered by latests usage. I can then quickly navigate through the list by hitting Ctrl-F6. Just hitting Ctrl-F6 navigates to the previous window visited. Hitting it again gets back. If you however hit Ctrl - F6, keep the Ctrl pressed in, and hit F6 again, you navigate the the second last window edited. I use this behaviour constantly to navigate back and forth between the test you're writing and the implementation.
- Eclipse also has very keyboard shortcut integration to select/delete parts of the code. Ctrl D deletes the current line. Alt arrow up / down moves the current line (or selection) up or down (while keeping the clipboard selection). Alt-Shift-arrow up/down copies the current line (or selection) up or down (while keeping the clipboard selection). Alt Shift Left arrow / right arrow does a nifty code selection: if the code compiles properly, it will with every next hit on left arrow select a larger block of code. So if my cursor is on a message send, it will first select the message send, next the receiver and the message send, next: if this was a nested, select the part out of that, and so forth. This is very handy if you for instance want to do a extract method refactoring on some part of the code. Just quickly select it using this Alt-Shift selection and extract it.
- Which brings me to the refactoring shortcuts, which I'm missing the most.
* The most important one is rename. In Eclipse if I select a field, a temporary var,  a message, a class, anything that can be renamed; I can always hit Alt-Shift-R to rename it. I don't have to go into a menu, refactor class, or refactor method, or refactor source with the mouse to select rename. Just click on it, hit the shortcut, type the new name and hit Enter.
* The next one is Extract Method. After quickly selecting I just hit Alt-Shift-M, give a name (Eclipse guesses a name) and I extract.
* Another very useful one is Extract Local Variable using Alt Shift L.

I'm very well aware of the fact that in Smalltalk you typically only need half of the lines of code to achieve the same, but still I'm missing this kind of behaviour to quickly navigate, adapt code, run tests, ...
All the tools are there in Pharo, but I just feel that they need a little better keyboard integration.

How are experienced Smalltalkers feeling about this?

Are there any solutions available already that I haven't found ? If not, I'm more than happy to implement some of these, but my knowledge of Morphic is still rather limited. Can anyone provide me with some pointers how to achieve that?

Kind Regards,

Bart

--
imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - Albert Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Lukas Renggli
> [snip]

Yeah, I agree on all ;-)

> will with every next hit on left arrow select a larger block of code. So if
> my cursor is on a message send, it will first select the message send, next
> the receiver and the message send, next: if this was a nested, select the
> part out of that, and so forth. This is very handy if you for instance want
> to do a extract method refactoring on some part of the code. Just quickly
> select it using this Alt-Shift selection and extract it.

That's a cool idea. I will add it to the refactoring tools.

> - Which brings me to the refactoring shortcuts, which I'm missing the most.
> * The most important one is rename. In Eclipse if I select a field, a
> temporary var,  a message, a class, anything that can be renamed; I can
> always hit Alt-Shift-R to rename it. I don't have to go into a menu,
> refactor class, or refactor method, or refactor source with the mouse to
> select rename. Just click on it, hit the shortcut, type the new name and hit
> Enter.

The problem is that Pharo already binds all possible keyboard
shortcuts to something, which leaves no space for other tools like the
refactoring engine.

> How are experienced Smalltalkers feeling about this?

Safara was an attempt to implement a replacement for the current text
editor, where nothing was hardcoded but everything could be configured
by the tool (highlighting, completing, shortcuts, ...). Unfortunately
this project never made it into a useable state. Writing a text editor
is difficult.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Bart Gauquie

The problem is that Pharo already binds all possible keyboard
shortcuts to something, which leaves no space for other tools like the
refactoring engine.

Is it not possible to throw away some of the shortcuts defined? I'd rather have a limited set of shortcuts which are used often, than defining a lot which are almost never used. I noticed for instance in the list that there is a shortcut Ctrl+T which inserts ifTrue:[] ; to my humble opinion, that is way to specific; and I'm not sure anybody is using this one. I'd rather use Ctrl-T then to open a new Type (class) or something.

Another one is Alt - t pressed no the world view to 'find a transcript'. Is it not better then to find a way to quickly navigate between windows in general, so for instance, hit a shortcut anywhere, you get a list of all windows, and by just typing t for Transcript, and hit Enter, you are already in the transcript window.

Kind Regards,

Bart

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Adrian Lienhard
I agree, the current key bindings could be improved... We would need
somebody that thinks this through and makes a proposal, find a
consensus, and implement it.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Dec 11, 2009, at 09:05 , Bart Gauquie wrote:

>> The problem is that Pharo already binds all possible keyboard
>> shortcuts to something, which leaves no space for other tools like
>> the
>> refactoring engine.
>>

> Is it not possible to throw away some of the shortcuts defined? I'd
> rather
> have a limited set of shortcuts which are used often, than defining
> a lot
> which are almost never used. I noticed for instance in the list that
> there
> is a shortcut Ctrl+T which inserts ifTrue:[] ; to my humble opinion,
> that is
> way to specific; and I'm not sure anybody is using this one. I'd
> rather use
> Ctrl-T then to open a new Type (class) or something.
>
> Another one is Alt - t pressed no the world view to 'find a
> transcript'. Is
> it not better then to find a way to quickly navigate between windows
> in
> general, so for instance, hit a shortcut anywhere, you get a list of
> all
> windows, and by just typing t for Transcript, and hit Enter, you are
> already
> in the transcript window.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Bart

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Bart

on my radar I would like migrate one of the keybinding package of old squeak
        Keymapper or Keybinding. I would like to have emacs like short cuts..... (yeah ctrl-e ctrl-a....
If you want to have a look and see

> Dear all,
>
> On my job I'm using Java; and Eclipse as an IDE. I'm discovering Pharo since a year now. I find it in almost every way superior. But not on the following way. I use keyboard shortcuts heavily in Eclipse. I use them to quickly select parts of code, extract methods, rename methods, fields, classes, switch browsing windows, delete a line of code, copy and move lines of code. I tend to miss these shortcuts in Pharo.

Me too :)

> There are actually a lot of shortcuts (http://news.squeak.org/2007/01/26/looking-for-a-shortcut/ - Andreas comment). But I still find that I have to leave the keyboard way to often and use the mouse to navigate to another window / or part of the browser I'm working in. Let me explain that a bit further. I will try to give some examples of behaviour I'm missing in Pharo.
> - If I'm editing a class and working in the source view. I'm done, I want to run the tests again I just ran. I have to take the mouse, navigate to the class and hit Alt-t. Or use the test runner. In Eclipse there is a global shortcut Alt-F11 which just runs the test (or even better: the suite of tests) which ran previously. It moreover runs it in the background and if everything is still ok, does not bother you again. It only pops up if something broke. This behaviour is very handy if you're refactoring. You can then with every small change run all relevant tests in matter seconds and continue.

I want that :)

> - If I'm editing in the source pane. I'm done editing, and I want to navigate for instance to another method. I have to take the mouse to navigate to the methods, scroll and click on the new method. Again had to take the mouse. In Eclipse, there is a Ctrl-O shortcut which brings up a list of all methods in this class. At the top there is an input field in which I can start typing; while typing the list is restricted. I can then using the arrow keys navigate to the method and hit Enter, and I'm in the method.
> - For switching between browser windows Eclipse also does have a handy mechanism. Eclipse keeps in memory a list of files you're editing ordered by latests usage. I can then quickly navigate through the list by hitting Ctrl-F6. Just hitting Ctrl-F6 navigates to the previous window visited. Hitting it again gets back. If you however hit Ctrl - F6, keep the Ctrl pressed in, and hit F6 again, you navigate the the second last window edited. I use this behaviour constantly to navigate back and forth between the test you're writing and the implementation.

This is nice.

> - Eclipse also has very keyboard shortcut integration to select/delete parts of the code. Ctrl D deletes the current line. Alt arrow up / down moves the current line (or selection) up or down (while keeping the clipboard selection). Alt-Shift-arrow up/down copies the current line (or selection) up or down (while keeping the clipboard selection). Alt Shift Left arrow / right arrow does a nifty code selection: if the code compiles properly, it will with every next hit on left arrow select a larger block of code. So if my cursor is on a message send, it will first select the message send, next the receiver and the message send, next: if this was a nested, select the part out of that, and so forth. This is very handy if you for instance want to do a extract method refactoring on some part of the code. Just quickly select it using this Alt-Shift selection and extract it.
> - Which brings me to the refactoring shortcuts, which I'm missing the most.
> * The most important one is rename. In Eclipse if I select a field, a temporary var,  a message, a class, anything that can be renamed; I can always hit Alt-Shift-R to rename it. I don't have to go into a menu, refactor class, or refactor method, or refactor source with the mouse to select rename. Just click on it, hit the shortcut, type the new name and hit Enter.
> * The next one is Extract Method. After quickly selecting I just hit Alt-Shift-M, give a name (Eclipse guesses a name) and I extract.
> * Another very useful one is Extract Local Variable using Alt Shift L.
>
> I'm very well aware of the fact that in Smalltalk you typically only need half of the lines of code to achieve the same, but still I'm missing this kind of behaviour to quickly navigate, adapt code, run tests, ...
> All the tools are there in Pharo, but I just feel that they need a little better keyboard integration.
> How are experienced Smalltalkers feeling about this?

We want that!
I hate to be forced to use mouse. We should reinvent code editing.

On Dec 11, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> [snip]
>
> Yeah, I agree on all ;-)
>
>> will with every next hit on left arrow select a larger block of code. So if
>> my cursor is on a message send, it will first select the message send, next
>> the receiver and the message send, next: if this was a nested, select the
>> part out of that, and so forth. This is very handy if you for instance want
>> to do a extract method refactoring on some part of the code. Just quickly
>> select it using this Alt-Shift selection and extract it.
>
> That's a cool idea. I will add it to the refactoring tools.
>
>> - Which brings me to the refactoring shortcuts, which I'm missing the most.
>> * The most important one is rename. In Eclipse if I select a field, a
>> temporary var,  a message, a class, anything that can be renamed; I can
>> always hit Alt-Shift-R to rename it. I don't have to go into a menu,
>> refactor class, or refactor method, or refactor source with the mouse to
>> select rename. Just click on it, hit the shortcut, type the new name and hit
>> Enter.
>
> The problem is that Pharo already binds all possible keyboard
> shortcuts to something, which leaves no space for other tools like the
> refactoring engine.

We should really clean that.

>> How are experienced Smalltalkers feeling about this?
>
> Safara was an attempt to implement a replacement for the current text
> editor, where nothing was hardcoded but everything could be configured
> by the tool (highlighting, completing, shortcuts, ...). Unfortunately
> this project never made it into a useable state. Writing a text editor
> is difficult.

We should have a look at the trunk/Squeak integration of TextEditor from CUIS because this would
be good to integrate it.

On Dec 11, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Bart Gauquie wrote:

> The problem is that Pharo already binds all possible keyboard
> shortcuts to something, which leaves no space for other tools like the
> refactoring engine.
>
> Is it not possible to throw away some of the shortcuts defined? I'd rather have a limited set of shortcuts which are used often, than defining a lot which are almost never used. I noticed for instance in the list that there is a shortcut Ctrl+T which inserts ifTrue:[] ; to my humble opinion, that is way to specific; and I'm not sure anybody is using this one. I'd rather use Ctrl-T then to open a new Type (class) or something.
>
> Another one is Alt - t pressed no the world view to 'find a transcript'. Is it not better then to find a way to quickly navigate between windows in general, so for instance, hit a shortcut anywhere, you get a list of all windows, and by just typing t for Transcript, and hit Enter, you are already in the transcript window.

We should really have an overview and see what we can do.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Bart

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

csrabak
Em 11/12/2009 05:44, Lukas Renggli < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> > [snip]
>  Yeah, I agree on all ;-)
>
> > will with  every next hit on  left arrow select a  larger block of
> > code. So if  my cursor is on a message send,  it will first select
> > the message send, next the receiver and the message send, next: if
> > this was a nested, select the part out of that, and so forth. This
> > is very  handy if  you for  instance want to  do a  extract method
> > refactoring on some part of the code. Just quickly select it using
> > this Alt-Shift selection and extract it.
>  That's a cool idea. I will add it to the refactoring tools.
+1

> > - Which brings me to  the refactoring shortcuts, which I'm missing
> > the most.   * The most  important one is  rename. In Eclipse  if I
> > select a field, a temporary var, a message, a class, anything that
> > can be renamed; I can always hit Alt-Shift-R to rename it. I don't
> > have to  go into  a menu, refactor  class, or refactor  method, or
> > refactor source with the mouse to select rename. Just click on it,
> > hit the shortcut, type the new name and hit Enter.
>  The  problem is  that  Pharo already  binds  all possible  keyboard
> shortcuts to something,  which leaves no space for  other tools like
> the refactoring engine.

I think we could have some leeway if we give  up to the present double
mapping of some  short cuts that accept the Alt and Cmd prefixes to do
the same thing (at least in Windows is worse than that because sometimes
this double mapping works sometimes does not.

>  > How are experienced Smalltalkers feeling about this?
>  Safara was  an attempt to  implement a replacement for  the current
> text  editor, where nothing  was hardcoded  but everything  could be
> configured  by   the  tool  (highlighting,   completing,  shortcuts,
> ...).  Unfortunately  this project  never  made  it  into a  useable
> state. Writing a text editor is difficult.

Besides, I  _think_ putting a completely reconfigurable environment in
Pharo's  toolset  will create  the anxiety  of the "paradox of choice"
without bringing  too much added value.  We already  have lot of 'fun'
having do spread remarks all over the documentation about the
appeareance of the tools and  still have a half baked solution for the
naming of mouse buttons, imagine the added complexity of having to all
the time have to put remarks on keyboard shorcuts!!

Em 11/12/2009 08:02, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

>  Dec 11, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Bart Gauquie wrote:
>
>  The  problem is  that  Pharo already  binds  all possible  keyboard
> shortcuts to something,  which leaves no space for  other tools like
> the refactoring engine.
>  Is it not possible to throw away some of the shortcuts defined? I'd
> rather have  a limited set of  shortcuts which are  used often, than
> defining a lot  which are almost never used.  I noticed for instance
> in the list that there  is a shortcut Ctrl+T which inserts ifTrue:[]
> ; to  my humble opinion, that is  way to specific; and  I'm not sure
> anybody is using this one. I'd  rather use Ctrl-T then to open a new
> Type (class) or something.

Ctrl+Shift+T and Ctrl+Shift+F are nice shorcuts that I vote for
staying ;-).  Also I would vote for a similar to VW's Ctrl+g for
inserting the := sign now that we deprecated for good the undescore.

>  Another  one is  Alt  - t  pressed no  the  world view  to 'find  a
> transcript'. Is it not better then to find a way to quickly navigate
> between  windows  in  general,  so  for  instance,  hit  a  shortcut
> anywhere, you  get a list of all  windows, and by just  typing t for
> Transcript, and hit Enter, you are already in the transcript window.

This is weird, because in some of my images I'm positive that a certain
key combination makes a kind of 'round robbin' of open windows. . .

>  should really have an overview and see what we can do.

Positively.

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Bart Gauquie
All,

Looking at all the responses, it looks to me we should do the following things:
  • Check at the list (http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-December/017196.html) of shortcuts Mariano Martinez Peck already provided. Put it on the wiki as a WorkInProgress. See which ones are still valid, see which ones can be removed, ...
  • Create a wiki document which outlines the changes we want to make to the window changing, code selecting, refactoring behaviour I suggested. I take the liberty to humbly suggest my initial list of behaviour as a starting point for this?
  • Point out who is doing what ...

I'm not sure how new enhancements are discussed on this list. My suggestion is to create a wiki document which serves as a working document, and so always displays the latest up to date info. Discussions about it are done on the mailing list and decisions 'committed' to this doc.

I'll be happy to create this pages, but don't seem to have the rights to create a new page on the wiki.

Kind Regards,

Bart
--
imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - Albert Einstein
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert Einstein
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Dec 13, 2009, at 4:58 AM, Bart Gauquie wrote:

> All,
>
> Looking at all the responses, it looks to me we should do the following things:
> • Check at the list (http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-December/017196.html) of shortcuts Mariano Martinez Peck already provided. Put it on the wiki as a WorkInProgress. See which ones are still valid, see which ones can be removed, ...
> • Create a wiki document which outlines the changes we want to make to the window changing, code selecting, refactoring behaviour I suggested. I take the liberty to humbly suggest my initial list of behaviour as a starting point for this?
> • Point out who is doing what ...
> I'm not sure how new enhancements are discussed on this list. My suggestion is to create a wiki document which serves as a working document, and so always displays the latest up to date info. Discussions about it are done on the mailing list and decisions 'committed' to this doc.

Yes something like that.
Now I was suggesting to invest into a way to change keybinding because not all the texteditor should have all the shortcuts.

> I'll be happy to create this pages, but don't seem to have the rights to create a new page on the wiki.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bart
> --
> imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - Albert Einstein
> Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
> The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert Einstein
> Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Bart,

This sounds like a good plan!

I added you as a project committer, which should give you write access
to the wiki.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Dec 13, 2009, at 04:58 , Bart Gauquie wrote:

> All,
>
> Looking at all the responses, it looks to me we should do the
> following
> things:
>
>   - Check at the list (
>   http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-December/017196.html)
>   of shortcuts Mariano Martinez Peck already provided. Put it on the
> wiki as a
>   WorkInProgress. See which ones are still valid, see which ones can
> be
>   removed, ...
>   - Create a wiki document which outlines the changes we want to
> make to
>   the window changing, code selecting, refactoring behaviour I
> suggested. I
>   take the liberty to humbly suggest my initial list of behaviour as a
>   starting point for this?
>   - Point out who is doing what ...
>
> I'm not sure how new enhancements are discussed on this list. My
> suggestion
> is to create a wiki document which serves as a working document, and
> so
> always displays the latest up to date info. Discussions about it are
> done on
> the mailing list and decisions 'committed' to this doc.
> I'll be happy to create this pages, but don't seem to have the
> rights to
> create a new page on the wiki.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bart
> --
> imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
> Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere -
> Albert Einstein
> Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The
> important thing
> is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
> The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. -
> Albert
> Einstein
> Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert
> Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/12/13 Bart Gauquie <[hidden email]>
[...]

Yes, this could be a good little first step.

I'll be happy to create this pages, but don't seem to have the rights to create a new page on the wiki.

Kind Regards,

Bart
--
imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - Albert Einstein
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert Einstein
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

csrabak
Em 13/12/2009 11:11, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Thinking aloud, I wonder if isn't better to have the 'feature' of
duplicateAllControlAndAltKeys its sibbling duplicateSomeControlAndAltKeys
removed and have only the Alt prefix for the Pharo related operations?

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Benjamin Pollack
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Safara was an attempt to implement a replacement for the current text
editor, where nothing was hardcoded but everything could be configured
by the tool (highlighting, completing, shortcuts, ...). Unfortunately
this project never made it into a useable state. Writing a text editor
is difficult.

I hadn't heard of Safara, but SVI (http://map.squeak.org/package/ab5ae6be-b705-40a2-8d63-a992442086ec) is (in my opinion) a very successful attempt at modernizing the editor.  It comes with vim- and Emacs-like keybindings, which include shortcuts for selecting and navigating through blocks, paren groups, messages and the like--exactly what we're talking about here.  It doesn't run on Pharo or trunk Squeak, but it worked just fine in heavy use for me on Squeak ~3.6 through 3.9.  I don't have the time to make it run on Pharo right now, but I doubt someone with sufficient motivation would have that much of a problem getting it running comfortably.  If I recall correctly, the main effort was going to be updating the OmniBrowser integration.

--Benjamin

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Bart Gauquie
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for adding me. I will try to write something during the week.

Kind Regards,

Bart

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Albert
> Einstein
> Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert
> Einstein

imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere - Albert Einstein
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. - Albert Einstein
Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. - Albert Einstein

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

Lukas Renggli
> I hadn't heard of Safara, but SVI
> (http://map.squeak.org/package/ab5ae6be-b705-40a2-8d63-a992442086ec) is (in
> my opinion) a very successful attempt at modernizing the editor.

It is a hack on top of the Pluggable Morphic editor, that is a hack on
top of the Morphic editor, that is a hack on top of the MVC editor,
that is a hack on top of the original Smalltalk-80 editor. No joke.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts in Pharo?

thanks for the pointer.
Note also that we should get the textEditor done in CUIS and integrated in squeak.

Stef

On Dec 13, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Benjamin Pollack wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Safara was an attempt to implement a replacement for the current text
> editor, where nothing was hardcoded but everything could be configured
> by the tool (highlighting, completing, shortcuts, ...). Unfortunately
> this project never made it into a useable state. Writing a text editor
> is difficult.
>

> I hadn't heard of Safara, but SVI (http://map.squeak.org/package/ab5ae6be-b705-40a2-8d63-a992442086ec) is (in my opinion) a very successful attempt at modernizing the editor.  It comes with vim- and Emacs-like keybindings, which include shortcuts for selecting and navigating through blocks, paren groups, messages and the like--exactly what we're talking about here.  It doesn't run on Pharo or trunk Squeak, but it worked just fine in heavy use for me on Squeak ~3.6 through 3.9.  I don't have the time to make it run on Pharo right now, but I doubt someone with sufficient motivation would have that much of a problem getting it running comfortably.  If I recall correctly, the main effort was going to be updating the OmniBrowser integration.
>
> --Benjamin
12