Keymapping - What is the Status

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I haven't heard anything lately...

Specifically:
* What, if anything, remains to be done?
* Are shortcuts now customizable per-user?

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Keymapping - What is the Status

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Oh, and are the answers different for 1.4 and 2.0?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Keymapping - What is the Status

Guillermo Polito
Je, I've been busy lately with other important things :P.  So...

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't heard anything lately...

Specifically:
* What, if anything, remains to be done?

Ah, there's always a lot to be done :).
Current status: today Keymapping is mainly used by
- Spotlight
- and Nautilus is really making use of it. (load 2.0 and look at the new shortcuts for example).

So, with the 1.4 introduction of Spotlight, the Keymappings framework is introduced in the image by default.  The same happened already in 2.0 some months ago.

What can be done:
 - One path that should be walked is to start migrating the morphic overrides of #keyStroke: that are clearly shortcuts to Keymapping declarative shortcuts.  But as the build is not green yet, and I want to kill SystemChangeNotifier before, and working on the bootstrap (in some new hacky cool stuff) I'm out of time :).

- kill some ugly things in the vm keyboard handling :).

- I want to play with the idea of having shortcut sets.  That is not so difficult with the current implementation, but some ideas appear like, having shortcuts inheritance between sets.

and I've more in the list...

* Are shortcuts now customizable per-user?

He, there is a package that integrates keymappings with the settings framework (Keymapping-Settings), but there are not yet shortcuts configured to use it. It adds a morph that catches keyboard input and lets you customize the shortcuts. This morph is not 100% good from the usability point of view.
If you want to have a look at examples, you have the Keymapping-Debugger package from http://www.squeaksource.com/ShortWays . Which adds some (ugly) shortcuts for the debugger: step in, step out...  And Philippe added the configurations to let them be seen by the settings framework.

If you want to help, I appreciate it :P :).

Guille

Thanks.
Sean