KnownLands: a Class dependency explorer

12

Re: KnownLands: a Class dependency explorer

Alexandre Bergel
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> Why?
> Because you can script your visualization and try all kind of them.
> Mondrian a visualisation engine.
> Soon with lumiere developed by fernando you will be able to script 3d
> objects.
>
> Because the tools I'm working on are more geared more towards live
> editing of classes and object method dictionaries than modeling and
> visualization.

Mondrian provide advanced facilities for interaction. You can easily
switch from one few to another, update the view after having selected
an action.

>  For example, if a circle represents a class's method dictionary,
> you can right click on it to see the list of messages associated
> with its CompiledMethods.  Then you can right click on any of the
> CompiledMethods to bring up an editor, and alter the contents of the
> method, recompile, and the relationships will change accordingly.
> Similarly, you can reorganize methods by dragging and dropping them
> into different classes, etc.

dragging and dropping is currently not supported. Maybe this is a
stopper.

> The design and structure of Mondrian makes it terribly difficult to
> produce that sort of interface without doing as much work as it
> would to just write it from scratch :)

There is a lack of documentation, for sure.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: KnownLands: a Class dependency explorer

I would really to see that.

Recently I was thinking that I would like to have a "daisy" browser

        one code pane in the middle and around Large icons for sender,
implementer .. results.

On Jul 21, 2009, at 5:17 PM, David Goehrig wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> Fernando told me that he wants to program in 3d its objects/class so I
> imagine that what you want is
> the "same" looking at browsing coding in a different way.
>
> Pretty much along those lines yes.  What I'm working on is building
> the sorts of systems that work well for programming "in the round"
> where you cover the walls of your meeting room with projectors, and
> multiple groups of people can directly collaborate on code, test it,
> and run it right there.  The classic code browser approach doesn't
> lend itself to multiple people editing and manipulating the code at
> the same time, it is designed for a single user on a screen with
> limited real estate.
>
> The other issue is that the browser environment hides too much
> complexity, and so it doesn't scale up when you can use gigantic
> displays with infinite virtual space.  I've done 2 initial versions
> of the interface in Javascript and Forth, and am working on porting
> the environment to Pharo.   I think Pharo Smalltalk + a new editor
> designed for tele-team programming would be a very compelling
> platform for a lot of distributed projects.  The past few years,
> every project I've consulted for involved programmers in at least 5
> time zones. Our tools really need to better reflect that reality. :)
>
> Dave
12