Kom or Swazoo?

Chris Muller-3
Installing Seaside 3.1.1 into Squeak does not install a necessary
WAServerAdaptor subclass.

Zinc is Pharo only right?  So I guess my choices are Kom or Swazoo?  I
need to research how to install either but does anyone know whether
either has an inherent advantage over the other?  What are their
differences?

Thanks.

PS -- During my brief investigation so far I noticed -- of the 7
Smalltalk's listed at http://www.seaside.st/download, the only one
which is a broken link is Squeak..

Re: Kom or Swazoo?

John McKeon
Andreas' WebClient works quite well in Squeak also. There is a configuration for it somewhere as well.
The only problem it has is that WebClient-Seaside has code in it that refernces the OmniBrowser based Seaside control panel. Moving the one offending class to another package would fix that. I would do it if i had rights to the repo...

John

On Thursday, June 12, 2014, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Installing Seaside 3.1.1 into Squeak does not install a necessary
WAServerAdaptor subclass.

Zinc is Pharo only right?  So I guess my choices are Kom or Swazoo?  I
need to research how to install either but does anyone know whether
either has an inherent advantage over the other?  What are their
differences?

Thanks.

PS -- During my brief investigation so far I noticed -- of the 7
Smalltalk's listed at http://www.seaside.st/download, the only one
which is a broken link is Squeak..

jmck.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] Kom or Swazoo?

Chris Muller-3
> You're forgetting WebClient, which I'd say is the one you ought to use.

I didn't forget about WebClient, I just forgot that Kom and Swazoo are
nothing more than HTTP servers.  I thought they wrapped an HTTP server
to do more than that.  Duh!  I've been out of web for too long..

So, yes, WebClient is definitely the one to use with Squeak.

> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/
>
> You can see in this Tobias Pape built Seaside image the GUI tool that allows
> you to choose which server to use. An example of WebClient in use is there.

Tobias, that's a great image.  I'd like to get one for 3.1.1.  I tried
a couple of tweaks to your script inside the workspace in the image,
but got only as far as ConfigurationOfMagritte3AddOns when it said:

"Warning: This package depends on the following classes:
  JSJsonParser
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these definitions:
  MJJsonParser
  MJJsonParser class>>onStream:for:
  MJJsonParser class>>parse:for:
  MJJsonParser>>addProperty:to:
  MJJsonParser>>createObject
  MJJsonParser>>descriptionFor:of:
  MJJsonParser>>initializeOnStream:for:
  MJJsonParser>>parseProperty
  MJJsonParser>>pushDescription:during:
"

Using the sections of your original Metacello script, and a simple
dependency check, I would like to make a separate entry for each of
these layers in SqueakMap so one can very easily assemble whatever
combination they want (e.g., with or without Parasol, or
TwitterBootstrap).

And you know I would like to have this be a totally "locked down,"
immutable version and not the "latest" stable or anything because
Seaside is only consumed, not developed, on Squeak and I want it to
work even 5 years from now in 4.5.

Can you help me out?  Thanks!

> That link is there at all, I think, because on this list Seaside - general
> discussion I asked for it to be added. If I recall correctly Julian Fitzell
> added it, so it was a few years ago.

Thanks for that Chris.  Unfortunately it became invalid when the new
squeak.org site went in.  Seaside is important enough if for no other
than what Andre Agassi says, could you possibly put whatever content
we had at that link before?  Then people will know how to make Seaside
run on Squeak too.  Thanks!

Re: Kom or Swazoo?

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
I don't know if streaming uploads with Zinc is supported so I go Kom

but I'm happy with zinc for projects that don't require uploads like that

sebastian

o/

> On 12/06/2014, at 17:27, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Installing Seaside 3.1.1 into Squeak does not install a necessary
> WAServerAdaptor subclass.
>
> Zinc is Pharo only right?  So I guess my choices are Kom or Swazoo?  I
> need to research how to install either but does anyone know whether
> either has an inherent advantage over the other?  What are their
> differences?
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS -- During my brief investigation so far I noticed -- of the 7
> Smalltalk's listed at http://www.seaside.st/download, the only one
> which is a broken link is Squeak..

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Seaside] Kom or Swazoo?

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 06:35:18PM -0400, John McKeon wrote:
> Andreas' WebClient works quite well in Squeak also. There is a
> configuration for it somewhere as well.
> The only problem it has is that WebClient-Seaside has code in it that
> refernces the OmniBrowser based Seaside control panel. Moving the one
> offending class to another package would fix that. I would do it if i had
> rights to the repo...

John,

I think that you can ask one of the repository administrators for access.
Andreas' original work is on squeaksource.com, and the active repository is
now at http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/WebClient.html. I'm sure that Tobias Pape
or one of the others listed there will be happy to help.

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] Kom or Swazoo?

Tobias Pape

On 13.06.2014, at 03:13, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> You're forgetting WebClient, which I'd say is the one you ought to use.
>
> I didn't forget about WebClient, I just forgot that Kom and Swazoo are
> nothing more than HTTP servers.  I thought they wrapped an HTTP server
> to do more than that.  Duh!  I've been out of web for too long..
>
> So, yes, WebClient is definitely the one to use with Squeak.
>
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/
>>
>> You can see in this Tobias Pape built Seaside image the GUI tool that allows
>> you to choose which server to use. An example of WebClient in use is there.
>
> Tobias, that's a great image.  I'd like to get one for 3.1.1.  I tried
> a couple of tweaks to your script inside the workspace in the image,
> but got only as far as ConfigurationOfMagritte3AddOns when it said:
>
> "Warning: This package depends on the following classes:
>  JSJsonParser
> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
> these definitions:
>  MJJsonParser
>  MJJsonParser class>>onStream:for:
>  MJJsonParser class>>parse:for:
>  MJJsonParser>>addProperty:to:
>  MJJsonParser>>createObject
>  MJJsonParser>>descriptionFor:of:
>  MJJsonParser>>initializeOnStream:for:
>  MJJsonParser>>parseProperty
>  MJJsonParser>>pushDescription:during:
> "
>
> Using the sections of your original Metacello script, and a simple
> dependency check, I would like to make a separate entry for each of
> these layers in SqueakMap so one can very easily assemble whatever
> combination they want (e.g., with or without Parasol, or
> TwitterBootstrap).
>
> And you know I would like to have this be a totally "locked down,"
> immutable version and not the "latest" stable or anything because
> Seaside is only consumed, not developed, on Squeak and I want it to
> work even 5 years from now in 4.5.
>
> Can you help me out?  Thanks!
I will.
But please poke me next week, this week is full, unfortunately.

>> That link is there at all, I think, because on this list Seaside - general
>> discussion I asked for it to be added. If I recall correctly Julian Fitzell
>> added it, so it was a few years ago.
>
> Thanks for that Chris.  Unfortunately it became invalid when the new
> squeak.org site went in.  Seaside is important enough if for no other
> than what Andre Agassi says, could you possibly put whatever content
> we had at that link before?  Then people will know how to make Seaside
> run on Squeak too.  Thanks!

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] Kom or Swazoo?

Tobias Pape

On 13.06.2014, at 03:21, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I guess Seaside requires OmniBrowser anyway, doesn't it?

Only for the seaside control panel.
We could substitute that for a Toolbuilder written one, I presume,
so nothing in seaside would require OB anymore[1].

Best
        -Tobias

[1]: To my knowledge, the Pharo Seaside CP does not use OB anymore, either.

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] Kom or Swazoo?

Johan Brichau-2

I added user 'JohnKen' to the Seaside team.

If you contribute, please send a small note to the seaside-dev mailinglist.

cheers
Johan

On 13 Jun 2014, at 04:05, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 06:35:18PM -0400, John McKeon wrote:
>> Andreas' WebClient works quite well in Squeak also. There is a
>> configuration for it somewhere as well.
>> The only problem it has is that WebClient-Seaside has code in it that
>> refernces the OmniBrowser based Seaside control panel. Moving the one
>> offending class to another package would fix that. I would do it if i had
>> rights to the repo...
>
> John,
>
> I think that you can ask one of the repository administrators for access.
> Andreas' original work is on squeaksource.com, and the active repository is
> now at http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/WebClient.html. I'm sure that Tobias Pape
> or one of the others listed there will be happy to help.
>
> Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] [Seaside] Kom or Swazoo?

Philippe Marschall
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13.06.2014, at 03:21, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well, I guess Seaside requires OmniBrowser anyway, doesn't it?
>
> Only for the seaside control panel.
> We could substitute that for a Toolbuilder written one, I presume,
> so nothing in seaside would require OB anymore[1].

Yes, we don't load OB in Pharo 2+ and have a partially working Spec
based control panel.

Cheers
Philippe

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added user 'JohnKen' to the Seaside team.

WebClient-Seaside is not in the Seaside repository but in the
WebClient repository.

Cheers
Philippe

On 13.06.2014, at 11:02, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I added user 'JohnKen' to the Seaside team.
>
> WebClient-Seaside is not in the Seaside repository but in the
> WebClient repository.

Correct, its (new-ish) home is

        http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/WebClient.html

I temporarily assumed adminship of this repo,
but Ron Teitelbaum is the right person to ask for commit rights.
Ron?

Best
        -Tobias