LDAP -- for VW ...

Dennis smith-4
Anyone know if there is, or is planned to be, LDAP support for VW?

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: LDAP -- for VW ...

Bruce Badger
On 10/07/06, Dennis Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know if there is, or is planned to be, LDAP support for VW?

Well, I'm working on LDAP right at the moment.

OpenSkills needs an LDAP server, so my focus is getting an LDAP server
running in VisualWorks and GemStone.  The same protocol elements are
used for both clients and servers, so a client should be possible
using the work we are doing.

It's quite early days yet, so there is nothing usable you can pick up.
 The project is calles Slaps, BTW, and uses the same undelrying socket
mechanisms that Hyper now uses, and is portable thanks to Sport.

Once I something interesting working, I'll post to cls.

All the best,
   Bruce
http://www.openskills.org/

Re: LDAP -- for VW ...

Dennis smith-4
Thanks.

Is anyone surprised that cincom is not working on LDAP??  (we all know
they have
infinite resources :) -- sorry james :( )  -- curious about plans though??

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: LDAP -- for VW ...

Reinout Heeck-2
Dennis Smith wrote:
> Anyone know if there is, or is planned to be, LDAP support for VW?

Thomas Gagne has worked on ldap in the past:

http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/articles/OpenLDAP/
http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/articles/OpenLDAP/api.shtml

hth,

Reinout
-------

Re: LDAP -- for VW ...

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Dennis,

There is a LDAP client implementation in the Contributed/Goodies.   I am
not sure how robust it is.  I tried it once about 3 years ago, and
managed to make it work.

As far as Cincom resources - I think that their stock answer probably
would be: "it is not something that our users want/need"  ( it is always
fun to poke at the vendor, isn't it )

here is the LDAP licensing:

LDAP software development kit for Smalltalk
Acknowledgments:

Class Base64MimeConverter was written By Ted Kaehler, based on Tim
Olson`s Base64Filter.
Classes LDAPBindPanel, LDAPBrowser, and LDAPSchemaBrowser were written
by Matt Rosen.
All other classes are based on Java equivalents from the Netscape Java
LDAP SDK. The Netscape Java LDAP SDK is covered by the Mozilla Public
License:
* The contents of file 'LDAP.pst', except as noted above, is subject to the
* Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 (the "MPL");
* you may not use this file except in
* compliance with the MPL. You may obtain a copy of the MPL at
* http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/
*
* Software distributed under the MPL is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
* WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the MPL
* for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
* NPL.
*
* The Initial Developer of this code under the MPL is Netscape
* Communications Corporation. Portions created by Netscape are
* Copyright (C) 1998 Netscape Communications Corporation. All Rights
* Reserved.
* Contributors:

Port from Java LDAP SDK by Matt Rosen

Questions can be addressed to [hidden email]