LaTeX users: favorite editor??

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I looked at the PBE page again and noticed a link to the LaTeX sources for the book, which lead me to wonder what editor you use?  I recently found TeX Maker, and generally like it. My one complaint is that (so far at least) I have found no analog to texify, which (part of MikTeX) would do everything required to update a document.  While that might be painful for "quick" edits to a book, it's great for shorter documents or to ensure that the toc, references, etc. are up to date.

Bill

Re: LaTeX users: favorite editor??

Andrey Larionov
I use Kile for Linux. And LiveTeX distribution

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 22:39, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I looked at the PBE page again and noticed a link to the LaTeX sources for the book, which lead me to wonder what editor you use?  I recently found TeX Maker, and generally like it. My one complaint is that (so far at least) I have found no analog to texify, which (part of MikTeX) would do everything required to update a document.  While that might be painful for "quick" edits to a book, it's great for shorter documents or to ensure that the toc, references, etc. are up to date.
>
> Bill

Re: LaTeX users: favorite editor??

I use texshop for simple documents (but it does not refresh when we do svn up).
Else I used texmate but now I use xemacs and it works well with pdf sync and others.

On Nov 21, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I looked at the PBE page again and noticed a link to the LaTeX sources for the book, which lead me to wonder what editor you use?  I recently found TeX Maker, and generally like it. My one complaint is that (so far at least) I have found no analog to texify, which (part of MikTeX) would do everything required to update a document.  While that might be painful for "quick" edits to a book, it's great for shorter documents or to ensure that the toc, references, etc. are up to date.
>
> Bill

Re: LaTeX users: favorite editor??

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stef,

I looked at the PBE page again and noticed a link to the LaTeX sources for the book, which lead me to wonder what editor you use?  I recently found TeX Maker, and generally like it. My one complaint is that (so far at least) I have found no analog to texify, which (part of MikTeX) would do everything required to update a document.  While that might be painful for "quick" edits to a book, it's great for shorter documents or to ensure that the toc, references, etc. are up to date.

Simple stuff: LyX. I don't know how well it imports LaTeX, but if LyX has the features you need then it can save a lot of time.

Complex stuff: Emacs with lots of patience, fustration, wasted time and WTFs.

I also use a DVI viewer: xdvi, or a newer one. Make a Makefile which compiles your LaTeX document to a DVI file quickly (via an editor keybinding if you're savvy), and then hit whatever key refreshes the view in the DVI viewer. This saves a lot of time. I've seen other people create a PDF file each time and re-open it in a PDF viewer, which is an incredibly slow process.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/