LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
What is the reason for this? I searched the lists & fogbugz for "labelmodel text" to no avail. To me, "label label: aString" seems odd. Why is this better than "label text: aString"?

In general, for refactors like this, where the purpose is not obvious as it would be for a bug fix or new feature, it would be good to somehow link somewhere for more info. Maybe the deprecation message, since by definition will be deleted in the next verison, would be a good place to put an issue number or url to a discussion. Also, might I humbly suggest having a native English speaker review changes where the intent is to increase "clarity" so we don't have another #ensureCreateDirectory incident ;) j/k... But a grammar/idiom review would be super quick/easy. Maybe a tag or status in fogbugz would help?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
To me, "label label: aString" seems odd
btw this fix broke LabelModel because #initialize still refers to the now non-existent textHolder instVar instead of labelHolder
Cheers,
Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

Nicolai Hess

Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> To me, "label label: aString" seems odd

btw this fix broke LabelModel because #initialize still refers to the now
non-existent textHolder instVar instead of labelHolder

This is now fixed, but the deprecate warnings are annoying.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

Nicolai Hess

What is the reason for this? I searched the lists & fogbugz for "labelmodel
text" to no avail. To me, "label label: aString" seems odd. Why is this
better than "label text: aString"?

I think the idea behind this was, one common api for all widgets with a label
CheckBoxModel /RadioButtonModel /ButtonModel ....
all have a label: method.

But of course, one can argue, a label itself has a text.

In general, for refactors like this, where the purpose is not obvious as it
would be for a bug fix or new feature, it would be good to somehow link
somewhere for more info. Maybe the deprecation message, since by definition
will be deleted in the next verison, would be a good place to put an issue
number or url to a discussion. Also, might I humbly suggest having a native
English speaker review changes where the intent is to increase "clarity" so
we don't have another #ensureCreateDirectory incident ;) j/k... But a
grammar/idiom review would be super quick/easy. Maybe a tag or status in
fogbugz would help?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

stepharo
This is fixed in recent version.

Le 4/3/15 14:04, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>> To me, "label label: aString" seems odd
> btw this fix broke LabelModel because #initialize still refers to the now
> non-existent textHolder instVar instead of labelHolder
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

stepharo
We can use text: I should put it back.
the point is not that, the point is that each widget should expose its valueHolder and we should get rid of the
when...changed:
I was probably confused because the refactoring broke in the middle

[...]

If so, hurry up!
Torsten is about to remove all calls to #text:
For example  (and many more) :
InputWidget and DateModel should use #label: instead of deprecated #text:

[...]

Nicolai Hess wrote
>  We can use text: I should put it back.
If so, hurry up!
It seems like several of the rename issues have been fixed to send #label: already. I guess we keep it?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: LabelModel>>#text: Deprecation

Marcus Denker-4

> On 20 Mar 2015, at 20:35, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolai Hess wrote
>>> We can use text: I should put it back.
>> If so, hurry up!
>
> It seems like several of the rename issues have been fixed to send #label:
> already. I guess we keep it?

Yes, the community is starting to react to a deprecation very fast… it feels even
biological. The deprecation triggered everything to be fixed faster than we could
decide to revert :-)

This is actually amazing.

        Marcus