Lack of Documentation

horrido
I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?

We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.

Re: Lack of Documentation

philippeback

Le 21 déc. 2014 04:48, "Richard Eng" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?
>
> We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.

For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to access fields.

#field1 asJQuery ...

So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read form values as one would in jQuery.

I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.

FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen about that.

HTH
Phik

Re: Lack of Documentation

horrido
Yes, that works. Thanks.

Now, I see that you can add jQuery stuff to the 'body' with appendToJQuery:, but how do you replace what's on the page with all new stuff? You can't just keep appending stuff indefinitely; at some point, you need to wipe the page clean.

On Sunday, 21 December 2014 03:08:31 UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:

Le 21 déc. 2014 04:48, "Richard Eng" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="HRDoeeSwLGcJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> a écrit :

> I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?
>
> We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.

For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to access fields.

#field1 asJQuery ...

So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read form values as one would in jQuery.

I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.

FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen about that.

HTH
Phik

Re: Lack of Documentation

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi Richard,

these are jQuery related questions now and you might consider consulting their documentation now.

First you need to learn how to access other js objects or apis with amber.
Then you will switch to their documentations.

See here:
http://api.jquery.com/replaceWith/

$( "div.second" ).replaceWith( "<h2>New heading</h2>" );

would be once you have a feeling for the Amber way of things...

'div.second' asJQuery replaceWith: '<h2>New heading</h2>'.

There are some more thins that are indeed not so easy to find, but that is what this newsgroup is for.

Sebastian

Yes, that works. Thanks.

Le 21 déc. 2014 04:48, "Richard Eng" <<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="HRDoeeSwLGcJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> a écrit :

> I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?
>
> We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.

For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to access fields.

#field1 asJQuery ...

So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read form values as one would in jQuery.

I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.

FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen about that.

HTH
Phik

Re: Lack of Documentation

horrido
BTW, I should mention that I'd be very happy to contribute documentation to the Amber project, as it is very much lacking. I'm a writer and a programmer, and I'm retired, so I have oodles of time. The problem is, I need to actually know how to program in Amber before I can contribute. So, it's a Catch-22.

The limited number of examples I've found so far are not particularly helpful (the code bases don't even include HTML!). I need to understand generally how to write general Amber apps.

On Sunday, 21 December 2014 03:08:31 UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:

Le 21 déc. 2014 04:48, "Richard Eng" <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="HRDoeeSwLGcJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> a écrit :

> I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?
>
> We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.

For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to access fields.

#field1 asJQuery ...

So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read form values as one would in jQuery.

I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.

FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen about that.

HTH
Phik

Re: Lack of Documentation

Herby Vojčík

Richard Eng wrote:
> BTW, I should mention that I'd be very happy to contribute
> documentation to the Amber project, as it is very much lacking. I'm a
> writer *and* a programmer, and I'm retired, /so I have oodles of
> time/. The problem is, *I need to actually know how to program in
> Amber* before I can contribute. So, it's a Catch-22.

You can call me via screenhero is you need something am I am online and have time (I can make it since I am freelancer).

Herby

Re: Lack of Documentation

philippeback

Le 21 déc. 2014 19:24, "Richard Eng" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Yes, that works. Thanks.
>
> Now, I see that you can add jQuery stuff to the 'body' with appendToJQuery:, but how do you replace what's on the page with all new stuff? You can't just keep appending stuff indefinitely; at some point, you need to wipe the page clean.

aQuery empty.

It does the trick.

Phil

> On Sunday, 21 December 2014 03:08:31 UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:
>>

>> Le 21 déc. 2014 04:48, "Richard Eng" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>> > I'm still having trouble grokking Amber. The severe lack of documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?
>> >
>> > We need more Amber examples that cover the basics of HTML and DOM elements.
>>
>> For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to access fields.
>>
>> #field1 asJQuery ...
>>
>> So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read form values as one would in jQuery.
>>
>> I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.
>>
>> FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen about that.
>>
>> HTH
>> Phik

Re: Lack of Documentation

Herby Vojčík
Smalltalk way to do append and empty+append is #with: and #contents:. If you happen to have not a raw jQuery object, but a TagBrush (which is wrapper around a DOM element), #with: and #contents: just do this all for you (as a rule of a thumb, whatever you pass into #with: / #contents:, behaves as if was sent #appendToJQuery: with the appropriate place filled in, just #contents: first empties it).

Herby

ane.be> wrote:

> documentation is really holding me back. I'm just trying to get a
> handle on the basics of working with HTML elements such as forms and
> input fields. For example, how do I obtain the value that a user types
> into an input field? How do I go about processing a form?

> elements.
> >>
> >> For most of the forms related things, I'd use jQuery facilities to
> access fields.
> >>
> >> #field1 asJQuery ...
> >>
> >> So, as Amber gives direct access to the jQuery API, one can read
> form values as one would in jQuery.
> >>
> >> I am away from the dev box but this should help you getting started.
> >>
> >> FWIW I've started documentation works and there is a piece foreseen
> about t
hat.