Lack of system- and user- resources

JanneL
Hi,

I have a problem with my application written in Dolphin consuming all
the system- and user- resources of my Win98 system.
I can see a reason but not a solution.
The reason is that I have some rather complex top-views with lots of
sub-views, card-views etc. and the resource consumption seem to be
direct related to the number of views within a top-view.
Further more my application is designed for the possibility to have
more than one top-view open at the same time, but this doesn't work
because of lack of system- and user- resources.
As I have seen, the same problem should occur if you try to have let
us say 20 versions of Class Hierachy Browser open which hopefully
means that my code is not to blame.

Do anyone have a solution ??

Another question : Can anyone tell me what limitations Win98 system-
and user-resources have ??

Thanks
JanneL

Re: Lack of system- and user- resources

Blair McGlashan
"JanneL" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my application written in Dolphin consuming all
> the system- and user- resources of my Win98 system.
> I can see a reason but not a solution.
> The reason is that I have some rather complex top-views with lots of
> sub-views, card-views etc. and the resource consumption seem to be
> direct related to the number of views within a top-view.
> Further more my application is designed for the possibility to have
> more than one top-view open at the same time, but this doesn't work
> because of lack of system- and user- resources.
> As I have seen, the same problem should occur if you try to have let
> us say 20 versions of Class Hierachy Browser open which hopefully
> means that my code is not to blame.
>
> Do anyone have a solution ??

The only real solution is to use an NT based system (NT 4.0, Win2k, and XP).
Where that is not an option, you may need to redesign your views.

The first thing to do is to run the resource meter tool to determine whether
you are running out of "User" (mainly Windows, but a few other things), or
"GDI" (icons, bitmaps, canvas', etc) resources.

If you are using a lot of toolbars, there is a bug in 4.0 that might be
relevant. Dolphin attempts to share the bitmaps used on toolbars to save
resources. The idea is that there should be only a single instance of each
bitmap loaded, regardless of how many toolbars are using it. However an
error in the STB fixup for bitmaps actually means that the bitmaps are never
shared, and multiple instances (one per toolbar) will be loaded. This bug
can be patched by modifying the Bitmap>>stbFixup:at: method as pasted below.

> Another question : Can anyone tell me what limitations Win98 system-
> and user-resources have ??

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win32/chili
mit_0ap1.asp

Look down the page for the section on "Logical Objects". This section of
MSDN doesn't seem to mention (on cursory examination) the limiation that
exists on the number of Windows, but surprisingly limited resources are
available on Windows 9x for these.

Regards

Blair

Re: Lack of system- and user- resources

Blair McGlashan
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:a4ru8n$2ll8g$[hidden email]...
>.... This bug
> can be patched by modifying the Bitmap>>stbFixup:at: method as pasted
below.

Sorry forgot the patch.

Blair

------------------------
!Bitmap methodsFor!

stbFixup: anSTBInFiler at: newObjectIndex
 "Answer the true object that must be used to represent the receiver when
read from anSTBInFiler.
 If the receiver is flagged as being shared then make sure we answer a
shared instance and
 patch the in-filer read map to use that shared instance for any other
references."

 | answer |
 answer := super stbFixup: anSTBInFiler at: newObjectIndex.
 self isShared
  ifTrue:
   [answer := self asSharedCopy.
   anSTBInFiler fixup: newObjectIndex to: answer].
 ^answer! !
!Bitmap categoriesFor: #stbFixup:at:!binary filing!public! !

Re: Lack of system- and user- resources

JanneL
I was afraid for that answer, but thanks anyway.

JanneL