Ladder of Abstraction

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

i found this very interesting page:
http://worrydream.com/LadderOfAbstraction/ on Twitter. This is
something that we could envision in future versions of Mondrian: be
able to explore/visualize systems and data in a more interactive way
at multiple levels of abstraction.

I also like the paragraph at the end "Appendix: Tools &
Implementation" with sentences like: "Unfortunately, development
environments generally don't support this process." and "Perhaps IDE
makers will focus on dynamic exploration instead of static analysis,
rich visualization instead of line debugging. Perhaps language
theorists will stop messing around with arrows and dependent types,
and start inventing languages suitable for interactive development and
discovery."

The animation in this page are done with the help on an js library
called Tangle : http://worrydream.com/Tangle/
One nice idea could be use it from Amber Smalltalk in order to have
this kind of exploration and at the same time the IDE suitable to
modify algorithms and parameters.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Ladder of Abstraction

Stéphane Ducasse
I really hope that with the new canvas and cairo/opengl back end we will be able to start building
new generation graphics in Pharo.

Stef

On Oct 13, 2011, at 5:38 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i found this very interesting page:
> http://worrydream.com/LadderOfAbstraction/ on Twitter. This is
> something that we could envision in future versions of Mondrian: be
> able to explore/visualize systems and data in a more interactive way
> at multiple levels of abstraction.
>
> I also like the paragraph at the end "Appendix: Tools &
> Implementation" with sentences like: "Unfortunately, development
> environments generally don't support this process." and "Perhaps IDE
> makers will focus on dynamic exploration instead of static analysis,
> rich visualization instead of line debugging. Perhaps language
> theorists will stop messing around with arrows and dependent types,
> and start inventing languages suitable for interactive development and
> discovery."
>
> The animation in this page are done with the help on an js library
> called Tangle : http://worrydream.com/Tangle/
> One nice idea could be use it from Amber Smalltalk in order to have
> this kind of exploration and at the same time the IDE suitable to
> modify algorithms and parameters.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Ladder of Abstraction

Tudor Girba-2
I hope so, too :)

Doru

On 13 Oct 2011, at 08:00, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I really hope that with the new canvas and cairo/opengl back end we will be able to start building
> new generation graphics in Pharo.
>
> Stef
>
> On Oct 13, 2011, at 5:38 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i found this very interesting page:
>> http://worrydream.com/LadderOfAbstraction/ on Twitter. This is
>> something that we could envision in future versions of Mondrian: be
>> able to explore/visualize systems and data in a more interactive way
>> at multiple levels of abstraction.
>>
>> I also like the paragraph at the end "Appendix: Tools &
>> Implementation" with sentences like: "Unfortunately, development
>> environments generally don't support this process." and "Perhaps IDE
>> makers will focus on dynamic exploration instead of static analysis,
>> rich visualization instead of line debugging. Perhaps language
>> theorists will stop messing around with arrows and dependent types,
>> and start inventing languages suitable for interactive development and
>> discovery."
>>
>> The animation in this page are done with the help on an js library
>> called Tangle : http://worrydream.com/Tangle/
>> One nice idea could be use it from Amber Smalltalk in order to have
>> this kind of exploration and at the same time the IDE suitable to
>> modify algorithms and parameters.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."