Lagoon Question

Kirk Fraser
I'm trying to use Creative Computer Inc.'s 3D Graphics for Dolphin in
my new language LogicTalk which unfortunately is written in VB.  Since
it can call an .exe and pass string messages back and forth in theory,
I'm confident a Dolphin .exe can be made to work eventually.

So I've started by learning how to Lagoon using the example Calculator
package.  Unfortunately it has not been simple.

I was able to solve an error in package comment as follows:
CalculatorSessionManager deploy
CalculatorSessionManager deploy: 'filename'

But I can't seem to navigate the Lagoon Deployment Wizard correctly.
Every option I change gives me a different error.  So could someone
please explain the correct steps implied by Calculator package comment:
... select 'Deploy Executable' from the Package Browser's package
context menu), and follow the instructions

It's those last three words that seem to present difficulty.

Thanks,
Kirk Fraser

Re: Lagoon Question

Andy Bower-3
Overcomer,

> So I've started by learning how to Lagoon using the example Calculator
> package.  Unfortunately it has not been simple.
>
> I was able to solve an error in package comment as follows:
> CalculatorSessionManager deploy
> CalculatorSessionManager deploy: 'filename'

Ok, thanks for the bug report. This error in the comment will be fixed
in the next version. However, as the comment points out, you should not
need to use this method of deployment to an unstripped image file if
you already own Dolphin Professional.

> But I can't seem to navigate the Lagoon Deployment Wizard correctly.
> Every option I change gives me a different error.  So could someone
> please explain the correct steps implied by Calculator package
> comment:  ... select 'Deploy Executable' from the Package Browser's
> package context menu), and follow the instructions
>
> It's those last three words that seem to present difficulty.

Erm... you don't actually mention what errors you are seeing but, for
starters, have you tried not changing any options at all? So:

1) Open the Package Browser
2) Click on the + next to Object Arts in the top left pane.
3) Find the Samples folder in the top left pane and select it.
4) Find the Calculator package in the bottom right pane and select it
then right click on it to bring up the context menu.
5) Choose Lagoon->Deploy Executable to bring up the Lagoon Wizard
6) When the wizard appears click the Deploy button without altering
anything else.
7) Wait about a minute while the stripping process proceeeds.
Eventually you will get a message box informing you that the stripping
is complete and that Dolphin will exit. Click Ok to dismiss the message
box.
8) Find the "Calculator.exe" program that has been deployed and double
click it to run. It should be in the Object Arts\Samples\MVP\Calculator
directory under where you image file is located.

 From a freshly installed Dolphin 5.1 this works fine for me. If you
still have trouble maybe your image file is corrupt. Try:

A) Clicking the "panic" tool bar button in the System Folder and
retrying your deployment.
B) If this still doesn't work then try deploying from a freshly
installed image.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Lagoon Question

Kirk Fraser
Thank you, Andy! Calculator deployment worked great with a fresh image.

After reloading the updates and the CCI packages and then trying it, I
get the message:
CcRenderingContext class does not understand #destroyDefaultContext
So what should I do -- add a dummy method?

May I also suggest the next Lagoon Wizard version include a "restore
defaults" button in case a user saves settings inappropriately.

Re: Lagoon Question

Andy Bower-3
Overcomer,

> After reloading the updates and the CCI packages and then trying it, I
> get the message:
> CcRenderingContext class does not understand #destroyDefaultContext
> So what should I do -- add a dummy method?

The CCI packages are ST3D, right? I'm sorry we don't have much
experience with these so I think you'll have to contact Creative
Computing for an answer (or hope they read this newsgroup). I think
adding a dummy method is probably not the right thing to do.

> May I also suggest the next Lagoon Wizard version include a "restore
> defaults" button in case a user saves settings inappropriately.

I've added this as enhancement request #1881 although I don't think it
will make it into the next release now.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Lagoon Question

Kirk Fraser
Andy,

Yes the CCI packages are ST3D.  There were a couple of small updates
from D5.0 to D5.1.  I've successfully Lagooned my demo in ST3D into an
.exe!  Now to focus closer to my goal, how can I create a .dll?

When I try Deploy Binary Package (on either Calculator or my
RobotAnimation) it asks for a certificate (about which I know zero)
with no certificates in the list and when I select OK it does nothing
apparently.  Shouldn't it have default behavior to create a .dll
without a certificate?

Lagoon's default behavior saves the day on an error about development
class dependancy.  Anyway, how do I make and where do I place a
certificate?

Thanks.

Re: Lagoon Question

Andy Bower-3
Overcomer,

> Yes the CCI packages are ST3D.  There were a couple of small updates
> from D5.0 to D5.1.  I've successfully Lagooned my demo in ST3D into an
> .exe!  Now to focus closer to my goal, how can I create a .dll?

Erm... well I'm afraid you can't.  Dolphin does not support deployment
to DLLs unless they are COM server components.  This means you cannot
create a DLL with simple function calls into it.

> When I try Deploy Binary Package (on either Calculator or my
> RobotAnimation) it asks for a certificate (about which I know zero)
> with no certificates in the list and when I select OK it does nothing
> apparently.  Shouldn't it have default behavior to create a .dll
> without a certificate?

Binary Packages are nothing to do with deploying a DLL.  They were
introduced as a way of distributing the Dolphin Smalltalk applets
across the Web for use with the Web browser plug-in which is
now-defunct. See:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/EducationCentre4/htm/deployingfortheweb.h
tm

There are some other uses for them (see my article in the newsgroup on
Smalltalk WebStart) but I'm afraid they won't help you with the idea of
deploying a DLL.

Best regards

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Lagoon Question

Kirk Fraser
Andy,

A paragraph toward the end of your web page
http://www.object-arts.com/NewFeatures.htm mentions COM Random Stream
sample.  I've tried to deploy that package from both a loaded image and
a new image and get the same result.  It can't find the type library,
Random.tlb which is specified in the class comment.

I notice there is a global variable RANDOMLib which may have the
desired content.  Shall I place the fileout in a folder below the image
or is some other format required?

Hopefully this sample will lead to an actual .dll example which can be
modified for my purpose.  If not, please explain.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: Lagoon Question

rush
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Overcomer,
> Erm... well I'm afraid you can't.  Dolphin does not support deployment
> to DLLs unless they are COM server components.  This means you cannot
> create a DLL with simple function calls into it.

I also had thread about generating plain dll's with simple function calls,
but I guess you were busy at the moment.

If it is not too much to ask, what is the main reason for not beeing able to
do so? Is it because you think there is not enough interest for it, or
because it is considereble amount of work, or because there is some
fundamental blocker so you would have to turn whole Dolphin inside and out
to do it?

is it maybe something that could be cooked at home mostly from allready
existing ingredients in the image? You allready support callback functions,
and you allready can deploy something in the form of dll, how much is
missing?

Also a few days ago while playing with SQLite, I cought myself thinking how
would be nice to be able to statically link some library to the ToGo
executable.  I am not sure that this is really essential, but being able to
deploy the whole app into just one executable is a really a such slick
thing, especially in these days when flash-disks and flash-apps are so
popular. I just can't take a grin of my face when I deliver single exe of
meg or two that needs no or minimujm installation, and  my competitor commes
with 10-20 megs of installation procedures that patch the whole os and
reboot the computer twice to do so.

rush
--
http://www.templatetamer.com/
http://www.folderscavenger.com/

Feature request for DLL deployment

James Foster-3
I'd like to chime in with another request for deployment as a DLL. Dolphin
has such nice call-outs to a DLL and it would be great to be able to deliver
in that manner as well.

James Foster

news:den4fr$lh1$[hidden email]...