Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

Interesting video using Pharo for presenting its points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baxtyeFVn3w

Wondering if anybody else has seen this video. What can be learned from
this outside perspective.

He is mostly positive about Pharo and is using it as an example of
things he would like to see in his world.

He does say that Pharo's GC is not good.

Thoughts.

Jimmie

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
I saw it.  I learned a lot about some things I didn't know about in Pharo.  I had no idea how PetitParser worked.  Now I'm intrigued.

It was an interesting perspective because, while he wasn't pushing Smalltalk, he was pushing for other languages to pursue better environments and tools built in their own languages.  Basically using Pharo as an inspirational "bar raiser" by saying "they did this - we should be able to do it too".

Although I think a lot of why Smalltalk makes that stuff doable is the integrated graphical environment - something most other languages simply don't have.

Not sure what to make of the knocks on Pharo's GC. I had thought the goal was a very aggressive collector to support multimedia

> On Nov 23, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Interesting video using Pharo for presenting its points.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baxtyeFVn3w
>
> Wondering if anybody else has seen this video. What can be learned from this outside perspective.
>
> He is mostly positive about Pharo and is using it as an example of things he would like to see in his world.
>
> He does say that Pharo's GC is not good.
>
> Thoughts.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

Esteban A. Maringolo
I watched it and shared it to friends and social networks.

I think it's an excellent example of good organic marketing from a
not-so-much outsider, but certainly not daily user of Pharo, to an
audience that might have heard about it for the very first time.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

El vie., 23 nov. 2018 a las 16:39, Jimmie Houchin
(<[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Hello,
>
> Interesting video using Pharo for presenting its points.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baxtyeFVn3w
>
> Wondering if anybody else has seen this video. What can be learned from
> this outside perspective.
>
> He is mostly positive about Pharo and is using it as an example of
> things he would like to see in his world.
>
> He does say that Pharo's GC is not good.
>
> Thoughts.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

horrido
I didn't like the fact that he said the Pharo community was really, really
tiny, even compared to the likes of Clojure.

Because the truth hurts.

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
I saw it and really like it. Particularly the part where the speaker
says that is impressed about what a small community with not much
funding can do. Because this is also truth and doesn't hurt at all.

I don't know about the garbage collector. In my case, the more I use the
image and load things on it, the more it becomes slow, but not really
that much and now I can bootstrap kind of the same state in other image
in a really reproducible way, including loading external interactive
Grafoscopio documents.

Talking about numbers, I think that Nadia Eghbal [1] and Benjaming Mako
Hill[2] are making a great job approaching critically to Libre Open
Source communities and demystifying the Bazar and Big Communities behind
peer production and showing how most of the projects are done by small
communities and how the average FLOSS project has a median of one
developer. That doesn't mean that we are living in a dreamed world,
because relying on one person for 97% of the FLOSS over there is clearly
and risk the more that infrastructure becomes digital and relying on
FLOSS. What that means is that we need to care about increasing the
single developer mean for the projects we are working on and that is a
concrete approachable goal. If the Pharo community can make some much
with so little, imagine what we can do with a median of three developers
for project! This is where promoting efforts should be located, in my
opinion.

[1] https://nadiaeghbal.com/
[2] https://mako.cc/

I shared the talk, and several of the Nadia's and Mako's links, with the
local Grafoscopio community (40 members in the Telegram chat and less
that 50 in the mailing list, with some members overlap between them and
with four average active members, not all coders).

Cheers,

Offray

On 23/11/18 18:29, horrido wrote:

> I didn't like the fact that he said the Pharo community was really, really
> tiny, even compared to the likes of Clojure.
>
> Because the truth hurts.

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

dorellang
Loved the Data Studio part. Didn't know it existed, it looks very powerful!

Re: Lambda World 2018 - What FP can learn from Smalltalk by Aditya Siram

askoh
Administrator
Would it be easy to make Smalltalk ideal for Functional Programming so that
the FP community is attracted to the Smalltalk IDE? It would be a shame for
them to invent another half baked IDE.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh